DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bancika

And here's new version:

http://www.storm-software.co.yu/temp/diylc_alpha.zip

Changes:

• Added rulers, in both inches and cm
  • Some new component(s), can't remember which :)
  • All components are 100% opaque by default but you can change transparency for most of them.
  • Few minor improvements...

Cheers
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

bancika

scaesic

nice.

not had much time to play with the new alpha. got a crash though. Dont know if it was related, i can check in cmd later, but It happened when i was trying to send a pot to the back, so i could attach a wire to the terminal.

it didint really crash completely, the program just froze up so i couldnt select anythign other than the X to close the program.

scaesic

There's definetly a problem on my pc with sending a pot to the back if it's on top of an enclosure. Must be some kind of conflict going on between the two.

bancika

bancika

I fixed it. By the way, you can't send pot to the back of the enclosure anyways, they are in different ZOrder classes.

Here's more info.

Class 0 - enclosures
Class 1 - boards
Class 2 - solder pads, traces, eyelets
Class 3 - components, wires.

I think that makes more sense

scaesic

Quote from: bancika on December 08, 2007, 02:16:49 PM
I fixed it. By the way, you can't send pot to the back of the enclosure anyways, they are in different ZOrder classes.

Here's more info.

Class 0 - enclosures
Class 1 - boards
Class 2 - solder pads, traces, eyelets
Class 3 - components, wires.

I think that makes more sense
Cool.

Yeah, i wasnt trying to send it to the back of the enclosure,the ordering does make sense, i was trying to send it behind a wire, but the whole thing was on top of an enclosure. Even if you can't send it to the back, it's better that it doesnt deal with the conflict by crashing, better to find out now than later.

Only thing i can think may be worth considering, is having wires as class 4?
Anyways, i still cant express how appreciative i, and everyone else here, is, that you've taken so much time to write this thing.

scaesic

*edit* Or you could go one step more and have all offboard stuff (wires, switches, pots) as class 4.

bancika

It's my pleasure to give back something to DIY community I learned so much from.

As for component classes, it's trivial to change. Open any XML component file and you'll see zOrder property in the first line. It defines class. The beauty of modular engine :)

bancika

I have just released new alpha, here's http://www.storm-software.co.yu/diylc/diylc_alpha.zip . Try BOM button, it creates editable table with all component parts with ability to save to HTML. I just added that feature, it's probably not perfect. Ideas are highly welcome. Most components are improved, few added. check out twisted wires, that one is the most complicated math-wise so far. Also, components now contain part# property that's used to create BOM. It's nice to have mouser part # or something when looking at BOM. Most components now have floating label attached. I did that just by using existing engine: just with additional control point that controls only text position. By dragging that control point you can set text wherever you wish. It doesn't work quite well for capacitors or similar 2-point components because when you change just one point text point will not move, but it's good enough for now.

scaesic

BOM gives me something slightly odd. Instead of creating new entries, i have

Encosure, C1, IC1, VR1, C2 - for the first entry. Resistors come up in their own entry so that seems ok.

bancika

yeah, it collapses by value and since enclosure's don't have a value (and you probably didn't fill in value for VR and C) so it  puts them in the same row.

Styxx

Quote from: bancika on December 07, 2007, 11:56:48 AM
And here's new version:

Changes:

• All components are 100% opaque by default but you can change transparency for most of them.

Cheers

Sorry, how do I go about installing that?

scaesic

Quote from: Styxx on December 09, 2007, 09:49:16 AM
Quote from: bancika on December 07, 2007, 11:56:48 AM
And here's new version:

Changes:

Cheers

Sorry, how do I go about installing that?

Unzip and double click the jar file.

Thats assuming you have java installed, if not go to the sun website and install.

scaesic

Quote from: bancika on December 09, 2007, 09:37:19 AM
yeah, it collapses by value and since enclosure's don't have a value (and you probably didn't fill in value for VR and C) so it  puts them in the same row.

In that case it works fine.

Is there a way to attach the seperate wires on the twisted wires component?

Styxx

Quote from: scaesic on December 09, 2007, 09:50:44 AM
Unzip and double click the jar file.

Thats assuming you have java installed, if not go to the sun website and install.

Ace, thanks!

bancika

Quote from: scaesic on December 09, 2007, 09:51:43 AM
Is there a way to attach the seperate wires on the twisted wires component?

yeah, just create separate single wires and put them together. See this:

mdh

I don't know if anyone else is tracking this project under Linux, but I'm happy to report that the latest alpha runs and seems to function correctly (I'm not sure of all of the features) on Ubuntu Dapper.  GNU Java in Dapper is version 1.4.2, so you have to install Sun Java 5.  The easiest way to do this in Dapper is to activate the multiverse repository and install the sun-java5-* packages.  The binaries will end up residing in  /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/bin/, so you will probably want to make a link to java in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.

Thanks for all the work, Bancika!

bancika

slacker

It also works fine for me on linux using Slackware 12 with java 6.

Any news on when vero will work? I've also noticed that you don't seem to be able to rotate components like transistors and  opamps.

Looking really good though, keep up the good work, it's appreciated :)