What Constitutes A "Boutique" Grade Pedal?

Started by thomasthebuzzard, December 06, 2010, 11:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasthebuzzard

jefe

Quote from: thomasthebuzzard on December 06, 2010, 01:30:52 PM
just looking for some help

There a plenty of people around here who are willing to help, especially if you have specific questions.

I think one of the aggravating things for some folks around here is the repeat questions. If you have a question, chances are, it has been asked (and answered) already. The search function is your friend here, obviously. Don't be afraid to revive an old thread if need be.

Another source of aggravation seems to come from people who post questions along the lines of "What's a good way to sell lots of pedals?", which comes off as "Lots of other people had to learn this the hard way, but why don't you just teach it to me so I can do it the easy way?". This obviouisly rubs people the wrong way. They didn't work hard to make your life easier. I hope that doesn't sound too harsh, but it's the truth. People will gladly help you, if you ask nicely, and without an air of entitlement.

Use the search, and keep your questions specific, that's my advice.

thomasthebuzzard

I do use the search. I feel like I'm being nice as well as open minded. Also, all I am asking for is advice, not the best way to sell a whole bunch of pedals.

jefe

Quote from: thomasthebuzzard on December 06, 2010, 02:37:33 PM
I do use the search. I feel like I'm being nice as well as open minded. Also, all I am asking for is advice, not the best way to sell a whole bunch of pedals.

Right.. you just want advice.. on how to make a "Boutique" pedal. Because you have a customer who will pay you for it. The thing is, there are thousands of so-called "Boutique" builders out there already, who had to learn all of this the hard way. Your question comes across as "Tell me how you did it, so I can take the short cut to get there.".

Now, I'm not saying that you feel entitled to this info, but many posters before you did seem to think that this info was "owed" to them, for some strange reason. They come on here and say "give me information, internet web site! I command you! Tell me everything you know!". It's not gonna happen, not like that. You have to dig for it.

If you want to know what constitutes a "Boutique" pedal, that's easy: buy one and take it apart, then copy what they did. Also, there are threads about marketing, pricing, etc, you just have to dig them out.

If you have specific questions concerning paint, labels, circuit boards, etc, this is the place to get those answers.

thomasthebuzzard

jefe

Quote from: thomasthebuzzard on December 06, 2010, 03:11:44 PM
I asked those questions.

Did you search for your answers first? Becasue those questions have been asked (and answered) a million times around here.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I guess I'm coming across that way, aren't I? Sorry about that. Seriously, the people here are great, and they will give you lots of excellent info... but I think some of them get sick of giving the same info, over and over and over..

edvard

The topic of "boutique" has been done to death on this and other forums, so please excuse any snarkiness.
That word evokes a Pavlovian response in some and a snigger-behind-the-hand in others, and is often as simple as the difference between "sliced bread" and "Pain de Mie".

I think what you mean by "boutique" has more to do with making an attractive product that visually matches the effort that has gone into the guts.
You've made good-sounding and sturdy pedals that are built with quality readily-available parts, now you want to make them good-looking and consistent as well.
Bravo, I say; you're well on your way.

Now, as to how to do that, jefe has given you some pointers.
There are a million "little" things that can be done, no blanket techniques or one-size-fits-all tutorials, so choose your battles.
Pick a topic and search that here, you'll get your answers:
Clearcoats, pot wiring, batteries vs. external power, etching, swirl paint, "Mojo" parts, enclosures, open jacks vs. enclosed, solid vs. stranded wire, true bypass vs. FET switching, etc., etc., it's all here somewhere...
Just keep building quality stuff and be as creative as you're able, eventually it'll all come together.

P.S. Don't neglect the Pictures thread...
All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy

Barcode80

Yes, to piggy back on that sentiment, good on you. The problem is there isn't a "standard" which makes a pedal "boutique." It's not really a grade of pedal, it's more of a method of operation.

Overall, aside from the other criteria mentioned, you can think of boutique as catering to the individual and not the masses. "Boutique" runs are general miniscule in number, and usually for a specific purpose or customer.

Just make sure you understand the difference between "boutique," "small," and "high-end."

For example, ZVex is no boutique brand. High end? Probably. Small? Depends on your definition, but not in my opinion. Boutique? Absolutely not. Boards and pedals mass produced and built by a Taiwan company and imported. Static base product lines and large production numbers.

Fulltone, ZVex, Keeley.... these aren't really boutique pedals in the purest sense of the word. PaulC, Cusack, these are "small" builders but likely they would not profess to be "boutique," as they still try to up production numbers and climb the efficiency ladder (switching to fabbed PCBs, etc.). IMHO, "boutique" builders have no interest in efficiency, as they are specialized in small, meticulously assembled runs.

But it's a pretty malleable word to begin with.

Philippe

Quote from: MikeH on December 06, 2010, 11:58:22 AM
Basically, anything that's made in small quantities, and not by wage-slaves in some third world nation...
Really there's no such thing as Boutique "Grade" in terms of quality.  It really just means Hand-Made.
That's it in a nutshell...even a well-made/properly functioning DIY project could be considered boutique (especially if you liked the outcome).

Like custom-made guitars vs production models, it depends on the builder's skill & attention to detail in determining which one is actually better than the other.

thomasthebuzzard

Thank you all! that was informative and educational. So what everyone pretty much told me is that alot of little things go into boutique making. I pretty much have my circuits down but its all the little things that make it "boutique" ie: originality of tone, art quality and lots of hard work. GOOD TO KNOW! Though I don't think it was proper manners to attack me on the whole subject I must say, even those post opened me up to alot of good stuff. Dig deep & look hard good advice guys. I guess the main two questions I was asking was about the painting style and some good pcb resources. Thanks.

R.G.

Quote from: MikeH on December 06, 2010, 01:24:21 PM
Lol - you sound surprised...  :icon_lol:
Not terribly. It's just ironic that we actually have someone who admits to being a beginner while already having opened a business to sell pedals, and at the same time is unfamiliar enough with pedals and the pedal business to have to ask what "boutique" is.

To Thomas: It's not an attack. It's just a terribly old story, predating your tech work, and possibly predating your birth. It's just ironic that it keeps coming up over and over.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

jacobyjd

Sorry if some folks got the wrong impression--I know that this community is a bit tired of people who are trying to start making stompboxes as a business venture trying to get free advice/information/R&D from the forum. This kind of opens things up for things to get a bit reactionary. Good luck with your builds :)
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

tiges_ tendres

People tend to get their knickers in a twist when someone wants to profit from the information they have shared freely for the good of the hobby/community.

If you really have what it takes to be successful at this, then I'm sure you will get everything figured out.  But rather than be shocked when you get a negative response to your questions from people that have been involved in this hobby/career for a long time (Many 30+ years!!), be humble that they humor you and at least gave you the time of day.

All the best with your venture. 
Try a little tenderness.

thomasthebuzzard

Thanks man. I totally get it (because of the last post. speaking of beating something into the ground.). I also should mention that I posed the question not only for myself but for beginners. I have actually worked for a couple of boutique and non boutique pedal and some synth companies assembling and designing. I make lots of pedals now but more for fun and then my friends ask me for something. This particular dude want something that looks and sounds "boutique". I was just trying to get some outside perspective. If you want some links to my work then PM me. I am not coming at this with no experience so stop being high and mighty. I also think there is criteria to a pedal that is being charged alot of money for as DIY pedals are.

thomasthebuzzard

am also not trying to start the poo storm that this post created. I am humble and would give anyone the time of day.

Brymus

I personally wouldn't buy a "Boutique" pedal unles I had tried it and just couldn't live without it.
For the cost of some DIY pedals I would rather have a name brand multi effects unit.
To me "boutique" should be something unique either in circuit or cosmetics,that you can't get anywhere else,preferably both.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

thomasthebuzzard

Brymus

I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

deadastronaut

Quote from: Brymus on December 06, 2010, 05:16:35 PM
I personally wouldn't buy a "Boutique" pedal unles I had tried it and just couldn't live without it.
For the cost of some DIY pedals I would rather have a name brand multi effects unit.
To me "boutique" should be something unique either in circuit or cosmetics,that you can't get anywhere else,preferably both.

yep!..ive bought multi effects boards for a tiny amount of money..with all the effects i really need, and more besides..

compared to ridiculous prices for one 'boutique' pedal.....i just dont get it..like £400.00 for a bloody one knob compressor wtf?.
what kind of mug buys into that?...( i know,one born every minute.)

also i f****g hate the word boutique...it just gives me an image of some poncey girls handbag shop..not anything
to do with guitars and rock thats for sure...boutique?..pahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... :icon_rolleyes:

so back to your question, 'what constitutes a 'boutique pedal' the ludicrous price. :P
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

jefe

Quote from: thomasthebuzzard on December 06, 2010, 05:10:10 PM
Thanks man. I totally get it (because of the last post. speaking of beating something into the ground.). I also should mention that I posed the question not only for myself but for beginners. I have actually worked for a couple of boutique and non boutique pedal and some synth companies assembling and designing. I make lots of pedals now but more for fun and then my friends ask me for something. This particular dude want something that looks and sounds "boutique". I was just trying to get some outside perspective. If you want some links to my work then PM me. I am not coming at this with no experience so stop being high and mighty. I also think there is criteria to a pedal that is being charged alot of money for as DIY pedals are.

Again, sorry for being such an a-hole. R.G.'s quote bears repeating:

Quote from: R.G. on December 06, 2010, 04:57:59 PM
Not terribly. It's just ironic that we actually have someone who admits to being a beginner while already having opened a business to sell pedals, and at the same time is unfamiliar enough with pedals and the pedal business to have to ask what "boutique" is.

It struck me as one of those questions: "If you have to ask, you'll never know". It's almost like asking "what constitues a sports car", when you've already been doing mechanical work on cars. I just found it hard to believe that you were making and selling decent quality pedals, but had to ask "what's a boutique pedal?". If you're making pedals, you've obviously been doing some research on the internet - that's the only place to get this info, the parts, etc... and yet you didn't really know what a boutique pedal is. It just struck me as strange.

But enough of that, all right? I'm only posting the above to hopefully explain myself, and why I was being a bit of a jerk. I mostly just misunderstood where you were coming from, and again, I appologize.

I hope you haven't gotten a bad impression of this website. Best of luck in your learning here, and I hope I can be of some assistance.