New Zvex Distortion

Started by WGTP, August 21, 2006, 05:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cliff Schecht

I noticed that you had those video demo's on your site. Very good idea! I was impressed by your Ring Modulator idea also. Is it a true Ring Modulator (ie Diode Ring) or is it an adder chip of some sort?

Joe Kramer

Hey Z: Thanks for your response.  Apology appreciated, but not really necessary.  Mainly my concern is to be able to go on using the name "Distortion Engine" for my stuff without any conflicts either way.  I did a search back when I built those (early 2000) and the only thing that came up at the time was a car engine analysis site.  The phrase"Distortion Engine" wasn't in use anywhere else that I could find then, but as you say, it's all over the place now.  (That is, all over except for any reference to my pedals, but maybe that's because I've built and sold only about 10 or 11 at this point.  Not exactly high profile, you think?)  Anyway, I admire your stuff, and it's a bonus to find out there's a gracious person behind it.   :icon_cool:

Hey Pushtone: Thanks for the nod, it's always nice to get some credit.  :icon_smile:  I had done a guitar pickguard out of etched aluminum as early as about '88.  Later, the idea hit me to do pedal boxes that way because the Sharpie ink by itself just kept wearing off. . . .

Solder first, ask questions later.

www.droolbrothers.com

zachary vex

Quote from: Cliff Schecht on August 22, 2006, 12:44:54 AM
I noticed that you had those video demo's on your site. Very good idea! I was impressed by your Ring Modulator idea also. Is it a true Ring Modulator (ie Diode Ring) or is it an adder chip of some sort?

it's a diode ring, using 4 schottkys and two transformers.

Doug_H

I was thinking of playing around with stringing mosfets together like some of the jfet ideas. I think the blackstone pedal may do a similar kind of thing.

The BOR looks like it will be a cool pedal. I'm looking forward to seeing the video. 

d95err

About the copyright discussion, it looks like there was some confusion on the terminology.

A name is not complex enough to be covered by the laws on copyrights. However, when used to identify a product or technology, a name can be protected as a Trademark. The laws are similar, but it's still two different concepts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark

If I understand correctly, protection of a trademark is also automatic, but to have a real chance of defending it in court, it should preferably be registered. I assume that putting the "TM" on a name has no particular legal effect. It's just a way of making it clear that you consider it your trademark. After registering the trademark with the Trademark office (I assume this is similar to a patent application), you can put the (R) symbol on the name.

Paul Marossy

That's kind of neat how you can use the SHO circuit as building blocks for something else. Not only is it simple and unique, it seems to be versatile, too!

FcKw

There is a video on gearwire.com of you Z.Vex presenting all of your pedals on the Winter NAMM 2006 inclusive the new Box of Rock! Surely the video has not the best audio quality, but we can get a first (and short) impression. :)

http://www.gearwire.com/zvex.html

RDV

zachary vex

Erik Sexe and i are shooting the first attempt at a video for it tonight, using one of my Marshall JTM45/100 reissues.  i love those amps... so smooth!  i'm trying to get a decent signal path going...

JTM 45/100--> custom low-wattage alnico Celestion reissue cab designed for that head--> Beyer M160 hypercardiod ribbon mic a few inches off the middle of the paper part of the cone--> VMP-2 tube mic preamp--> M-Box line in--> Logic on my iBook.

Joe Kramer

I can vouch for the VMP-2.   That preamp can make an SM57 sound expensive, so it ought to sound pretty good with the Beyer.  It's one of the few pieces of gear I own that's not modded (except for replacing the tubes).  Wish Peavey still made em.

Solder first, ask questions later.

www.droolbrothers.com

Primus

You don't need to send it to the copyright office. Just put the C, the name, and the date. Registering with the copyright office has the advantage that you have a proven date of your copyright. Or, you could mail it to yourself and get it postmarked by the USPS.

scotsman

Quote from: Primus on August 22, 2006, 10:18:38 PM
You don't need to send it to the copyright office. Just put the C, the name, and the date. Registering with the copyright office has the advantage that you have a proven date of your copyright. Or, you could mail it to yourself and get it postmarked by the USPS.

Just a quick thought - if you can't prove that something is copywritten how can you expect it to be enforced?  If you are truely serious you'd better file - it's only around $20. 

Mailing it to yourself is a waste of a stamp - quite honestly.. I'd have a field day in court with someone on that issue - who's to say the envelope was sealed when it was mailed?  It's not valid at all. 

scaesic

Quote from: scotsman on August 22, 2006, 10:55:52 PM
who's to say the envelope was sealed when it was mailed?
the postal service.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: scaesic on August 23, 2006, 11:06:10 AM
the postal service.

If I were in a jury, I would be quite skeptical of the mailed envelope thing. I would need some more proof than that to establish who came up with the copyright subject in question.

scaesic

Quote from: Paul Marossy on August 23, 2006, 11:12:13 AM
Quote from: scaesic on August 23, 2006, 11:06:10 AM
the postal service.

If I were in a jury, I would be quite skeptical of the mailed envelope thing. I would need some more proof than that to establish who came up with the copyright subject in question.
i don't knwo what it's like in the usa, but in the uk we have a thing called "recorded delivery". This involves you signing a slip, which the royal mail staff witness, then seal the envelope with the slip. The delivery is then signed for and witnessed by the mailman, who logs the delivery in the royal mail database.

how does a recorded signed/dated delivery receipt with the same recorded delivery number as the seal on the envelope sound for proof?
i suspect it'd also be kept on the royal mails database (to avoid them getting lawsuits), that's why you pay the extra to get it recorded.

this is pretty common practice for bands to copyright they're own material. However, personally if i was to venture into the buisness world, i would be registering any trademarks i wanted to use. things like trademarks and names are pretty easy to come up with, and are more likely to conflict.

Paul Marossy

Quotehow does a recorded signed/dated delivery receipt with the same recorded delivery number as the seal on the envelope sound for proof?

We have that in the USA, too - it's called Registered Mail. That's not the problem. The problem is proving that what is in envelope today was in the envelope at the time of delivery. That's where the burden of proof is.

Doug_H

Wow, how did this thread get hijacked into a "yet another" copyright discussion?!?

Looking forward to the BOR video...

Paul Marossy

Yeah! Let's get back on topic, shall we?  :icon_cool:

WGTP

No, No, No, you guys aren't doing this right at all.  This is supposed to go like the Fuzz Factory threads.  I guess I need to make up a schematic (having never seen one in person) and post it somewhere anonymously and then we can argue about whether it is the real one or not.   :icon_rolleyes:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Paul Marossy

QuoteNo, No, No, you guys aren't doing this right at all.  This is supposed to go like the Fuzz Factory threads.  I guess I need to make up a schematic (having never seen one in person) and post it somewhere anonymously and then we can argue about whether it is the real one or not.

Oh yeah, what was I thinking?! That's the long standing tradition...  :icon_lol: