pix of Custom built guitar amps/cabs

Started by TimWaldvogel, April 05, 2010, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadastronaut

hello squirrel :icon_mrgreen:.....nice builds guys. 8)

typing in my ''living room'' uk... :icon_mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bluebunny

Quote from: Ben N on July 22, 2021, 05:16:32 AM
(salon, for you non-Americans)

"Salon" is where I get my hair done.

If I had any...   ::)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Ben N

An adaptation I had to make when I moved to Israel. I just assumed it must be universal outside the US, like "aluminium".
  • SUPPORTER

kaycee

Noisy Cricket amp in a replica of a Roberts Transistor Radio casing made from MDF. This is my bench and practice amp. I've just stripped it and replaced the pots and given it a new coat of paint and copper control plate.

I had bought an old Roberts Radio with the intention of putting a Murder 1 sub mini valve amp in it, but didn't really like the amp that much. The radio was tatty, so I had intended to recover it, but it fell apart as I stripped it, so I copied the dimensions in MDF. Then made a Cricket to go in it, this was well over a decade ago.

stallik

It's December. The 6l6GC in my 4 watt blue plated again. That's confirmation of a 12 month lifespan. (3 years on the trot)
Interestingly, my normally pop free pedals started popping for a couple of days prior to the failure. New tube, they're all quiet again
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

amptramp

Quote from: stallik on November 11, 2021, 05:32:00 AM
It's December. The 6l6GC in my 4 watt blue plated again. That's confirmation of a 12 month lifespan. (3 years on the trot)
Interestingly, my normally pop free pedals started popping for a couple of days prior to the failure. New tube, they're all quiet again

The sun is in Scorpio.  The moon is in Aquarius.  Mercury is in Scorpio.  Venus is in Capricorn.  Mars is in Scorpio.  Jupiter is in Aquarius.  Saturn is in Aquariius.  Uranus is in Taurus.  Neptune is in Pisces.  Pluto is in  Capricorn.  What did you think was going to happen?

Jarno

Didn't realise there is a thread for this, I'll play :)

One is a 1x12 guitar cabinet out of pine
One is a 1x8 bass cabinet out of oak

Both are dovetailed, 12" cab has corner miters on the front.

tubelectron

I also have amp build projects... But it lags, lags, lags...  >:( >:( >:(

With some others, this one is still sleeping :

In the small department, my Radio-Tone has a new advertising career for py part time amp repair job as a business card display :

In the big department, my Serial Tone Killer is now finished and operational... Not less than five years later its inception :

Lagging, did you say ?  ??? ;)

A+!

I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

ElectricDruid

Quote from: tubelectron on February 24, 2022, 08:15:11 AM

I love the Foot Witch, and the aux 9VDC outputs. Very handy. Also the Holy-Grail-as-reverb-tank is a nice touch!

Fantastic work. The amount of wiring in there would drive me totally loopy.

tubelectron

Thanks @electricDruid !  :)

Yes, "Foot Witch" is an unintentional mistake : it's an unseen typing error... But OK : the signification is funny instead of serious:icon_lol:

The inconvenient of the Serial Tone Killer is his weight : circa 32kg in carrying order, that is to say with cables, FSW, cover.

At the start, I designed it with a toroidal power transformer, but had to return to the classic EI transformer which proves to be much more silent without much less hum and buzz radiations than the toroidal models that I tested, even encapsulated and shielded.

The "wings"  added around the power transformer are magnetic shields to kill remaining 50Hz radiation along the main magnetic direction.

The original idea was to save weight by using a toroidal PT and a Neodymium loudspeaker. This ended to be an EI transformer (5.5kg) and an EVM12L from 1980 (9kg)...

A+!

ThermionicScott

Quote from: stallik on November 11, 2021, 05:32:00 AMIt's December. The 6l6GC in my 4 watt blue plated again. That's confirmation of a 12 month lifespan. (3 years on the trot)

Bummer!  What voltages are you getting, all around?  I'm curious if a bad coupling cap or grid-leak resistor is to blame.

The WF-55 circult looks like it should be really easy on tubes.
"...the IMD products will multiply like bacteria..." -- teemuk

bluebunny

Quote from: ElectricDruid on February 24, 2022, 09:11:01 AM
I love the Foot Witch . . .

I think it could be intentional, Tom, because it doesn't matter witch (sic) foot you want to use.   ;D

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

stallik

Quote from: ThermionicScott on February 24, 2022, 01:21:24 PM
Quote from: stallik on November 11, 2021, 05:32:00 AMIt's December. The 6l6GC in my 4 watt blue plated again. That's confirmation of a 12 month lifespan. (3 years on the trot)

Bummer!  What voltages are you getting, all around?  I'm curious if a bad coupling cap or grid-leak resistor is to blame.

The WF-55 circult looks like it should be really easy on tubes.

Hi Scott, I'm pretty sure that it's all down to the value of the power valve cathode resistor. I'm using a 6L6 and when I built the amp, I could really hear the difference at the 'just breaking up' point when lowering the resistor (R9) value from 470R to 270R
Cathode and plate current were a bit high but plate dissipation sensible so I've left it like that. When the valve died at the end of last year confirming the 1 year life expectancy, I re-auditioned the cathode resistor value and realised my ears can no longer detect the differences I was hearing originally (don't get old!). So, I've raised the value (360R was all I had in 2W) and I'm expecting the valve to last a bit longer this time.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Ben N

Quote from: ElectricDruid on February 24, 2022, 09:11:01 AMI love the Foot Witch, and the aux 9VDC outputs. Very handy. Also the Holy-Grail-as-reverb-tank is a nice touch!

Does it float?
  • SUPPORTER

tubelectron

Quote from: Ben N on February 26, 2022, 02:28:19 PM
Quote from: ElectricDruid on February 24, 2022, 09:11:01 AMI love the Foot Witch, and the aux 9VDC outputs. Very handy. Also the Holy-Grail-as-reverb-tank is a nice touch!

Does it float?

A ton avis ?

ThermionicScott

Quote from: stallik on February 25, 2022, 09:30:35 AMHi Scott, I'm pretty sure that it's all down to the value of the power valve cathode resistor. I'm using a 6L6 and when I built the amp, I could really hear the difference at the 'just breaking up' point when lowering the resistor (R9) value from 470R to 270R
Cathode and plate current were a bit high but plate dissipation sensible so I've left it like that. When the valve died at the end of last year confirming the 1 year life expectancy, I re-auditioned the cathode resistor value and realised my ears can no longer detect the differences I was hearing originally (don't get old!). So, I've raised the value (360R was all I had in 2W) and I'm expecting the valve to last a bit longer this time.

Ah, okay.  Next time you're in there, measure the 6L6 grid voltage for me.  I'm curious... ;)
"...the IMD products will multiply like bacteria..." -- teemuk

vigilante397

Does it float?

Well I mean, if it weighs the same as a duck, then clearly it's made of wood.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Ben N

Quote from: vigilante397 on February 28, 2022, 02:34:08 PM
Does it float?

Well I mean, if it weighs the same as a duck, then clearly it's made of wood.
So quoteth Sir Bedevere the Wise.
  • SUPPORTER

thomasha

Small 1W orange style amplifier with 12au7 in PP in a 1590N1 box:

Cheers

rankot

Quote from: thomasha on April 30, 2022, 01:24:35 PM
Small 1W orange style amplifier with 12au7 in PP in a 1590N1 box:

What kind of OT did you use? I was thinking of making similar amp, but wasn't sure where to get an OT. :(
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!