Previous topic - Next topic

trendyironicname

Quote from: studiostud on June 09, 2009, 02:03:27 AM
Quote from: solderman on June 08, 2009, 05:29:59 PM
Quote from: cloudscapes on June 08, 2009, 05:14:44 PM
Quote from: solderman on June 08, 2009, 09:41:19 AM
:o :o :o :o
Absolutly amazing Finish. Really nice job you can be very proud of
How many layers of clear coat is it, 10 or more ? I usualy give mine 3 or 4 and they don't come near yours.

just one layer
(if you consider oozing a second bit of coat whiel the first one is still wet as single)

its not regular clearcoat. it's clear epoxy resin. it has the consistancy of runny syrup and so you just pour it on and even it out with a plastic spoon. gravity takes care of the rest. takes about two days to fully harden, but then you dont need to buff or polish it or anything.
OK, Thank's need to try that some time

Where can you find that stuff?  Is it something that is readily available at local hardware stores? or a specialty item?

In the states you can get it at Lowe's. Over around the paint and chemical area in mine.  It had something about covering bar counters on the front but the box is long gone, so I'm not sure what it exactly says. 
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

updrumr

Quote from: trendyironicname on June 09, 2009, 11:04:39 AM
How many layers of clear coat is it, 10 or more ? I usualy give mine 3 or 4 and they don't come near yours.

just one layer
(if you consider oozing a second bit of coat whiel the first one is still wet as single)

its not regular clearcoat. it's clear epoxy resin. it has the consistancy of runny syrup and so you just pour it on and even it out with a plastic spoon. gravity takes care of the rest. takes about two days to fully harden, but then you dont need to buff or polish it or anything.

Where can you find that stuff?  Is it something that is readily available at local hardware stores? or a specialty item?

In the states you can get it at Lowe's. Over around the paint and chemical area in mine.  It had something about covering bar counters on the front but the box is long gone, so I'm not sure what it exactly says. 

It's called "enviro - tech".  It's in a purple box, I got mine at Menards.  Here's a couple of pics of a box I did with it last year:

Brad.

Stephenson Fabrication. CEO

DWBH

How can this topic be on page 2? :o :o

Anyways, here's my latest pedal

Modded Ibanez TM-5 :icon_twisted:
I'd like to improve it even further, but I'll leave that for version 2 :P

punkin

Quote from: updrumr on June 09, 2009, 08:47:36 PM
Quote from: trendyironicname on June 09, 2009, 11:04:39 AM

just one layer

It's called "enviro - tech".  It's in a purple box, I got mine at Menards.  Here's a couple of pics of a box I did with it last year:

That's a great looking box! Nicely done  :icon_biggrin:
Ernie Ball Music Man - JPM, THD Univalve, Grace Big Daddy, PepperShredder, BSIAB2, FireFly Amplifier.

MikeH

just one layer

How does it do on the sides?  I've tried something similar before but the sides ended up all streaky with drips.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

trendyironicname

Quote from: MikeH on June 11, 2009, 02:40:16 PM

just one layer

How does it do on the sides?  I've tried something similar before but the sides ended up all streaky with drips.

Ive tried everything I can think of.  It all turns out like that for me also.  :(  excitedly waiting an answer too. :)
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Taylor

Quote from: trendyironicname on June 11, 2009, 03:17:07 PM

Ive tried everything I can think of.  It all turns out like that for me also.  :(  excitedly waiting an answer too. :)

Not as excited about reading back a page eh?  :icon_wink:  :icon_biggrin: Just screwing with you guys.

Quote from: cloudscapes on June 07, 2009, 10:53:34 AM
Quote from: Taylor on June 07, 2009, 01:30:31 AM
Etienne, how do you keep the sides of your boxes from looking runny? When I've done the epoxy, the vertical surfaces didn't stay nice and smooth like yours because the epoxy is too liquidy and runs off quickly.

I apply it twice. the second time twenty minutes later when the mix has turned a little syrupy. I use the underside of a plastic spoon to keep the top from having too much, and the excess oozes down the sides.

jakehop

updrumr don't destroy that nice box by putting the knobs on top - put them on the back. It'll soooo be worth it, as it looks killer just like that, with a switch!

Kind regards, Jake

GREEN FUZ

Yeah, I have exactly the same issue. Not sure there is a solution, beyond sanding back and repeating the process. Perhaps finish with a coat of clearcoat.

punkin

Here's my BSIAB2...just finished it today  ;D. My first build with a graphic. Couldn't have done it without the help of the great memebers here on the DIYStompboxed forum!

Ernie Ball Music Man - JPM, THD Univalve, Grace Big Daddy, PepperShredder, BSIAB2, FireFly Amplifier.

Taylor

Quote from: GREEN FUZ on June 11, 2009, 04:41:07 PM

Yeah, I have exactly the same issue. Not sure there is a solution, beyond sanding back and repeating the process. Perhaps finish with a coat of clearcoat.

Is this thing on?

punkin

Here's a group shot of my completed toys  :icon_redface:

Renegadrian

Amazing pedals, Steph...
I really like that BSIAB...Is that etched? And yeah I see TUBES!!! eheheh
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

punkin

No etching yet...Maybe the next one. This was my first build with a graphic...turned out much better than anticipated and...IT SOUNDS GREAT! My next effect will likely be a Dr. Boogey or a higher gain tube unit. The Pepper Shredder (shown on the left), has a really nice classic rock over-driven sound to it...rather crunchy but I'd like something gainy approaching a Mesa Recto sound with a scooped mid.

Thanks Renagadrian for the kind words.

updrumr

Quote from: jakehop on June 11, 2009, 04:27:29 PM
updrumr don't destroy that nice box by putting the knobs on top - put them on the back. It'll soooo be worth it, as it looks killer just like that, with a switch!

Kind regards, Jake

I don't do the guts,  I just fabricate the boxes, and I wanted to try an idea I had.

Here's another one I did,  with the same method:

Brad.

Stephenson Fabrication. CEO

studiostud

Quote from: punkin on June 11, 2009, 06:02:25 PM
Here's a group shot of my completed toys  :icon_redface:

I'm diggin those slick silver knobs.  Where did you pick those up at?
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

punkin

Thanks Studiostud. Super cheap knobs...found them at RadioShack. I like the big knobs as well. Quick n easy.

GREEN FUZ

Taylor

Quote from: Taylor on June 11, 2009, 03:53:43 PM

Not as excited about reading back a page eh?  :icon_wink:  :icon_biggrin: Just screwing with you guys.

Quote from: Taylor on June 07, 2009, 01:30:31 AM
Etienne, how do you keep the sides of your boxes from looking runny? When I've done the epoxy, the vertical surfaces didn't stay nice and smooth like yours because the epoxy is too liquidy and runs off quickly.

I apply it twice. the second time twenty minutes later when the mix has turned a little syrupy. I use the underside of a plastic spoon to keep the top from having too much, and the excess oozes down the sides.

GREEN FUZ

You neglected to include this bit.

it rarely turns out this good, though. usually there is some noticable streaking.

Brilliant as they are, I`ve noticed that cloudscape`s finishes aren`t as consistently flat as the example being referred to. Which is why I wrote...

Quote from: GREEN FUZ on June 11, 2009, 04:41:07 PM
Not sure there is a solution, beyond sanding back and repeating the process. Perhaps finish with a coat of clearcoat.

Which is not a repetition of Etienne`s advice.