EM3207 (v1.1) - MN3207 based EHX Electric Mistress (9V) clone

Started by Thomeeque, June 03, 2011, 09:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njkmonty

I was wondering if there was a simple odd/even mod similar to the odd/even switch found on ada flanger clone
(see below)

perhaps somewhere near q1(2n3904) or ic1B 4558 from the Thomeequeeque's schematic found on page 1 of this thread?

oldschoolanalog

See PDF for the TDA1022 based EM Thomas designed. Your odd/even answer is there. ;)
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

njkmonty

i could only find this

http://thmq.mysteria.cz/em1022/index.htm

but couldn't seem to see the odd even switching?
or is it called something else , i notice there is 4 switches
mode
tone feedback
mix
is it one of these?

ive also made a few boards from tonepads,  small clone chorus, "stereo mod schematic" to try to adapt to my ada and  this build, which ive just completed. ive hooked them up and getting  it to work but a little unsure if ive done it correctly, if they are in or out of phase with each etc, you dont mind me asking a few more pics along this line?
http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=97

njkmonty

heres the stereo mod
"B" states on the tonepad page 4.5v, should i just connect to pin 5 of the 4558 ic?

Thomeeque

Quote from: njkmonty on September 25, 2011, 04:26:29 AM
I was wondering if there was a simple odd/even mod similar to the odd/even switch found on ada flanger clone
(see below)

I don't think it could be achieved just by some smart rewiring of existing circuitry, but you can build simple add-on like this:

IC1A would replace current BBD output buffer (remove Q1 and R15 from EM3x07 board and use it's pads to wire add-on to), IC1B simply inverts BBD output signal (which is what the EVEN mode is all about). R3+C1 integrates BBD output signal to get DC bias for inverter. Other way would be to use Vref from EM3x07 board, but DC level at BBD output differs from Vref, so there would be probably audible pop when S1 was switched.

Stereo could use signals from this add-on, I'll draw something tomorrow.

Quote from: njkmonty on September 25, 2011, 07:28:48 AM
i could only find this

http://thmq.mysteria.cz/em1022/index.htm

but couldn't seem to see the odd even switching?
or is it called something else , i notice there is 4 switches
mode
tone feedback
mix
is it one of these?

Both mix & feedback on POSITIVE = ODD (demo from 0:19)
Both mix & feedback on NEGATIVE = EVEN (demo from 2:48)

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

njkmonty

cool thanks heaps,...
i noticed you like your flangers!!!! :)

Thomeeque

Quote from: njkmonty on September 26, 2011, 06:24:29 AM
cool thanks heaps,...
i noticed you like your flangers!!!! :)

Yes, I do, you're welcome :)

Unfortunately stereo won't be that easy as I thought yesterday (pre/de-emphasis and feedback mixed into "dry" path* complicates it little bit). I need to reconfigure add-on above little more.. stay tuned :)

* it applies to your idea as well - more you would add COLOR, more would be wet signal cancelled in the second channel.

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

njkmonty

if its a pain in butt, and a mod not worth the hassle, then dont waste too much of your time!, what im realy after is an ada stereo mod, i just thought that if i made a couple of tonepad boards i could simply just piggyback them on both the ada and your mn3207 mistress! :
one other question, i notice a little "metallic" even when colour is down too minimum . do you just disconnect with a switch 2n2 feedback cap connection to the middle lug of the color pot? (if wanting no feedback at all?

njkmonty

just have to say totally love this build,!  love "the police" tones, and playing around with different ceramic caps  for the clock cap have made it so versatile, its so good ive been having difficulty putting it down, shine on crazy diamonds etc,
i must say, now come to think of it would be have to  am happy to wait for your drawing! ;D

Thomeeque

Quote from: njkmonty on September 26, 2011, 08:38:48 AM
one other question, i notice a little "metallic" even when colour is down too minimum . do you just disconnect with a switch 2n2 feedback cap connection to the middle lug of the color pot? (if wanting no feedback at all?

If you have wired everything correctly and COLOR pot is not defective, turning it down to minimum should completely cancel the feedback.. You can try to pull C4 (2n2) out with COLOR at minimum, if it changes, something is wrong.

Quote from: njkmonty on September 29, 2011, 07:12:13 AM
just have to say totally love this build,!  love "the police" tones, and playing around with different ceramic caps  for the clock cap have made it so versatile, its so good ive been having difficulty putting it down, shine on crazy diamonds etc,

Hi, it's a really pleasant reading :), congrats and thanks for your feedback!

Quote from: njkmonty on September 29, 2011, 07:12:13 AM
i must say, now come to think of it would be have to  am happy to wait for your drawing! ;D

Do you mean stereo "pain in butt" mod? ;) I tell you what, make few sound samples for us and I'll draw it for you, OK? :)

Cheers, T.

njkmonty

sounds good will do a vid!
the colour pot works fine, ti was more my mistake and interpretation! all good!

i dont normally do mods on builds just because they are available, so after putting this together and being very happy with,
i noticed on page 1 of this thread by "Mark Hammer"

First, there is the obvious possibility of splitting a mono input signal and having two asynchronous flanger outputs.
Second, there is the possibility of having a mixer and combining the two flanger signals into a single more complex mono output.
Third, there is the possibility of lifting the dry signal from each flanger outputs, and running them "stereo-out" to separate amps or mixer channels.  At slow sweep speeds, this can produce both apparent movement as the phase relationship between left and right keeps changing.  It can also produce "flanging in-air" (though that likely requires standing in the sweet spot).  At faster sweep speeds, you get stereo vibrato, which can be interesting.
Fourth, with dry lift, and setting one of them to "filter matrix" (non-swept) mode, combining flanger A and B gets you variations of through-zero flanging.

now i dont see myself using the "filter matrix " too much but, wondered, are some of Marks ideas, worth doing? or going overboard or wait for your post?
i currently have a 4 amp setup, which is why  stereo appeals to me!
jc120
fender twin
slo clone
18 watt tmb
what are your thoughts?

is building 2 boards a bit anal!!!:)?

oldschoolanalog

Put the range pot in a wah type enclosure and you will find yourself using filter matrix mode a lot. :icon_cool:
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

njkmonty

made another big video but kept stuffing up trying to upload, so had to make a quicker one!
i feel like im trying to keep up with all these flanging threads, but just came across this:

TZF3007 - TZF (short delay) module, MN3007 based

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=85977.0

is the tzf what im after for this build???

as promised ......

Scruffie

njkmonty

so just build 2 ?

if i do that as mark hammer suggests on first page of this thread, whats the best way? what i mean is having 2 in an enclosure opens up some possibilites, what would be the suggested scenarios? and how to implement it?

"First, there is the obvious possibility of splitting a mono input signal and having two asynchronous flanger outputs.
Second, there is the possibility of having a mixer and combining the two flanger signals into a single more complex mono output.
Third, there is the possibility of lifting the dry signal from each flanger outputs, and running them "stereo-out" to separate amps or mixer channels.  At slow sweep speeds, this can produce both apparent movement as the phase relationship between left and right keeps changing.  It can also produce "flanging in-air" (though that likely requires standing in the sweet spot).  At faster sweep speeds, you get stereo vibrato, which can be interesting.
Fourth, with dry lift, and setting one of them to "filter matrix" (non-swept) mode, combining flanger A and B gets you variations of through-zero flanging."

Thomeeque

Hi njkmonty, thanks for the video!! I'm sorry you had troubles with posting longer one, was it too long for youtube? Maybe you could split it into two parts?

Quote from: njkmonty on October 03, 2011, 08:16:57 AM
is this how tzf be applied ????

Principally yes, but:

1. You share same DC bias for both BBDs, so you could have problems to set both for the best performance.

2. You don't have sufficient filtering (LPFs at in and out), you could have heterodining issues.

3. EM clock is complicated and limited for this use.

Consider TZF3207 instead.. I would just maybe add resistors at BBD outs now (like R12 and R13 on EM3207), BBD should be more comfy this way (and you will be closer to EM3207).

Good luck, T.

Scruffie

Quote from: Thomeeque on October 03, 2011, 08:33:17 AM
Hi njkmonty, thanks for the video!! I'm sorry you had troubles with posting longer one, was it too long for youtube? Maybe you could split it into two parts?

Quote from: njkmonty on October 03, 2011, 08:16:57 AM
is this how tzf be applied ????

Principally yes, but:

1. You share same DC bias for both BBDs, so you could have problems to set both for the best performance.

2. You don't have sufficient filtering (LPFs at in and out), you could have heterodining issues.

3. EM clock is complicated and limited for this use.

Consider TZF3207 instead.. I would just maybe add resistors at BBD outs now (like R12 and R13 on EM3207), BBD should be more comfy this way (and you will be closer to EM3207).

Good luck, T.
Ooops, didn't check his schematic properly, thought he'd just cut in your TZF module not a copy of the circuit.

Thomeeque

Quote from: njkmonty on October 03, 2011, 08:30:15 AM
so just build 2 ?

if i do that as mark hammer suggests on first page of this thread, whats the best way? what i mean is having 2 in an enclosure opens up some possibilites, what would be the suggested scenarios? and how to implement it?

"First, there is the obvious possibility of splitting a mono input signal and having two asynchronous flanger outputs.
Third, there is the possibility of lifting the dry signal from each flanger outputs, and running them "stereo-out" to separate amps or mixer channels.  At slow sweep speeds, this can produce both apparent movement as the phase relationship between left and right keeps changing.  It can also produce "flanging in-air" (though that likely requires standing in the sweet spot).  At faster sweep speeds, you get stereo vibrato, which can be interesting.
Fourth, with dry lift, and setting one of them to "filter matrix" (non-swept) mode, combining flanger A and B gets you variations of through-zero flanging."

For starters build second unit, connect both inputs together and plug each output to one channel in stereo configuration.. then you can build simple mono or stereo mixer where you would mix dry signal and wet signals from both units (each signal with it's own switch or volume pot), this would allow you to try the rest of options.. There could be problem with heterodining, solvable by implementing LPFs into the mixer.. T.