Magnetic offset on Wah Inductors.

Started by alderbody, March 19, 2007, 03:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alderbody

It's a topic that has been discussed in the past, so it was about time i tried my own.

I used a pickup polepiece, as one of the forum members did, and tried it on all 4 inductors in my Wah.

The Yellow Fasel seemed to like it the most in there, while the Fulltone was the one that attracted the magnet in the strongest manner, because of the ferrous core used in these inductors. (so it's true and not BS...)

Here's how it looks like:

I recorded some clips, with and without the magnet attached and with or without the treble Mod.

With the Treble mod engaged, i believe the effect is not so easily audible in the clips, but it remains audible in the real world...

Generally, i think the magnetic offset adds warmth and sweetness to the Wah tone.
The sound is fatter and the "saturation" is more evident.

But you have to A/B to tell clearly.

Listen and "see" for yourselves!

http://www.diystompboxes.com/userfiles/index.php?&direction=0&order=&directory=public_downloads

Wah_YF_Lamp.mp3
Wah_YF_mag_Lamp.mp3   

Wah_YF_T_Lamp.mp3
Wah_YF_T_mag_Lamp.mp3

John Lyons

The Magnet (on) clips for sure sounds "sweeter" Fuller, more vocal and less shrill. Nice!

Which wah circuit is this?

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

alderbody

Quote from: Basicaudio on March 19, 2007, 12:06:31 PM
The Magnet (on) clips for sure sounds "sweeter" Fuller, more vocal and less shrill. Nice!

Which wah circuit is this?

John

Thanks again, John!

Well, the circuit i used is based on the classic Vox, with most of the Mod-able parts  ...mod-able!...   :icon_mrgreen:

I just built it on perfboard. I needed more free space: (an older pic without the magnet)

alderbody

The more i play with the "magnetised" inductor, the more i realise the benefits of the added vocality and fullness/sweetness.

I think i'm gonna re-experiment with the other inductors, too.

this trick is definitely a keeper!   :icon_wink:

Skreddy

That's the hotness.  Thanks for delivering clips that make the difference audible.  I knew I was hearing something.  :D

Again I'll warn everyone who wants to do this: don't try it with super-powerful, rare-earth magnets.  That will turn your inductor into a microphone.  :P

momo

That sounds like an easy mod and test that I will definetly try, now about rendering the inductor a microphone, can you break the inductor if the magnet is too strong? I would be trying different strenghts but if it means possibly breaking my custon inductor then I wont try. I dont think it would be a problem since there are no moving parts,but I just want to make sure!
Thanks for this awsome tip!
"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."

momo

:icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: Yeeaaaa! Awsome,  just when I thought my modified wha was as best as it could be,.... I did not have a pickup pole handy but found a small magnet that goes on one half of a lid that magnetically latches to a small metal part on the other half, not that strong but lets say its strong enough to stay put on top of the inductor, I actually tried different positions,vertical,horizontal, and on top. The different positions dont make much difference, but what a tone!, its stinging now on the high end! and feal funky low mid on the low end!
This is so much a keeper that I used a tiny piece of blue gum,the type you use to tack posters to the wall, you rub it good in your hand and it warms up, and "tacked" it on my "Whipple inductor" from Dandy Job, unless I drop the wah I would be very surprised if it comes loose.

I will post pics soon when I get my camera back. I would also like to put up sound samples, can anyone suggest a carrier for the actual MP3's?

Note: It seems that this mod also adds a bit of distortion, even when tested clean with no other effects. I really like it, but I would be interested in knowing why this happends if anybody can chip in.
Great great mod!

alextheian-alex

Just a thought, but you could probably pretty easily rig up an electromagnet with a coil around a piece of ferromagnetic metal.  Then you could rig up a little circuit that you could controll externally to vary the strength of the magnetic field.  I'd try it out, but I am letting a friend borrow my wah...

petemoore

Certainly does sound like it.
  Nice Wah clips !!
  Listening to the YF, no magnet...well it sounded alot like the YF I have in my Vox...which I've modded umpteen times, thrice for each mod I think.
  Listening to the YF with magnet, the clip sounds like it has increase of 'body' or deepness, sounds smooth too...there's some Adj.'s for my soundclip review, alot mo-different than what I'd excpected...
  I'm going to see if I can dig up the pole pieces out of the dead pickup.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

alderbody

Quote from: Skreddy on March 21, 2007, 05:23:27 PM
That's the hotness.  Thanks for delivering clips that make the difference audible.  I knew I was hearing something.  :D

great trick, man!... The Fender polepiece is the key to the magic...  :icon_mrgreen:

alderbody

Quote from: momo on March 21, 2007, 08:28:49 PM
  I would also like to put up sound samples, can anyone suggest a carrier for the actual MP3's?

...right under your feet!...

http://www.diystompboxes.com/userfiles/index.php?&direction=0&order=&directory=public_downloads 

:icon_mrgreen:  :icon_mrgreen:  :icon_mrgreen:

alderbody

Quote from: petemoore on March 22, 2007, 01:51:21 AM
  Certainly does sound like it.
  Nice Wah clips !!
  Listening to the YF, no magnet...well it sounded alot like the YF I have in my Vox...which I've modded umpteen times, thrice for each mod I think.
  Listening to the YF with magnet, the clip sounds like it has increase of 'body' or deepness, sounds smooth too...there's some Adj.'s for my soundclip review, alot mo-different than what I'd excpected...
  I'm going to see if I can dig up the pole pieces out of the dead pickup.

Thanks for your kind words!

The YF was purchased from Aron's online shop and it's tested for value etc...

My RF was purchased from somewhere else, without being tested pior to shipping, so i'm not sure if it is 100% within spec.

It sounds good, but i like my YF (even without the magnet) way much more.

Now, about the magnet....

...something tells me that dead fender pickups will start to gain some value on ebay...   :icon_mrgreen:

Enjoy!

momo

Just an update on this mod, I played with it all weekend in real world situation and well, Im not sure anymore!  I did not use a pole piece magnet but a slight stronger magnet that is used to "latch" on to a lid. I think its too strong, the thing is I like the tone, but its more like a treble booster, when I kick in the wha, I get a huge boost in volume. I do like this tone , but its not versatile, if I had a second wha, then that would be used for one effect. So Ill definetly try a pole piece if I can find one.
Or maybe try to put my magnet a bit further away...

alderbody

With the pp there are no strange effects. Just pure tonal benefit!...

try it!

enigmur

Does this work with your average wah inductor - as in not a Fasel?

I'd be interested in giving it a go.

Cheers
Quote from: jlullo on May 02, 2007, 12:37:12 AM
i have to get my hands on some of your germs.  very soon.
Anywhere but here, that would seem odd...

alderbody

Quote from: enigmur on March 28, 2007, 05:14:39 AM
Does this work with your average wah inductor - as in not a Fasel?

I'd be interested in giving it a go.

Cheers

yep. I just found that it suited that specific Fasel more than the other inductors in my Wah.

R.G.

Sweet. It's good that this mod is getting some play.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Paul Marossy

RG: Wouldn't this mod essentially create some amount of asymmetrical distortion, kind of like the one you did a study on in your Tech of the Wah article?

R.G.

Yes - it IS the same thing as I found in the 'magic' inductor. It's done by sticking a magnet onto the core, but it is the same effect. It causes the core to be closer to the edge of its magnetic linear range in one direction than another.

What's really clever is finding out that a fender pole piece is enough. That's sweet.

Anybody want to bet on how long it takes Dunlop to put out a "Magic Magnet" version?

:icon_lol:

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Paul Marossy

QuoteYes - it IS the same thing as I found in the 'magic' inductor. It's done by sticking a magnet onto the core, but it is the same effect. It causes the core to be closer to the edge of its magnetic linear range in one direction than another.

Huh, that's what I thought.  :icon_razz:

QuoteWhat's really clever is finding out that a fender pole piece is enough. That's sweet.

Yeah, that's pretty slick!  :icon_surprised:

QuoteAnybody want to bet on how long it takes Dunlop to put out a "Magic Magnet" version?

I wonder if they lurk here. Time will tell...  :icon_cool: