DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roobin

I was just playing around with it, and I noticed a few things (don't worry, it's not more 'can's!):

- The save button does work, once you've closed the project and re-opened your file
- After some time (and a lot of wires...they're sooo addictive!), background music/whatever starts to get sluggish and breaks up. But if you close DIYLC and re-open your project, it goes back to performing normally.

P.s. Just noticed newer version, haven't tried this stuff on it.

bancika

It wasn't save that didn't work, but load :) Anyways, I fixed it. Next version will have option to group/ungroup selection.
Cheers
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

Roobin

Load doesn't work?? In which version? Because it does in mine...

bancika

wampcat1

this may have been covered already but is there any chance of having more than one level of "undo"?
bw

bancika

wampcat1

Quote from: bancika on December 21, 2007, 02:15:01 PM
how do you mean? you can go back without any limits...

Maybe I have an old version... I only have one level of 'undo'...

I have the one "released 18.10.2006"

bw

bancika

wampcat1

Quote from: bancika on December 21, 2007, 02:48:25 PM
that one should work ok as well.

Unfortunately, it only does "undo" once. after that, it won't undo anymore...
bw

scaesic

I know atm the app is still in production so it's pointless asking just now, but how hard is it going to be to make your own components? is there going to be a small tutorial online, or is there already websites that we can use just now?

One component that still need updated is the opamp schematic. it has no legs.

bancika

I could put together a tutorial, should take  too much time and it's not too hard. Check out those XML files and I'm sure you could figure out how it works just by looking at existing components.

Edit: but only when I'm happy with component engine and don't have plans to modify it...which is still not the case :)

Barcode80

i have to disagree with the BOM being a suitable replacement for the component list. if i am hosting my layouts on a photo site or something, i have nowhere to put a BOM. how about both?

also, i can't even FIND the undo on the java version.

Quote from: wampcat1 on December 21, 2007, 02:52:15 PM

bw

this is true of my version of the base software as well. brian, it should be noted that most of the discussion has now moved to developing the java version of the software, so i don't think bancika is going to fix that little bug in the old exe one.

bancika

if you're talking about old version, I don't have intentions of making updates for it. Java version will be up soon.
I don't have source code for old version here, nor do I have delphi...
As for undo, it was there until last version, I forgot to move it to main menu...will be fixed.
I'll try to add BOM inside image option.

cheers

dumbmonkey

Hello.
As a newcomer to the building game, I have been itching to try this software out.  I would love to be able to learn how to create my own layouts and have been experimenting with Eagle but I can't seem to get my layouts to work out effectively.  As a Mac user, I haven't been able to try DIYLC until just recently, but I really like what I'm seeing so far. 
Now I need to get that book!

bancika

dumbmonkey

Ooops sorry!  I guess that's what happens when you assume...
I meant R.G.'s "PCB Layout For Musical Effects".  I'm going to order it from Small Bear after the holiday craziness is over. I heard it's really helpful for learning to go from schematic to layout. 
Chris

wampcat1

Quote from: Barcode80 on December 22, 2007, 02:31:26 AM
i have to disagree with the BOM being a suitable replacement for the component list. if i am hosting my layouts on a photo site or something, i have nowhere to put a BOM. how about both?

also, i can't even FIND the undo on the java version.

Quote from: wampcat1 on December 21, 2007, 02:52:15 PM

bw

this is true of my version of the base software as well. brian, it should be noted that most of the discussion has now moved to developing the java version of the software, so i don't think bancika is going to fix that little bug in the old exe one.

that tells you how far behind I am... I didn't even realize there was a newer version!  :icon_mrgreen:
bw

slacker

I've just done my first vero layout using the latest version, it's very nice to use and certainly a lot easier than using the GIMP which is what I was using before.
At the minute there's no trace cut symbol for vero layouts though, so I used the eyelet symbol instead which looks ok, but it would be great if this could be added.

I also noticed that if you make a resistor stand on its end so it spans 2 tracks it looks ok when you're designing the layout because you can see the dots that show the connections but when you save the layout as a png image you can't see the dots and it's not very clear where the resistor is supposed to be connected. I don't know what the best solution to this is, perhaps like someone has suggested you could have a symbol for a resistor standing on its end or keep the connections visible in the png like they are for capacitors.

Another nice feature for the future would be to be able to change the default properties of the components. For example I mostly use 5mm electo caps but the default is 8mm so I had to edit every cap I added. I got round this for now by editing the XML file for the component, but a way of doing it within the program would be nice.

Thanks again for this great program  :)

bancika

I'll make standing resistor, no problem, it's very easy.
As for default, it's probably not worth the effort to make some GUI around it since it's very easy to change XML file defaults.
Before I make first production release (btw, I think it's mature enough to go to beta soon) I'll set defaults to the most common used sizes.
Cheers

slacker

Cool, like you say it's easy enough to edit the XML files, if you want to.