News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eh la bas ma

From http://dirtboxlayouts.blogspot.com/2020/12/catalinbread-dirty-little-secret-v2.html

I chose this layout because I only had a small piece of veroboard, not enough for the mk3. I am not sure how much better is the latest version, but the mkii sounds great !

EQ is quite subtle, part of its originality.

I didn't have the right value for 4 or 5 components, so I manage to make my own with smaller values soldered together. I admit 3 caps to get a 470p was a bit too much...

After hours of struggke, fixing shorts and unsoldered links, it worked. I took some paint, and some varnish.
There are 2 extra holes in the middle of the enclosure, so the plastic DVD faceplate was convenient.
For the friendly touch, I added some leftovers from the building process.

Another great circuit, the mostortion :

https://docs.pedalpcb.com/project/OxideDistortion.pdf

Instead of leds as shown on the picture, I finally chose a combination of Bat41 and 1n4148 as clipping alternative.

I am really impressed by this circuit, simple but beautiful and effective. I tried a few types of diodes and I couldn't find a combo as interesting as the standard configuration...

"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.

EBK

Nothing fancy here aesthetically, but I am still quite happy with this build.  This is a MBP Wolfshirt (Foxx Tone Machine).  Fun build and fun tone.

Additionally, I have a new ornament for my tree this year, courtesy of MAS Effects

The circuit is the Nine Volt Nirvana Tape Measure Boost, which is Jack Orman's Muffer without the clipping diodes.  I taught my son how to solder with this.  He soldered all of the resistors.  :icon_cool:

• SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Phend

Nothing like giving the Xmas tree a Boost Eric.
And getting great gift idea(s) you can give to your son.  :icon_biggrin:
I was going to write something about chip vs transistor circuits.
So here I will, having built a few effects now, in my opinion transistors sound better than chips.
That Fox Tone Machine and Big Muff Pi sound very good. Include the EA Tremolo in that stack.!
Kind of like analog vs digital, of course not digital though.
Have Fun, Paul
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Phend

Tube Screamer in a box.
Laser cut, Walnut, Mahogany, Cherry

Happy Holidays All ! (Lasers are fun)

• SUPPORTER+

Phend

TS 808 in a box.
Diode selection,
Pair B ..Two 914
Pair A ..Red Led w/ OA90
Amp Attenuator 1.2 watts max
Two 6V6GT
Three 12AX7
One 12AX7

• SUPPORTER+

sovtek22

My humble workshop

FSFX

My even more humble one. A lot of home built test equipment on my main bench. 

A bit more in another test area:

Toy Sun

Sagan Delay - finally finished. I sat on the boards (Carcharias Effects) for over a year kind of psyching myself up for a complex build.
It was a real learning experience in terms of dealing with multipin connectors and of course the off board wiring. I ended up in a jam and DC6FX helped me out with a delay board hook-up.

Because I'm crazy, I built this as a tabletop unit, which is where I'm heading these days.
I put the LFO Sway and Saturation controls on the front panel, added relay bypass and added placeholder holes on the back panel for future installation of remote (foot) switching of the relay bypass and slam (aware that the slam would be sending audio out of the unit, so maybe not so great...)
Handbulit walnut enclosure (shielded), LED indicators for each of the 3 delays.
It sounds fantastic - I'm actually not much of a delay guy, but this thing is pretty musical.

Not going to post a gut shot, as it's pretty rough, but as a tabletop unit, I don't see it getting shaken around much, so should be OK.

bean

I might have shown an earlier version of this, but here is the final (completely working) version: EHX Stereo Memory Man. This is a terrific sounding "fake stereo" analog delay. I modded the modulation from a switch to fully controllable. When you dial it in correctly, it sounds outstanding in a stereo rig. Layout is a 4-layer PCB.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: EBK on December 13, 2022, 03:58:05 PM
Nothing fancy here aesthetically, but I am still quite happy with this build.  This is a MBP Wolfshirt (Foxx Tone Machine).  Fun build and fun tone.

A modest suggestion for the Wolfshirt.  The Octave switch simply completes/lifts the connection of one of the rectifying diodes to produce the frequency doubling.  However, it still leaves the other diode in series with the signal, removing one half cycle.  Some may find the resulting fuzz less appealing.

So, if one uses an on-off-on SPDT toggle (so no machining required), you can add a third option.  In one side position in connects the diode for the octaving.  In the middle position, it disconnects that 2nd diode for "normal" fuzz.  If one connects the other outside lug of the toggle to the "far" side of the remaining diode, putting the switch in that position bridges the diode, and gets you a more normal-sounding fuzz.

You can give it a test by simply tacking on a little piece of wire between the two pads of the always-on diode, and see if you like (or even notice) the difference.  The distinctiveness will depend on the diodes used; more noticeable with silicon diodes than germanium, and a teensy bit noticeable with germanium than with Schottky.

bean

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 13, 2023, 02:23:04 PM
Quote from: EBK on December 13, 2022, 03:58:05 PM

A modest suggestion for the Wolfshirt.  The Octave switch simply completes/lifts the connection of one of the rectifying diodes to produce the frequency doubling.  However, it still leaves the other diode in series with the signal, removing one half cycle.  Some may find the resulting fuzz less appealing.

So, if one uses an on-off-on SPDT toggle (so no machining required), you can add a third option.  In one side position in connects the diode for the octaving.  In the middle position, it disconnects that 2nd diode for "normal" fuzz.  If one connects the other outside lug of the toggle to the "far" side of the remaining diode, putting the switch in that position bridges the diode, and gets you a more normal-sounding fuzz.

You can give it a test by simply tacking on a little piece of wire between the two pads of the always-on diode, and see if you like (or even notice) the difference.  The distinctiveness will depend on the diodes used; more noticeable with silicon diodes than germanium, and a teensy bit noticeable with germanium than with Schottky.

You know, that absolutely never occurred to me. I think I know what's going to happen on the next revision of the "Wolfshirt". Thanks, Mark!

EBK

I will definitely give that mod a try!

Update: Shorting my 1N34A diode made no noticeable difference.  Possibly noticeable if the diode were silicon, as Mark stated, but I didn't test that scenario.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

rustypinto

Quote from: bean on January 11, 2023, 08:23:25 PM
I might have shown an earlier version of this, but here is the final (completely working) version: EHX Stereo Memory Man. This is a terrific sounding "fake stereo" analog delay. I modded the modulation from a switch to fully controllable. When you dial it in correctly, it sounds outstanding in a stereo rig. Layout is a 4-layer PCB.

I once repaired a 80' something Stereo Memory Man, had some long discontinued regulator that bit the dust.

Its great to see someone still designing analog delays, nice layout work. I remember when you designed the "Dirtbag".
  • SUPPORTER

Mac Walker

Last three builds in DIY enclosures.  Two of them CNC lasercut from a few years ago, the other scraps from guitar builds and aluminum cutoffs.

Fuzzy QC inspector included.  RIP control is basically a gate, Q1 is two silicon transistors piggybacked with an adjustable 5K control between emittors for gain (Miss Piggy V3 for reference).  And a SWTC-3 for high freq. roll off.

QC inspector is a PITA, I barely passed

Also got a new deck during the pandemic and paid a higher price per sqf for exterior space than I paid for interior space on my original house purchase.  Fun times.

bluebunny

Those "scored" folded enclosures look great.  Very cool industrial vibe.  :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

lars-musik

Thanks to your help, I just finished my Vox Pathfinder 15 Preamp Pedal.

Works great!

Phend

ColorSound SupaSustain build.
Made the enclosure from laser cut and etched cast acrylic.
Two 9 volt batteries.
My first use of a LDR in this case a CLM6000.
Used six tropical fish since the were just dead laying around in a bag.
Started with 3904 with the idea of putting in BC169B'S .
Wrong, wasn't about to change to ECB.
So tried 5089 Hfe 870 but ended up with 3409 Hfe 282.
Who knows what the original 169 Hfe was, quite a wide range there.
Fun build, sounds great. Has boost and of course Sustain.

• SUPPORTER+

jmwreck