SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Etched enclosures

Started by Johnny Lemonhead, July 15, 2010, 10:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

italianguy63

Quote from: duck_arse on December 31, 2016, 08:43:20 AM
nice to see you back, mark.

Thank you Duckster!  Glad to still be here!   8)
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

italianguy63

Quote from: asreis85 on December 31, 2016, 01:03:15 PM
After 3 failed attempts, I was finally able to make my first etched enclosure.

I first try with NaOH but wasn't getting any good results. Either the etching was too much or not enough. So I decided to try ferric chloride and it was much easier. I'm still learning how to etch properly, and I know I should probably give this one a good shine, but I really like the "dirty" look of it. Afterall, it's a fuzz! And no, no knobs at least until I find one that goes well with the pedal.

The pedal itself is a Fuzz Factory clone, the Zombii Fuzz from MadBeans, with 2 AC128s. Any tips you guys might have would be appreciated.

I use a 1-1-1 mix of 40% Peroxide (from the beauty supply store), Hydrochloric acid (from the pool supply store, Muriatic acid), and distilled water.  2 to 2.5 minutes is the trick.. Over processing makes the pits and the shadows.  I go 30 seconds at a time, rinsing in a water bath, and softly scrubbing the etch areas with a toothbrush.  i.e. 4 to 5 "dips" in the acid.  If you still have shadows, be better about your masking areas.  I cover as much of the dead space with blue masking tape, and draw around the etching with a paint pencil.  Clean it all up at the end with lacquer thinner.  And finally a quick scrub off with a Scotchbrite pad or steel wool.  Hope that helps!   ;D  Practice makes perfect.
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

asreis85

Quote from: italianguy63 on December 31, 2016, 01:40:47 PM

I use a 1-1-1 mix of 40% Peroxide (from the beauty supply store), Hydrochloric acid (from the pool supply store, Muriatic acid), and distilled water.  2 to 2.5 minutes is the trick.. Over processing makes the pits and the shadows.  I go 30 seconds at a time, rinsing in a water bath, and softly scrubbing the etch areas with a toothbrush.  i.e. 4 to 5 "dips" in the acid.  If you still have shadows, be better about your masking areas.  I cover as much of the dead space with blue masking tape, and draw around the etching with a paint pencil.  Clean it all up at the end with lacquer thinner.  And finally a quick scrub off with a Scotchbrite pad or steel wool.  Hope that helps!   ;D  Practice makes perfect.

Thanks a lot! Etching is addictive, and I already have some more projects in mind. I'll make sure to try your formula. Do you dip the pedal in it or pour with a pipette or something?

italianguy63

I use 2 pyrex dishes.. one with the acid, and one with the clean water... just dip the face into each..  I use about 150ml of solvent in the acid bath (50ml of each component)--

MC

hylandren

I use a 1-1-1 mix of 40% Peroxide (from the beauty supply store), Hydrochloric acid (from the pool supply store, Muriatic acid), and distilled water.
Remembering the old adage " Acid to water, just like you Otter", I assume you add the acid to the water, and NOT the other way around, which can sometimes become "unstable"...
(Unless the peroxide somehow acts to stabilize the mixture....)

stringsthings

That's a good tip for getting 40% Peroxide from a beauty supply store.  I've been using H202 from the drug store. I think it's 3%.

davent

Quote from: stringsthings on January 05, 2017, 06:03:53 PM

That's a good tip for getting 40% Peroxide from a beauty supply store.  I've been using H202 from the drug store. I think it's 3%.

Our neighbourhood drug store has the stronger peroxides in the hair colouring section of the store.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

italianguy63

Quote from: hylandren on January 03, 2017, 12:43:44 PM

I use a 1-1-1 mix of 40% Peroxide (from the beauty supply store), Hydrochloric acid (from the pool supply store, Muriatic acid), and distilled water.
Remembering the old adage " Acid to water, just like you Otter", I assume you add the acid to the water, and NOT the other way around, which can sometimes become "unstable"...
(Unless the peroxide somehow acts to stabilize the mixture....)

Yes.  Water, then add acid, then add peroxide. (good point)

DK1

Enclosure for an engineers thumb. Used pieces of the schem and another compressor schem for the background. Lye etch. Totally botched some of the jack drilling, but it looks ok from the top. ;-)

pgorey

Oh man, so many good executions here!  Nice work everyone.  Very inspiring.  Edit:  fix typos.  DK1, That etch is very slick - I cant decide if I like the pre-painted version more or not.

deadastronaut

DK1  love it...very cool. 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

GiovannyS10

Rob said all. :o Man... Applause please...
That's all, Folks!

"Are you on drugs?"
-ARSE, Duck.

www.instagram.com/allecto

Benoi31

Beautiful one DK1!
Very clever idea to use a "PCB green" or "chalkboard green" color!

ElectricDruid

Quote from: Benoi31 on January 21, 2017, 11:18:02 AM
Beautiful one DK1!
Very clever idea to use a "PCB green" or "chalkboard green" color!

Seconded. Beautiful work. I like the "negative space" effect - looking through the panel at the circuit beyond.

Tom

askwho69

"To live is to die"

Pettol

flanagan0718

1776 reverb in a 1590A Etched the "D" then used pink sparkle rattle can spray paint.

Voodoo Vibe clones

Hey guys I'm Mike

My Blog
http://custohmelectronics.blogspot.com/

lars-musik

I made a Lovetone Big Cheese and think that this might even be the best etch I've ever produced.

deadastronaut

lovely, strawberry and cream...nice  8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

DK1

My latest. The tremolololololo. A Tremulus Lune. My first try at an acid etch instead of lye. Needs refinement.

The right eye blinks for extra derp. :-D