What Constitutes A "Boutique" Grade Pedal?

Started by thomasthebuzzard, December 06, 2010, 11:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasthebuzzard

This should be a good topic for learners like myself and potential pedal buyers that want to spring for something nice:

OK so I make stomp boxes. Pretty good ones. A germanium fuzz that self oscillates with an internal and external feedback loop, A duel metal distortion with "bit crushing" and some unique octave dives and drives, A germanium/zener overdrive designed after the prokon zd-1 and made especially for organs and electric piano. I sell all of these here and there locally at modest and low prices. These are just basic stomp boxes. They are sturdy. WAY sturdy. I have a guy who is interested in something "boutique" though so i decided to learn how to upgrade and make something a little fancier.

My current formula for all my boxes:
2n3904 transistors or assorted germanium transistors and some ics (555, 556, 386, 741)
germanium and zener diodes
ceramic disc and polarized caps
i put everything tightly on perf board
i use stranded .22 gauge wire
typical dp3t true bypass
hammond enclosures usually left blank or spraypaint and clear coat.

What can be improved on this? What are the best ways to get intricate art on a pedal? What is good paint to use? How do you condition it to make it scratch proof and get that boutique "shine" that pops out. I want the first one to be a clone as well and on a printed board so what is a good schematic to use (something super weird) and where is the best place to get circuit boards printed. I wouldn't mind outsourcing that detail to another company. Also is there a fancier/better way to wire true bypass? AND SO MANY OTHER QUESTIONS! BUT LETS NOT FORGET THE MAIN QUESTION: What Constitutes A "Boutique" Grade Pedal?

jefe

It sounds like you're already building "booteek" pedals. You just need to market them as such.  :icon_wink:

MikeH

Basically, anything that's made in small quantities, and not by wage-slaves in some third world nation.  

They are named as such because in the days prior to the interwebs, guys who built pedals themselves in small batches could only sell them locally, and usually only at "Boutique" type shops.  In other words, guitar center wasn't going to sell your pedals in their store, but "Fast Eddie" or any other Owner-run kind of place would.

Really there's no such thing as Boutique "Grade" in terms of quality.  It really just means Hand-Made.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Fender3D

Quote from: thomasthebuzzard on December 06, 2010, 11:43:19 AM
... I sell all of these here and there locally at modest and low prices...

This is where "Bootiq" differs, really.... :)
Raise your prices and you're done  :icon_mrgreen:
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

jefe

Quote from: Fender3D on December 06, 2010, 12:08:55 PM
Quote from: thomasthebuzzard on December 06, 2010, 11:43:19 AM
... I sell all of these here and there locally at modest and low prices...

This is where "Bootiq" differs, really.... :)
Raise your prices and you're done  :icon_mrgreen:

Good point, actually.

Fender3D - raise your prices by $100/pedal - bam, instant boutique. I'm not joking. There is a strange phenomenon, where a higher price makes people think that the product must be worth that extra $100.

Of course, you should take what I say with a large grain of salt, since I've never actually sold a pedal myself. I'm just going on what I've read around here, at other gear pages, etc. A few years back, Gibson raised the prices on their guitars, in order to INCREASE sales. And it worked, if I remember correctly.

thomasthebuzzard

I don't want to raise my prices. Most of my pedals i sell between $160 and $75. True Bypass, little to no background noise, no switch popping. All simple designs. I want to keep it honest. I also feel like the art is half the pedal. If i am going to charge more money it has to have a sick paint job. What are some good ways to do unique and intricate art? Who is a good company for pcbs? AND WHAT IS A GOOD CLONE? All of my stuff is original so far but i want to try my hand at someone else's  design. (I've built tons of fuzz face and big muff clones so something a little harder and crazier sounding)

jefe

Quote from: thomasthebuzzard on December 06, 2010, 12:28:25 PM
What are some good ways to do unique and intricate art?

There are about a million different ways to decorate pedals. What kind of look are you after? Can you elaborate? Give us some examples?

thomasthebuzzard

I really like the zvex stuff and the look of mxr pedals as well. The two that i have seen that i like the most so far are called the wolf computer and the sasquatch? really shiny and clean art.

fxseth

I really like advanced circuits for PCBs and use the for bothwork and my pedal designs.  They have a $33 special:

http://www.4pcb.com/index.php?load=content&page_id=130

you are allowed 60sq inches, so I repeat my pedal several times across the board. They then charge you an extra $50 for step and repeat.

so I can normally get 5 boards for about $180.  I cut them up and it makes about 75 pedal pcbs for me.

markeebee

Speaking pedantically.....

In the manufacturing world, 'Boutique' manufacturing means using jobbing techniques on a standard item.  If you make a unique bespoke, made-to-measure shirt: that's 'Job Production'.  If you make a number of identical, off-the-peg shirts: that's 'Batch Production'.   If you make a single off-the-peg shirt using the same techniques as you would a unique shirt: that's 'Boutique Production'.

Less sniffily.....

"Unique and interesting art" - check out Slade's etched pedals - they scream BOOOOOTTTTTIIIIIQQQQQQ
"Good company for pcbs" - etch it yourself.  It's easy, and you can develop a 'signature' layout style (BBBOOOOOOTTTTTIIIIQQQQQ!!!!)
"Good clone, crazier sounding" - anything designed by Tim Escobedo, with an added bass fuzz and feedback for BBBOOOOTTTTIIIQQQQiness

Now all you need to do is find a few emperors to buy those new clothes  :icon_wink:

thomasthebuzzard

What about etching my own boards? Do i need ventilation? certain chemicals? im guessing copper is one?

jefe

Quote from: thomasthebuzzard on December 06, 2010, 12:44:54 PM
I really like the zvex stuff and the look of mxr pedals as well. The two that i have seen that i like the most so far are called the wolf computer and the sasquatch? really shiny and clean art.

A lot of the zvex stuff is hand painted. For a shiny finish, use lots of clearcoat. A few people have been reporting good results with a pour-on clear coat called "envirotex".

markeebee

Quote from: thomasthebuzzard on December 06, 2010, 12:54:25 PM
What about etching my own boards? Do i need ventilation? certain chemicals? im guessing copper is one?

There are a bunch of ways to do an etch. Without wishing to be sniffy (again), it'll take an age for someone to give you a tutorial here, and the info is already well presented elsewhere.  I'd suggest you google to find the way that suits you best.

Lurco

thomasthebuzzard

what is the blooming flower? looks like i will have to find PCBs design software on the cheap (free) any recommendations for a noob? CLEAR COAT! I do that to my pedals and i bake for 45 mins at 250 degrees ish. comes out scratch resistant and shiny. So I should put the art between the paint and clear coat?

jefe

Quote from: thomasthebuzzard on December 06, 2010, 01:11:24 PMSo I should put the art between the paint and clear coat?

Yes, that way the clear coat will protect your artwork.

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

frank_p

Boutique is just a small store where I live.  It refers to pre-industrialisation means of production when makers would make the stuff in the back of the house and put it to display at the front window.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=boutique
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=apothecary

*Apothecaries formerly were notorious for "the assumed gravity and affectation of knowledge generally put on by the gentlemen of this profession, who are commonly as superficial in their learning as they are pedantic in their language"*

So it's more what you say about it than what's in there.

MikeH

"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Lurco