News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Etched enclosures

Started by Johnny Lemonhead, July 15, 2010, 10:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustard

Heya, I am basically doing etching exclusively, I got polishing technique nailed but I can't always remove all the scratch marks from sandpaper. Any suggestions?

Lately local people started asking for prices, I am not sure if my pedals look "professional" enough for sale yet  :icon_confused:

Anyways, my few builds:

This booster is a bit unfortunate one, decided to put the toggle switch after the wiring was done, so I drilled from the inside, totally forgetting that my logo would be in the place haha, I like it tho, looks kinda funky.

Inside:

Moving on to a special one, overdrive with a bunch of user-programmable presets like ones you find in multiefect pedals (side note, don't ask me for schematic, it was a year of development time with a friend of mine so I don't own full rights for it, hope you understand):

Some fuzz face with switchable transistors:

2in1 type of deal:

Regards, Mustard

vigilante397

Really excellent looking etches, especially like the memory drive. You could try a buffer with some buffing compound to get the sandpaper marks off for a nice polished finish.

Quote from: Mustard on April 20, 2016, 07:10:45 AM
Lately local people started asking for prices, I am not sure if my pedals look "professional" enough for sale yet  :icon_confused:

Your builds look WAAAAYYYY more professional than mine did when I started selling :P
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Mustard

Quote from: vigilante397 on April 20, 2016, 11:44:34 AM
Really excellent looking etches, especially like the memory drive. You could try a buffer with some buffing compound to get the sandpaper marks off for a nice polished finish.

Quote from: Mustard on April 20, 2016, 07:10:45 AM

Your builds look WAAAAYYYY more professional than mine did when I started selling :P

Thanks! Yeah I tried several buffing pads and compounds, I mean it is not as noticeable in person as it is on pictures due to flash, but still... I am a bit nitpicky

Mustard

Huh, this thread is quite slow, was hoping for more suggestions on my finishing technique.

Cozybuilder

Maybe your etching skills are so far ahead of most of the rest of us that we don't have anything constructive to offer?
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

Mustard

Quote from: Cozybuilder on April 21, 2016, 09:10:20 AM
Maybe your etching skills are so far ahead of most of the rest of us that we don't have anything constructive to offer?
Haha, by seeing some builds here I highly doubt this is the case  :icon_biggrin:

feddozz

One of my previous hobbies was building boomerangs. Profiles are done with sand paper and then for certain models it is advisable to get a smooth finish to minimise friction losses and get more range from your boom.

So I used in order:

• sandpaper of progressively finer grade, have you considered wet and dry?
  • then scotchbrite cloth, this can be not necessary depending on the last grade sandpaper you used
  • Toothpaste, it is a very mild but effective abrasive, it gives you a mirror finish, gel is milder, so smoother finish, than paste. You can apply it by hand, you will get results in a few minutes. But maybe the use of mechanical means gets you there fast.[/]
All the above works on plastic. I do not know about metal. It is always worth trying. Do it on one of your lids perhaps. Prior to the toothpaste you need to get a good finish or you will still see the signs of the previous pass. Good luck.
And "dog balls on your face"...

Cozybuilder

duck_arse

Quote from: Cozybuilder on April 21, 2016, 10:09:14 AM
Like these?

you'd be amazed at the number of kangaroos have been killed by these bloody things .......

also, extra cut auto polish will do some very fine cutting/polishing, perhaps as a last step.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

feddozz

Cozybuilder

More OT: I still think one of the funniest scenes in the original Road Warrior was the feral boy throwing his boomerang and one of the attackers tried to catch it- losing a bunch of fingers for his efforts.

Mustard

Thanks for the tips guys! I doubt auto-polish works on bare metal hmmm? I mean, its designed to polish already painted surface (aka cars  :icon_lol:), its still worth a shot tho. I think what is causing my "troubles" is sanding by machine not by hand, will try to patiently hand-sand it with A LOT of different grits, so far my biggest jump is from 400 grt to 1000, gonna add a few inbetween and up to 2000, that should to the trick, hopefully!

davent

Mother's Aluminum Mag polish works great on bare copper, might do something for aluminum.

https://store.mothers.com/shop/product-line/mothers-classic/mag-aluminum-polish-2/
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

duck_arse

are you wet sanding on glass?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

greaser_au

Quote from: Cozybuilder on April 21, 2016, 10:47:17 AM
More OT: I still think one of the funniest scenes in the original Road Warrior was the feral boy throwing his boomerang and one of the attackers tried to catch it- losing a bunch of fingers for his efforts.

What???!!! Road Warrior??!!!!   MAD MAX, *please*...

:)

david

Phoenix

Quote from: greaser_au on April 22, 2016, 11:23:30 AM
What???!!! Road Warrior??!!!!   MAD MAX, *please*...

:)

david
Mad Max (1979) is a truly classic piece of Australiana, easily my favourite of the series for that reason. When Fury Road was coming, I was really hoping that it would feature a bit more of that than The Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome. I wasn't disappointed. It certainly wasn't as Australiana as the original, but it was catering to a much broader audience (never go full 'Straya).

The original was re-dubbed for US audiences (they couldn't understand Mel's 'Stralyan drawl apparently, though his American accent was still quite noticeable for Australian audiences), and when it was first released on DVD, it was only available in the US dub for a few years, which was quite off-putting for me and others who watched it with me. I was really glad when the original Australian edition became available on digital media.

The Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome are really pretty bad, but they do have their moments. I always find it amusing how much more Americans think of The Road Warrior as being the definitive film, but I guess us Aussies have a very different appreciation of the series.

feddozz

Ben Lyman

Mad Max and Road Warrior go hand in hand for me, they are a set, my favorite movies of all time. Beyond Thunderdome is not worth mentioning and Fury Road was just aaiight.
Also, I use toothpaste to polish my steel camping mirror when it gets dull
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

thermionix

The first two films are so different I can hardly group them together.  Thunderdome was just awful, haven't seen Fury Road.  Funny I read somewhere that Mad Max spun out of public service anti-speeding/road safety films.

JonnyAngle

Hey guys.  I don't really hang out here, but I did create a facebook group for us.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1706759216202535/

I like to burn the whole enclosure and just leave a little of the virgin Aluminum.
Check out my instagram or website, I guess.  I can't find how to attach images at the moment

www.droppingacidpedaletching.com

https://www.instagram.com/droppingacidpedaletching/