MAGNUS MODULUS - PROJECT - Another PT2399 Echo Modulator/Chorus/Tremolo/Boost

Started by ForcedFire, November 29, 2008, 12:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForcedFire

frequencycentral

That layout looks like it saves a little on space. And one thing I found with your layout which that one solves was that the electro caps C7, C8, C15 and C16 are a real tight squeeze! Not a problem, just a squeeze. This poject is taking it's time coming together for me, I've finished stuffing the board, I just need to order a few pots and work out how I'm going to box it. Other projects keep getting in the way!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

ForcedFire

I built mine with the multilayer ceramics and 16V electrolytics from Futurelec. If you use anything bigger it will definitely be a tight squeeze :icon_surprised: .

Post up some pics and/or sounds when you're done!

frequencycentral

I recently compared the Magnus and Echo Base schematics, one thing that jumps out is the electronic switching of the tails in the Echo base, which I'm guessing would prevent any popping. Has anyone experienced tails popping with the Magnus?
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Thomeeque

Quote from: frequencycentral on June 19, 2009, 04:48:21 PM
I recently compared the Magnus and Echo Base schematics, one thing that jumps out is the electronic switching of the tails in the Echo base, which I'm guessing would prevent any popping. Has anyone experienced tails popping with the Magnus?

Is still schemo from 1st page valid? If yes, then small pop on tails footswitch is IMO expectable, since it's one pole is pulled-down to gnd by R13 and second to PT2399's Vref (ca 2.5V) by R6..

EDIT: This could be easily fixed by reconecting second pole branch from R5+R6+C24 junction to C24+R21 junction, which is already pulled-down to gnd.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

svstee

Hey, does anyone have a set of voltages for this? I'm having a bit of trouble getting mine to work properly.

appliancide

Quote from: svstee on July 16, 2009, 07:13:00 PM
Hey, does anyone have a set of voltages for this? I'm having a bit of trouble getting mine to work properly.

I posted mine in this thread: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=77940.0

Not sure if they are typical...my VB is 4v instead of 4.5, but it works. I had a couple of small shorts when I took those measurements, but I doubt the voltages have changed much.

svstee

Well my problem just became blindingly obvious... no LFO.  :icon_redface:
If the LFO isn't working at all where should I be looking?

appliancide

The lfo is the second opamp, so maybe it's something around there?

Has anyone tried Thomeeque's suggestion for getting rid of the tails switch pop?

advascom

Hi, my build is a bit odd, the lfo won't work unless i touch both leads of r32 which is 470k, I don't know what went wrong, but last night I put a socket in the place of r32 and tried some resistor in there and I found that the lfo worked with resistor with a value of 10k - 180k. I ended up putting 47k in there, is there any voltage reading for this project?

Another thing, I don't know how the effect supposed to work, the delay won't work unless i switch the delay tails switch on, is it supposed to work like that?

Thank you very much for this great project... 4 thumbs up, when it works it is my favorite delay :D

iologic

Hi there and congratulations for that great effects (bravo mr Forced Fire).
I've built one with my father and that pedal is so nice ! so many things to do with !  awesome...
excuse my english because i'm french...

Well, I want to build that fx again and to add something that can be very usefull for me (and perhaps for this community).
The thing is that i haven't the electronic skill you guys probably have, i've just made these last weeks some simple pedals (bronx cheer, tycobrahe octavia, mxr microamp, minimixer...) but i'm sure you can help to customize my forthcoming new magnus modulus.

>> Is it possible to modify the "delay level" of the MM ? I would prefer to change it in a "mix dry/wet" knob... :icon_biggrin:  actually, as the moogerfoogers analog delay....
As i said before i'm not able to study that thing cause i'm a newbie but if someone here is ok to give me a hand, i would appreciate very very much...

thank you for your attention

iologic

dr.benway

Doing the vero build of the magnus modulus and have one question if anyone can answer :
in the upper left corner of the vero there is something that looks like a cap marked N/A. What does that mean and what component is to be placed there ?
Sorry if the question was answered elsewhere in the thread, i looked for quite a bit but came up empty.

Thanks

dr.benway

Hi, another slow learner here with dumb questions..also, I'm using cathexis' vero layout .

Could anyone explain how the leds other than the "effect on" led get wired ?
also I can't figure out the switch wiring for tremolo, delay, and modulation...tried working off fire force's schematic but I'm not too good at reading those...i think i understand the leds work with the switches but i can't get beyond that.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

dr.benway

Ok. I've got the power on led  and the modulation/tremolo /depth leds wired and working.
could somebody please tell me if the third led goes with the tails footswitch and if so where does the led get connected to the board on the vero layout ?

Thanks again.

dr.benway

Too impatient I guess. Worked everything out.
Awesome pedal Forced Fire !!!!

jred789

After watching the test videos for this project on youtube, I can't wait to build it.
I know that people probably build their own effects for various reasons, but one reason I am interested is because ideally DIY will be a little less expensive then a purchased effects pedal.  I was just wondering if anyone who has built this project or is in the process of doing so could give an approximate total cost to build, so I know what I am getting into.

Thank you for creating this awesome project ForcedFire.

dr.benway

All depends what you have already (wire, soldering iron, drill press or drill and bits) and what you're after for the final result in terms of esthetics and durabilty I think.
From what I remember the most expensive parts were the PT2399 (2.44 euros) and the alpha pots (1.14 euros approx and so much better than the black plastic ones).
I scrounged the caps out of various electronic junk, bought the resistors and the wire (probably enough to build another ten effects).
For the rest do you want an aluminum enclosure, painted eventually ? Otherwise you could just dig up a metal box, tin somewhere.
An example of the homemade approach : http://www.6079smith.com/fx.htm

Hope this helps you decide to give it a go.
In any event the Magnus Modulus is really worth it.