"Le Craquement Thermionique" !!

Started by frequencycentral, March 29, 2010, 01:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slade

Here's another thing I've just recorded with the pedal and my Flashback Delay Deluxe. I was looking for this kind of tone from a time now.. I'm so glad I built it!

I tried to play 'Mr. Oysterhead's solo (track 2 of The Grand Pecking Order album) ;D

Etchmaster fingers > Godin Exit 22 > Thermionique (at 9V) > Flashback Delay Deluxe > Yamaha F20 SS amp > Celestion Greenback 12" Speaker > SM57 > Presonus Audiobox > PC

:icon_mrgreen:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3565959/ThermoFlashback%20Tone.mp3

Cheers!

Govmnt_Lacky

Was revisiting this thread and found no answer to my question so I figured I would revive it!  ;D

Basically, the thread talks about putting 12V and 9V into the circuit however, I am wondering how it will handle >12VDC  ???

If I were to put over 12VDC (say 18V) would there be a problem?

I looked at datasheets for the 5840 tube however, I could not find any MAX voltage in values.

Anyone have an idea of the max headroom there is for this circuit?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

juansolo

165V on the anode plate, 6.3V for the heaters.

I've run them at about 35-40V with a charge pump from a 12V supply.

frequencycentral

Here's another of mine. This one was designed to run from 9 volts, and has a charge pump (the perf by the 3pdt) to supply just the tube with 18 volts, the MOSFET stage is running from 9 volts.

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: frequencycentral on March 16, 2011, 06:55:41 PM
Here's another of mine. This one was designed to run from 9 volts, and has a charge pump (the perf by the 3pdt) to supply just the tube with 18 volts, the MOSFET stage is running from 9 volts.

Looks fantastic as ever Rick!  ;)

Would you mind sharing how you implemented the charge pump circuit? A layout possibly?

Thanks  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

frequencycentral

The charge pump feeds the resistors at pins 5 and 7 of the 5840, instead of them being connected to the main +ve supply rail. TBH I've built that charge pump circuit so many times that I just perfed it up without a layout. Madbean's Road Rage PCB springs to mind if you wanna go that way. I've now designed a layout with the charge pump and the main circuit integrated onto the same PCB, but this is one of those rare occasions when I'm keeping it to myself, as I'm offering this pedal through my website.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: frequencycentral on March 17, 2011, 01:57:58 PM
I've now designed a layout with the charge pump and the main circuit integrated onto the same PCB, but this is one of those rare occasions when I'm keeping it to myself, as I'm offering this pedal through my website.

I completely understand this Rick. There is no justification needed because if it were not for you, there would be A LOT missing from this forum! You have contributed SO MUCH that there should be no need for explanations!

Thanks for the heads up on the charge pump idea. Off to the drawing board...  ;)

phector2004

Hey Rick,

What does it sound like with more voltage?

I think an on-off-on toggle or a rotary would be a cool addition to tack on diode-capacitor stages to the MAX1044. To bump the tube up from 9V --> 18V --> 36v, or something of the sort. Unless of course it gets the charge pump angry  :icon_eek:

Ben N

Quote from: Slade on September 20, 2010, 09:13:38 PM
Here's another thing I've just recorded with the pedal and my Flashback Delay Deluxe. I was looking for this kind of tone from a time now.. I'm so glad I built it!

I tried to play 'Mr. Oysterhead's solo (track 2 of The Grand Pecking Order album) ;D

Etchmaster fingers > Godin Exit 22 > Thermionique (at 9V) > Flashback Delay Deluxe > Yamaha F20 SS amp > Celestion Greenback 12" Speaker > SM57 > Presonus Audiobox > PC

:icon_mrgreen:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3565959/ThermoFlashback%20Tone.mp3

Cheers!
Wow, that sounds good! This is really a must-build.
  • SUPPORTER

Govmnt_Lacky

Any idea how much current this circuit is pulling?

I was wondering if a battery could be used  ???

OR.... would this circuit drain a battery quickly?

Slade

Only the heater works with 150mA, I think it's not a good choice to use batteries with this one.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Slade on March 21, 2011, 02:22:54 PM
Only the heater works with 150mA, I think it's not a good choice to use batteries with this one.

Thanks Slade.

I would only need the 9V battery in case of emergency or loss of power from a wall wart or PS.

Just wondering if it could handle the load even for only 5 to 10 minutes.

Govmnt_Lacky

Has anyone tried using transistors OTHER THAN the BS170 and 2N5457 that the design calls for?

Got this built up yesterday and I really liked it's flexability and sound but I would like to try to "smooth it out" just a bit and I was wondering if other combinations of transistors sounded different and/or better  ;D

frequencycentral

2N7000 is a replacement for the BS170 IIR (though the pinout is a mirror image). I guess most FETs would work in the 2n5457 position, I've got a Thermionic here with socketted trannies so I guess I should try some others.....

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: frequencycentral on March 23, 2011, 02:44:29 PM
2N7000 is a replacement for the BS170 IIR (though the pinout is a mirror image). I guess most FETs would work in the 2n5457 position, I've got a Thermionic here with socketted trannies so I guess I should try some others.....

Thanks Rick.  ;)

I fired this up last night and I do like the Pentode/Superheated mode (I used a DPDT switch instead of 2 SPDTs).

In the Triode/Hot mode it sounds more like a booster than an OD. I guess the OD is very subtle.

When in Pent/Superheated mode, the OD gets grainy and crackled at the top end of the pot. I would like to smooth it out.... hence the attempt at different transistors.

Spectacular design though!!  ;D

vendettav

thins thing looks freaking kickass!!!
gonna try and see if i can come up with any tubez
check my music HERE

Shredtastic psycho metal!

ACS

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 21, 2011, 02:30:21 PM
Quote from: Slade on March 21, 2011, 02:22:54 PM

Thanks Slade.

I would only need the 9V battery in case of emergency or loss of power from a wall wart or PS.

Just wondering if it could handle the load even for only 5 to 10 minutes.

Old question I know, but an alkaline 9V battery is around 550mAh, so you could expect 3ish hours of operation from a ne one at that current draw...

frequencycentral

My tame shred master Rich Russell did me some soundclips: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/967492/Thermionic%20Montage.mp3

hobo_hephew

Really liked the soundclips you guys posted of this one, so I tried to build the craquement without the tone control yesterday, using the schematic below, but it crackles and sputter like crazy. So, did I remove too much/ too little, or does it somehow need re-biasing when the tone control is removed?

junlais

Hello this is my Thermionic, wonderfull diy project, Thanks Rick.