A/DA Flanger does TZF?

Started by Dave_B, September 29, 2006, 05:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitefly182

Quote from: scottso on October 28, 2007, 05:44:56 PM
Changing R13 from a 10k to 4.7k did the trick.  The pedal sounds even better now that I could adjust TR1!  Thanks for the help!

Now my question is.. what do we do when you can't find the SAD1024 anymore? :)

Thats why Im trying to get a second board and another SAD1024 just to be sure.

Does anyone know what the 2 extra 27k resistors in the BOM are for?

puretube

Changing R13 from a 10k to 4.7k did the trick.  The pedal sounds even better now that I could adjust TR1!  Thanks for the help!

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=49929.msg385202#msg385202
or:
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=245

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: Joe Kramer on October 28, 2007, 02:28:31 PM
Hey, there's plenty of love to go around, especially for you Stephen, one of the original ganstsas of the DIY A/DA flanger!   :icon_wink:
You got that right. If not for Mr. Giles' willingness to share his expertise and experience with these flanger ideas, a hack job artist like myself would be still be shaking his head with a dazed and confused look (I still do, but that's another story altogether :icon_lol:)
StephenGiles: Godfather of things that go wooosh and swoosh ;D. Thanks again Stephen!
Glad you got that issue solved. Great pedal, eh?
No more SAD1024s will happen someday. Guess somebody will have to do another re-design, like when the MN3010 went (pretty much) extinct. Any volunteers?  :icon_lol:
Rock On!
osa
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

scottso

Yeah this pedal is awesome.  I feel fortunate that I had just stumbled upon the thread.  My next project wasn't even going to be a flanger. :) 

What cases do you guys use for these?  I'm hesitant to lay out the bucks on a 1790 if its not going fit...  I'd prefer something with a little more room (I have fat fingers! :D)

Nitefly182

Quote from: scottso on October 28, 2007, 07:43:32 PM
Yeah this pedal is awesome.  I feel fortunate that I had just stumbled upon the thread.  My next project wasn't even going to be a flanger. :) 

What cases do you guys use for these?  I'm hesitant to lay out the bucks on a 1790 if its not going fit...  I'd prefer something with a little more room (I have fat fingers! :D)

I was planning on a 1790 and have one drilled if someone wants to give it a shot but one of the caps hangs over the edge of the PCB on mineso it didn't fit once I populated the board. Im thinking about using a hammond sloped enclosure right now.

Nitefly182

Just finished mine and it rules. I need some help with the functions of the individual trims though. Im very close but the sweep seems a little off axis. I also have a slight distortion problem  but its very minor. I'm pretty sure both of those are trim issues. Can anyone tell me what the functions of the individual trims are?                     

puretube

Quote from: scottso on October 28, 2007, 07:43:32 PM

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=61368.0
looks like this:
http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/3381/img12200mo1.jpg

Nitefly182

A couple weird issues after some tweaking.

1. There seems to be a bit of background distortion when playing clean and I dont know where its coming from. Anyone else notice background distortion in their build.
2. The completed pedal runs fine on 9 volts... dont know what to make of that at all. Im not sure that the 18v supply I was using was actually putting out 18v though so I might need to go somewhere and get an 18v supply tomorrow. It doesn't sound excessively thin or lose headroom although the background distortion may be because I haven't used it at 18v yet. Still, I could easily use this pedal with a 9v supply which is weirding me out.

oldschoolanalog

Distortion as in the signal being distorted; or; distortion as in background noise? If it's the signal, I'd re-check the bias trimpot. If it's background noise, the gate should resolve it without issue. First get it the proper supply V and take it from there.
All the Best
osa
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

StephenGiles

The SAD1024 will run perfectly well on 9v if properly biased - run probably isn't the right word, but you won't have as much headroom.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Nitefly182

I recalibrated it after making an 18V y cable for my PPII and it sounds much better and the distortion is gone. Here is the retweaked and finished pedal:

oldschoolanalog

Nice job! I really like the use of the term "activate"!  :icon_cool:
osa

Nitefly182

Thanks. For such a complicated pedal this wasn't all that hard really. I had the one issue with power but otherwise it worked right off that bat.

StephenGiles

No, it's not crappy at all, it sounds brilliant. I next have the house to myself next Monday so ........amp up to 11 and full ADA sweep!!! :icon_biggrin:
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: StephenGiles on November 01, 2007, 02:33:40 PM
No, it's not crappy at all, it sounds brilliant. I next have the house to myself next Monday so ........amp up to 11 and full ADA sweep!!! :icon_biggrin:
Don't forget to use an "octave doubling" distortion in front of it!  :icon_twisted:
osa

Nitefly182

Ive used in my rectifier's loop and it sounded great. A modded screamer clone also produced great results but I think a muff may be the trick for massive jet flybys.   

stumper1

I'm finally working on my Rev01 board.  For C6 should I use a 2.2u polarized electro or 2 1u tants? If I use the electro, which side is which?  With the tants, I believe I should wire (-) to (-).  Is that correct?

Thanks
Deric®

slacker

A 2.2u electro will be fine the positive side goes towards the diodes (D2 and D4).

stumper1

Deric®