What else would you like to see PCB projects for?

Started by Taylor, September 05, 2010, 08:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

I've had a lot of fun doing the PCB projects for this forum. I know that I really enjoy building on manufactured PCBs with all the "pro" goodies, and from the emails I get I can tell that a lot of people feel the same way. I never thought it would make much difference, but since I've started working on these, my etching rig has been sitting lonely and unused for quite some time.  :icon_wink:

Anyway, I was just curious what else you guys would like to see a PCB for. I do have some things cooking up, but other suggestions are greatly welcomed. I am still working on the tap tempo stereo delay, and I also have a clean analog octave down board (based on the Oc-2) that is near completion.

What else would you like to see?

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Scruffie

If we get it verified the TZF Electric Mistress (Or another Flanger... there's a schematic for a MN3007 MXR M117 By Fender3D which would make a great TZF Flanger I bet) All on one PCB Would be great to see.

A Stacked Chip Analog Delay of Some Description (Like a Memory Man but for V3205 or Those 8Pin BL3208s)

A Good Chorus Project would be nice too, not sure what kind though.

A/DA Final Phase? We had the Flanger...

A High Gain Distortion like the DieFet or Dr.Boogey with on board MAX1044 Doubler.

An Acoustic Simulator Project like Mark Hammers Woody or the AC-2

That's my input, in order of preference.

Taylor

Great suggestions.

Quote from: Scruffie on September 05, 2010, 08:48:05 PM
A High Gain Distortion like the DieFet or Dr.Boogey with on board MAX1044 Doubler.

Is there a thread discussing using a charge pump with the Boogey? I don't know much about that circuit, searched but couldn't find any info mentioning charge pumps. Is the idea just to boost 9v to 18v to get more headroom?

Scruffie

Quote from: Taylor on September 05, 2010, 09:20:02 PM
Great suggestions.

Quote from: Scruffie on September 05, 2010, 08:48:05 PM

Is there a thread discussing using a charge pump with the Boogey? I don't know much about that circuit, searched but couldn't find any info mentioning charge pumps. Is the idea just to boost 9v to 18v to get more headroom?
Yeah Pretty much, I recall seeing it in a thread and someone saying it just made it a bit quieter, added some headroom and made it a bit easier to bias which seems like a good reason to do it.

jkokura

A long analog delay using the cool audio BBD Chips would be cool, especially if it could be tap tempo controlled all on one PCB. I'd love to see a Reverb project as well, something a little more DIY than the BYOC unit. There are some good CE-2 and Small clone projects out there on PCB, so I'm not sure what Chorus would be a good alternative to those.

I thought about the acoustic simulator you mentioned scruffie, but for the price you can buy an AC-2 at I don't think a build is worth it really. I have and AC-2 and I'm having trouble selling it for 40 plus shipping.

Jacob

Scruffie

Quote from: jkokura on September 05, 2010, 09:28:39 PM
A long analog delay using the cool audio BBD Chips would be cool, especially if it could be tap tempo controlled all on one PCB. I'd love to see a Reverb project as well, something a little more DIY than the BYOC unit. There are some good CE-2 and Small clone projects out there on PCB, so I'm not sure what Chorus would be a good alternative to those.
There's the DC-2 Chorus... bit of an undertaking though (and was done once before I think on another forum) Clone Theory although i'm not sure how good that actually is in comparisson to a small clone... most people probably go for the Small Clone or CE-2 though anyway so maybe not.
I thought about the acoustic simulator you mentioned scruffie, but for the price you can buy an AC-2 at I don't think a build is worth it really. I have and AC-2 and I'm having trouble selling it for 40 plus shipping.
Ah... that's fair enough then, the Woody does already have a PCB layout about too, I suppose though it's more having a professional PCB with on board pots and the like that make the build easier that's the attraction.

I'm gunna hit hard for the MXR M117 TZF though, that'd be my dream project to get a PCB for and second to that or the Long Analog Delay (although there is already the BYOC Analog delay but... I think it could be improved on)

MmmPedals

If you're thinking chorus the zombie would be great. Needs to be laid out very carefully to avoid ticking. could incorporate a Leslie mod. and i am sure we can come up with some others. ;D

Taylor

Quote from: therecordingart on September 05, 2010, 10:40:57 PM
The Randall RG100ES.

Ambitious, I like it. An amp would be an interesting change of pace. But probably not enough interest to make it cost-effective, sadly.

markeebee

How about the Frequency Central Little Angel chorus, with all the (jumberable?) mods?

I'm sure Rick wouldn't mind, and it would be a real forum team effort.

Scruffie

Quote from: Taylor on September 05, 2010, 10:52:34 PM
Ambitious, I like it.
Ambitious? I could do with an A/DA STD-1 PCB if you wanna go for ambitious  :icon_mrgreen: sadly, probably alot less interest in that one.

QuoteThe Randall RG100ES.
I don't know if it's of interest to you but while i'm here... there was a PCB for a Mesa Rectifier Amp but converted to J-Fets like the Randall around somewhere, I have the files saved but the thread should still exist... both the same kinda High gain area.

therecordingart

Quote from: Scruffie on September 05, 2010, 11:06:49 PM
Quote from: Taylor on September 05, 2010, 10:52:34 PM
Ambitious, I like it.
Ambitious? I could do with an A/DA STD-1 PCB if you wanna go for ambitious  :icon_mrgreen: sadly, probably alot less interest in that one.

QuoteThe Randall RG100ES.
I don't know if it's of interest to you but while i'm here... there was a PCB for a Mesa Rectifier Amp but converted to J-Fets like the Randall around somewhere, I have the files saved but the thread should still exist... both the same kinda High gain area.

If you can find those files I'd be in debt to you sir!

Taylor

Quote from: markeebee on September 05, 2010, 10:57:28 PM
How about the Frequency Central Little Angel chorus, with all the (jumberable?) mods?

I'm sure Rick wouldn't mind, and it would be a real forum team effort.

I have been thinking about that. I haven't built it yet but it's a great idea and I think a tiny chorus could be extremely useful.

Quote from: Scruffie on September 05, 2010, 11:06:49 PM

I like doing crazier and more complex stuff for sure. It's just a matter of finding something that enough people want to build that the boards are affordable. I'm not familiar with that unit, but it seems like maybe ~arph's delay project may do some of that stuff. He has mentioned that he may do PCBs for it.

Scruffie

QuoteI like doing crazier and more complex stuff for sure. It's just a matter of finding something that enough people want to build that the boards are affordable. I'm not familiar with that unit, but it seems like maybe ~arph's delay project may do some of that stuff. He has mentioned that he may do PCBs for it.
It would require an MN3011 chip, which most people aren't going to be able to get hold of, it was just a big old rackmount Chorus/Flanger/Doubler from the 80s but few were made so there quite rare and sought after now.

Another thing I thought would be nice would be the Tri-Vibe if the ROG guys don't mind... maybe with the Little Angel on the same PCB or something so it was Vibe, Chorus, Leslie, Phaser, Doubler all in one, it would make a nice Analog Multi FX unit.

Philippe

How about a multi-channel DIY UHF wireless guitar system?

A basic Shure model goes for around $400...considering that some exotic boutique fxs pedals can approach that price, maybe you could design one for around $200-250 in parts? ;)

Taylor

Quote from: Philippe on September 05, 2010, 11:31:00 PM

A basic Shure model goes for around $400...considering that some exotic boutique fxs pedals can approach that price, maybe you could design one for around $200-250 in parts? ;)

It would be quite possible to make a junky one, but to make one that actually sounds good would be way beyond my ability or probably that of most DIYers unfortunately. I think there's a schematic for one on Mark Hammer's site, but I'm guessing it's pretty lo-fi.

Quote from: Scruffie on September 05, 2010, 11:29:40 PMVibe, Chorus, Leslie, Phaser, Doubler all in one, it would make a nice Analog Multi FX unit.

Hmm, that's a very interesting idea...

Cymbal Monkey

Please make a tube driver PCB! I would love you forever!

azrael

therecordingart

Quote from: Philippe on September 05, 2010, 11:31:00 PM

This goes way beyond the average DIY'er. Unless you are good with very small surface mount work your enclosure will be as large as a desktop computer.