News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Funky Enclosures

Started by reggaestylee9103, January 25, 2008, 08:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reggaestylee9103

Does anyone know where I can get some different enclosures, like round ones or some other crazy shape. I'm looking for something out of the ordinary rather than just the hammond style boxes I've been using

runmikeyrun

a look at the pictures thread would be a good start, but i am always on the lookout for potential stuff- places like hardware stores, electronics stores, military surplus stores, target, even swap meets.  Whenever i'm at a store i'm scanning everything for its potential to be an enclosure. 

I found two really cool sloped oil covers for a vintage honda motorcycle engine last year at a vintage bike swap meet, and also found a really neat wooden coffin at the local discount store at halloween, i just had to pry the plastic vampire out that was glued to the bottom.  I scored diamond plate from the scrap bin at work and bent an enclosure for a rack mount BBE sonic maximizer.  Ebay is also a good place to browse when you have free time to kill, like at work  ;D 

Someone on here was making round enclosures, i think they were in a post in the for sale section. 

made from pipe and endcaps @ home depot:

custom wood enclosure by John Lyons (board member) he makes great stuff (the white line on the corner is a photo anomaly):

Civil defense geiger counter- the meter moves with the output signal:

phenolic electrical box also from home depot (screenprinted face plate)

repainted DOD box w/ custom knobs made from FIMO clay

home depot plastic electrical box w/ blank metal switchplate cover, screenprinted

empty popcorn tin i got for xmas
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

oldrocker

cathexis

juse

Quote from: runmikeyrun on January 25, 2008, 10:02:57 PM

made from pipe and endcaps @ home depot:

So did they look at you strange when you were checking out @ Home Depot with the pipebomb supplies?  ;D

"No, really officer... it's for a distortion pedal!!!"

juse

Quote from: cathexis on January 26, 2008, 06:50:48 AM

Green Ringer :)

So, would there happen to be "silicone" diodes in there?  :icon_biggrin:

At first I thought it was a Double D pedal.

squidsquad

Dual speed EA Trem using base from a halogen pole lamp.

joegagan

old mirro skillet fr. walmart circa 2001

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

joegagan

squidsquad, that is a cool looking pedal!
kudos!
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

squidsquad

Thanks Joe...but no skill here.  I can't paint/etch/letter.  Just found & drilled it.  Cool thing...it's cast aluminum...light as a feather.
I DO like the profile though...hehe!

joegagan

yeah totally. lots of great used items floating around that will make enclosures.
i love that sewing machine wah, too!

go oldrocker

deadastronaut

yeah love the sewing machine pedal..brilliant..gonna look out for one of them...

love the space ship too.. :icon_twisted:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

DougH

Inside pic of my Pentode Driver, made with 2 RACO boxes. Sorry, no outside pic.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

DougH

Astrotone made out of PVC drain cap:

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

madstringbean

Here's a Little Gem amp I built into a fabric-covered jewelry box I found at a thrift store.  I covered the pots with wooden cabinet knobs.  I buy a lot of these knobs and paint or stain them as needed.

A lot of people like to make their stuff look futuristic, but I like to make mine look like something you'd find in your grandmother's house :)

mills

I really like that.  The "grandmother's house" aesthetic is great.  The wood knobs kinda look like they came off an old dresser.

murrayatuptown

I feel so uncreative.

I will look for better junk to save for alternative uses, technology recycling, but I will have to do something with all the krap currently hoarded.

I have a boatload of weird cannisters I saved when I was into building pinhole cameras & never used a single one.

Thanks for the ideas...I think I even have a lamp base I thought would be good for something.

Murray
Murray

studiostud

Quote from: cathexis on January 26, 2008, 06:50:48 AM

Green Ringer :)

heh.  when I saw this, my very first thought was definitely, "haha that looks like a boob."  I guess no matter what our age, we're allowed to be childish every once in a while...
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

sean k

Maybe funky... kinda dunky... certainly plunky!

Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/