Started by TimWaldvogel, April 05, 2010, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mth5044

amptramp

Quote from: thomasha on October 10, 2018, 05:10:31 AM
Hi!
just made a paint job on the original schematic...here you have it:

For a bigger image just copy the link and remove the last l before the dot

If you want to use a 12AX7 in the tremolo you can use the original tremolo section, with only 3 CR Stages.

As long as you have the filament centre tap available, I would connect it to some higher voltage like the cathode of the output tube.  This is often done to ensure any electron emission from the filament starts at a higher voltage so the grid will be much more negative and will shut it off.

rankot

Quote from: amptramp on March 07, 2019, 06:14:19 PM
As long as you have the filament centre tap available, I would connect it to some higher voltage like the cathode of the output tube.  This is often done to ensure any electron emission from the filament starts at a higher voltage so the grid will be much more negative and will shut it off.

If I use DC for heaters, is it better to connect heater's ground to output tube's cathode or not?
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

amptramp

Quote from: rankot on May 03, 2019, 11:49:22 AM
Quote from: amptramp on March 07, 2019, 06:14:19 PM

If I use DC for heaters, is it better to connect heater's ground to output tube's cathode or not?
[/quote

I would still connect the heaters to a higher voltage like the output tube cathodes because rectifying and filtering the AC heater supply would introduce higher harmonics of the power line frequency even though the fundamental would be gone.

rankot

If I got this right - for example, I have 9V DC available for heaters (as in normal pedal) and they need 6.3V. Which version is better (if any) - with heater ground slightly elevated to 2.7V with dropping resistors between heaters and ground, or heater ground at the same level as circuit ground, with dropping resistors between +9V and heaters?

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

Marcos - Munky

Just finished this one. AX84 P1 with "alternative" tubes. I've used a 6N2P for the preamp tube, and a 6EM5 for the output tube (not pin to pin equivalent to a EL84). Also, my first experience on winding both power and output transformers.

Ben N

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on June 26, 2019, 08:42:31 PM
Just finished this one. AX84 P1 with "alternative" tubes. I've used a 6N2P for the preamp tube, and a 6EM5 for the output tube (not pin to pin equivalent to a EL84). Also, my first experience on winding both power and output transformers.

Is that one of those tone-metal cake tins?
  • SUPPORTER

Marcos - Munky

Yeah, it's a tin to bake cake/bread.

Thomeeque

Hello,

I needed minimalistic setup for my home looping and it led to the need of building FX loop feature into my MicroCube (there was simply no other way around :D).

It was not that easy, as all from preamp to master volume happens inside the CPU, but I managed.

Short sample

More pics & schema

Happy :), T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Ben N

• SUPPORTER

Thomeeque

Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

vigilante397

Quote from: Thomeeque on September 20, 2019, 08:26:00 AM
there was simply no other way around :D

Are you sure...? ???

Looks great though, nice work 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

deadastronaut

tomaz thats brilliant, i have a micro cube too, and a looper,

its always been a pain that the effects come after, so i can see why you did this....excellent work man.

(i was forced to use mine on clean channel with external effects and looper....)

so this is a nice minimal setup...very cool.  8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Thomeeque

Thanks, guys! :)

Quote from: vigilante397 on September 23, 2019, 11:26:19 AM
Quote from: Thomeeque on September 20, 2019, 08:26:00 AM
there was simply no other way around :D

Are you sure...? ???

Well, depends. I really like preamps and effects built-in inside MC, it's just a perfect set for (my) home playing needs, and to be able to use them in combination with looper IMHO there is no other way. You can use it the way Rob describes, but then you loose most of what MC offers and setup is also more complicated.

Quote from: deadastronaut on September 25, 2019, 03:14:31 AM
tomaz thats brilliant, i have a micro cube too, and a looper, ..

Then you should do it also! :icon_twisted: I can provide some more info, if needed, feel free to ask.

Cheers, T.

deadastronaut

hi T.

yes please, i'll have a go at it...

ive done a few mods to it already, added an on/off switch on top...as the one on the back was annoying.. :icon_rolleyes:

added a speaker on/off regardless of phones in...for recording out... 8)

and added fancy colour changing neo pixel leds around the face of it too.... ;D

so may as well go the full monty on it... :icon_mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Thomeeque

Thomeeque

Marcos - Munky

This is a EF184 tube preamp + a TDA8932 class D amp board.

I used a laptop power supply (19V) to power the whole thing. The TDA board is powered by the laptop power supply. Then I used a dc-dc step down converter to lower it to 6V to power both the heater and a 555 smps for the high voltage (which I forgot if it was 150V or 250V, probably 150).

rankot

Great, Marcos! I'm just in the process of deciding how to power my new mic pre, and I thought I could do SMPS, too! I've got some Chinese DC-DC converters for cheap, so I will experiment with them. My idea is to go 12V (for heaters) and then boost that to 220-250V for B+. What's your experience with this - is it noisy or not?
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!