Show me your 1590A enclosures/pedals...

Started by andrew_k, January 29, 2008, 09:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flo

Quote from: Valoosj on October 29, 2008, 04:19:44 PM
... but I'd hate it if it bleeds through when the pedal is in bypass.
If you use true bypass and a daisy chained power supply and then get ticking bleed through in the other FXs when bypassed:
Decouple the power supply of the FX from the rest of the power supply daisy chain by putting a 100 ohm resistor in series with the 9V rail inside your FX with a 0.1uF cap to ground.

earthtonesaudio

I'd take some suggestions from here and try to fix the ticking this way:
First try it with a battery.  (make a little battery-to-DC jack adapter)  If there's no ticking, try the filtering suggestions.  If the ticking remains even when battery powered, you don't need to add filtering to the power supply, but something else.
I'd try grounding the output when bypassed.  That might work...
If all else fails, sacrifice the LED indicator and use that third pole to stop the oscillator when in bypass.  You don't really need the LED for that effect, right?   8)

I've tried all but the last suggestion. I have two boards and switch between the two with an a/b, so the LED is invaluable for me. I don't mind the little on/off switch I fitted, but I'll experiment when I make the next one.

EDIT:

When building a pedal, I always use a battery to test until I know everything functions properly. The ticking was there then, and it didn't get any worse/better when I went to the power supply.

Valoosj

In stead of sacrifing the LED, why not use the lugs to hook up a DPDT relais to it, which decouples the lfo and takes care of the LED?
Or is this crazy talk?
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

I think that's what I've done, except I've used a micro toggle switch. I've got an old SPDT footswitch that could be used for this, but, if you used a DPDT, you could use the other lugs for an LED to indicate whether the power is being fed to the 555.

It's a lot of messing though isn't it !!

solderman

Hi
About LFO ticking/motorboating.

I have successfully managed to bring down or mute the ticking/motorboating from LFO:s on different circuts. I have done this by putting a E-lyt cap over most often lug 2 that uses the LFO and the lug that the LFO rate comes from, Tot the one that goes to GND or some other place. Start with 1-2.2 uF
C4 is such a Cap

//Solderman 
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

earthtonesaudio

How about this: use the LED as the series protection diode in the (+) power line.  Break that connection and you get LED and power to turn off  simultaneously.  Hopefully it won't cause too big of thumps, but you can check for that using the power switch  you already have installed.

DWBH

I have an 1590A box somewhere. It used to be a tap tempo box, but I don't need it anymore, so I'll try to put a Trotsky inside.
I'll be using 1 DPDT, DC power jack and a stereo jack for both input and output (Y cable -> 2 mono cables).
I have a phobia for small enclosures, though  :icon_confused:

Bucky Weaver

I am a new member here. Here is my contribution to this thread:

EASYDRIVE Joe Davisson's circuit. Culturejam's layout. I etched the board myself. Board is less than 1" by 1".
This is one great overdrive. Mine gets a nice crunch.

EJW

This is my first post and first "from scratch" build.  After tackling two of the BYOC kits, I wanted to try doing one from scratch and this thread inspired me to put it in a mini-enclosure.  The simplicity of the Bazz Fuzz made it an ideal novice project, but you don't get to see the guts because they're ugly.  If I do a better job of organizing the ground wires, I'll post the guts of my next build.

Valoosj

Soon my 3 knob phaser will be finished. The board works, I just need the enclosure (a new one ::))

Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

earthtonesaudio

solderman

Quote from: Valoosj on January 08, 2009, 03:57:17 PM
Soon my 3 knob phaser will be finished. The board works, I just need the enclosure (a new one ::))

Hi Yorick
Really nice job. A tight fit. Really triggers me to finish my Rebote 1590A Delay2.5

//Solderman 
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

Valoosj

Andi

That's the insides of one of these:

Guts of a mini AB:

flo

I really like these small FXs, keep them coming please!

danielzink

Kearns892

Quote from: Mr. G. on October 01, 2008, 03:15:28 PM
Here's a little boost pedal I made.

I didn't prep the enclosure between the black paint and the clear coats, so the clear coat is all wrinkled, but in person it actually looks a lot like Marshall style tolex.  So, I decided to leave it like it is.

That looks sweet, do you mind posting some more pics and maybe go into more detail of how you got that finish?

mikemaddux

Completed Builds: A lot...

Fuzz Aldryn

Did already posted it in the picture thread but I thought this would be the right place to show off again (self-irony intended):D

guts: