DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demym

Hi,

i've used version 1 of this software for a lot now.

I also like very much version 2 (maybe more than version 3); but i can't figure out how to export pcb traces for ready to transfer... How can this be done in version 2 ? (it seems to only export full board images)..

Thanks in advance

supertulli

Very nice program!

I'm trying to layout the voodoo lab on a stripboard and to make it really compact i'd like to make some of the resistors and diodes to stand on end, instead of laying on the board. Is there anywway I can do this?  ???

cheers and thx so much.  :)

Pedro.

bancika

Quote from: demym on February 18, 2011, 03:05:26 AM
I also like very much version 2 (maybe more than version 3);

you're probably the only user in the universe who prefers v2 over v3 :) You can't export traces in v2, but you can in v3 :)

Quote from: supertulli on February 18, 2011, 06:30:04 AM
I'm trying to layout the voodoo lab on a stripboard and to make it really compact i'd like to make some of the resistors and diodes to stand on end, instead of laying on the board. Is there anywway I can do this?  ???

this will be supported, stay tuned.

thanks all
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

demym

Eh eh, you're right... :)

but i need to use a tube socket, and i don't find it in v3... other than that, v3 is certainly much quicker and best performing... but, as others have stated, i preferr to see all the components on the left... (but this is not a problem)...

Should i have the tube socket component ? My version is 3.06..

Also, i would like to see smaller pads in perfboard layout (the ones of the perfboard).

Thanks, anyway

jdub

Quotebut i can't figure out how to export pcb traces for ready to transfer... How can this be done in version 2 ? (it seems to only export full board images)...

If I understand what you want to do correctly, you can do this in v2 by first going to "Lock Layers" then selecting "Traces, Pads, Eyelets..." (and "Circuit Boards" if desired for outline).  Then select your entire layout by dragging the mouse around it with left button held down.  Once everything is selected (highlighted in red), press the Delete button on your keyboard; everything will be deleted except traces and pads (because they're locked).  You can then export this trace-only image and resize as usual  ;D
A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim

demym

Great !!

Now that was very simple (but not so simple for me to think about it) !

Thanks very much !

Perrow

Regarding standing resistors, there should be a limit so that when the legs of a resistor are closer than the limit the resistor gets stood up automagically. Possibly for diodes as well.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

bancika

Quote from: Perrow on February 18, 2011, 10:24:02 AM
Regarding standing resistors, there should be a limit so that when the legs of a resistor are closer than the limit the resistor gets stood up automagically. Possibly for diodes as well.

yeah, that's what I thought as well.

Quote from: demym on February 18, 2011, 08:38:29 AM
Should i have the tube socket component ? My version is 3.06..

I'm working on tube sockets (7,8,9-pin) and they will be ready for 3.0.7, probably within a week or so.

cheers

demym

Another question: will the enclosure object will be included in version 3 ? I found it very useful on v2 to have an idea of spaces inside boxes...

maybe not indispensable, but certainly useful..

Also, the geometrical shapes would be useful too..

Anyway, thanx

bancika

3.0.7 is out with tube sockets and many usability improvements. Check out Config menu to turn some of the new features on and off.

And yup, enclosures and geometrical shapes are on the "to do" list.

cheers

demym

Very good Bancika, the new features are very useful. Thanks.

Some new points:

- Could also the resistors have an auto-size (as in version 1) ? If i put a resistor crossing only two tracks of a stripboard (usually vertically), it's not very clear
displayed.

-  when designing copper traces in continuous creation mode, if the first strip, after editing it, is 2mm large, the next ones (auto-created) are created still of 1mm; in my opinion would be better if the width is the last one used.

Anyway, thx once !

bancika

Standing resistors will be added soon. As for the other request, it's already there. When you edit width to 2mm just check that box on the right, it will make it default for all traces you create after that (even when you restart the app).
Cheers

bancika

standing resistors and few other new features are released
cheers

Perrow

Feature request: Load/Save defaults

I don't actually know if I'll use it myself, but for people designing amps and stompboxes I guess it'd be quite a nice feature to be able to swap all default sizes in one simple move.

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

bancika

there's a workaround for that. Defaults are saved in config.xml when you check the box on the right side of the editor. You can set defaults for pedals, make a copy of config.xml , then set defaults for amps and make another copy. You can then joggle these two and replace config.xml with one of them to use the defaults you need.
I know it's not the easiest way, but it works like a charm :)
Cheers

Perrow

And another feature request: Select dpi when exporting trace and image to png. I do some post processing now as part of my style and the current dpi is NOT enough.

I want to get somewhere like this :)

This is actually done in V3 (screen dump into PaintDotNet for extra processing).

bancika

Perrow

Quote from: bancika on March 03, 2011, 06:37:01 PM
looks pretty :)

Oldified :)

It's a Noise Ensemble (with two parts moved to remove a column). I need some dpi to work with even if I scale it up and down as part of the process, though I must say the zoom function of V3 brought a smile to my face. Just have to figure out what dpi it gets me  ;D