GTFO - Full tube high-gain pedal (2x 12AX7)

Started by gtudoran, September 25, 2011, 02:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J0K3RX

Quote from: Hilli on March 16, 2012, 12:52:58 AM
Wow, Cool. How have you mounted the PCB? There are no holes....

Yeah, it's mounted weird... I have some plastic standoffs stuck to the back lid... It's pretty sturdy but I want to do your tone stack mod and get a bigger box. Ideally I would like to mount the tubes horizontally and internalize them with good ventilation.
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

Hilli

OK, Jim. Here is a pic from inside my GTFO. I must modified the PCB for many times, that's why it looks a bit sh****. The next one will be perfect.  ;D

Greetings.

J0K3RX

Hilli (Bernd)  C'mon man... you have the best looking build to date not to mention the bass/mid/treble mod!  :icon_wink: So you didn't modify the board layout for your mod I see.. Does fair.childs diagram look right? http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3891278/GTFO%20Mods.png 

I'll probably just refer to you schematic...

I am gonna do this on my next one but I am waiting for a bigger box to arrive...

You didn't have a little short in the middle of your board did you? Maybe it's just the way the light is hitting the copper?

Over all excellent build!!!

~Jim

Hilli

Thanks man. In the middle of the board you can see the tracks of a glass fiber brush, it is bare copper. The last modified schema is here. The tone stack can be found here.
I have used Pin 3 of pot 1 for output.

Bernd

fair.child

Quote from: Hilli on March 16, 2012, 11:46:33 PM
Thanks man. In the middle of the board you can see the tracks of a glass fiber brush, it is bare copper. The last modified schema is here. The tone stack can be found here.
I have used Pin 3 of pot 1 for output.

Bernd

Hey guys, I didn't post here for several days. I have searched down the quite good component of GTFO BOM,
I will used MMK, RIFA, Elna and Muse capacitors for my next GTFO. I've found a little bit problem about the 100uH inductor

can I used this one ?

instead I followed the picture from both of you, Bernd and Jim, have a different type of inductor ? is it possible to use this one ?
also it listed on the GTFO real BOM about 470uF. Is it also possible if I used 470 uF/50V ? What kind of cable did you use to wire up your board ? 22 or 24 AWG ? It looks bigger than normal AWG 22 or 24

I'm still etch my PCB, maybe next monday or a week then I'll post my PCB . Thanks for your suggestion about high voltage, I really aware with it

Cheers guys

gtudoran

Hey guys.... i'm ... just amazed  :o :o :o :o excellent builds congrats, pfff excellent again. Sorry that i didn't replay for some time but i was a little bit out of the country. Congrats again.

@fair.child: no you can't use that type of inductor, it has to be smth at least like this: http://www.voti.nl/common/L_9_100uH.jpg , the 450uF capacitor - you can use anything above 12V so a 50v would be just ok.

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound

fair.child

Quote from: gtudoran on March 17, 2012, 04:07:56 AM
Hey guys.... i'm ... just amazed  :o :o :o :o excellent builds congrats, pfff excellent again. Sorry that i didn't replay for some time but i was a little bit out of the country. Congrats again.

@fair.child: no you can't use that type of inductor, it has to be smth at least like this: http://www.voti.nl/common/L_9_100uH.jpg , the 450uF capacitor - you can use anything above 12V so a 50v would be just ok.

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound

Finally, the great wizard posted something here :D :D,

You've done a great job Gabriel, thank you for your attention,
Seems like the inductor should be rated 100uH /3A for it, okay I'll search down over my town tomorrow :) About the wire, could it possible using 22/24AWG ?
and about the resistor, is it okay to use 1/4 W 1% resistor ? like this

Cheers All

gtudoran

Quote from: fair.child on March 17, 2012, 11:51:20 AM
Quote from: gtudoran on March 17, 2012, 04:07:56 AM
Hey guys.... i'm ... just amazed  :o :o :o :o excellent builds congrats, pfff excellent again. Sorry that i didn't replay for some time but i was a little bit out of the country. Congrats again.

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound

Hey Fair.child,

I've used 1/4w rezistors without any problems, so yes you can use them - i also had some 1w small profile rezistors (if you have any you could use them).

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound

Finally, the great wizard posted something here :D :D,

You've done a great job Gabriel, thank you for your attention,
Seems like the inductor should be rated 100uH /3A for it, okay I'll search down over my town tomorrow :) About the wire, could it possible using 22/24AWG ?
and about the resistor, is it okay to use 1/4 W 1% resistor ? like this

Cheers All

Hilli

I bought these. Hope they will work better than mine. (I use 1,7A Induktors, through the coil flows a current of 240mA, but the impulse current is much higher. They runs hot)

J0K3RX

Quote from: Hilli on March 17, 2012, 06:41:16 PM
I bought these. Hope they will work better than mine. (I use 1,7A Induktors, through the coil flows a current of 240mA, but the impulse current is much higher. They runs hot)

I used these
http://www.futurlec.com/Power_Inductors.shtml

I got most of the parts from Futurlec... You have to email them and stay on their A$$E$ about your order. If one part is out of stock they will hold up the whole order until they get the parts in and they won't notify you. If you contact them they answer you back quickly... In my case they were out of one resistor on my order and I just told them to leave it off and just send the sh!t... Got my stuff in about 2 weeks in the US.  

Hilli

Hey Jim,
nice shop with a lot of nice parts. I found useful things there. But I miss tube-parts. These are the shops where I buy most of my stuff. Here and here.

J0K3RX

Quote from: Hilli on March 18, 2012, 04:06:31 AM
Hey Jim,
nice shop with a lot of nice parts. I found useful things there. But I miss tube-parts. These are the shops where I buy most of my stuff. Here and here.

Bernd,

Those are both nice links! Are they pretty reliable? I am interested! Not very many places in the US for that kind of stuff so I usually have to order from UK or China...

I have ordered from this site as well... pretty good and reliable although it takes a long time for me to receive the stuff in the US. I guess that's to be expected.
http://uk-electronic.de/onlineshop/

~ Jim

J0K3RX

Quote from: Hilli on March 17, 2012, 06:41:16 PM

Those look pretty hefty! They are surface mount but I am sure you can make them work easily by soldering leads to them or maybe even mounting them on the solder side of the board... They look like they will do well with little or no heat issues!

Hilli

Quote from: J0K3RX on March 18, 2012, 10:24:37 AM
Those are both nice links! Are they pretty reliable?

They are both ABSOLUTELY reliable. I've used for 8 years and NEVER had a problem. They are very fast, especially Tube-Town. (No, I get no money from the shops, unfortunately.  ;D)

Bernd

Hilli

Here comes another pic. I LOVE this little Box.

J0K3RX

Bernd - That looks insanely cool!!! How does it sound? Any clips? I know, I am always asking for something...  :icon_wink: Nice ENGL!

Hilli

Hi Jim,
I do not have any clips, but when I find the time I'll make a video. The ENGL is an old Screamer 50 from 1998. He is no longer in production, but I'm very happy to have this KILLER amp. The newer ENGL's are not bad, but they goes more and more Heavy Metal. And that's not my thing.

Bernd

Hilli

Quote from: J0K3RX on March 16, 2012, 10:46:09 PM
I am gonna do this on my next one but I am waiting for a bigger box to arrive...

Have you received the bigger box? I have ordered a new enclosure, this will be my build No.2.  A friend of mine had heard my GTFO and now.....I must build one for him.   8)

J0K3RX

Quote from: Hilli on March 24, 2012, 06:17:26 PM
Quote from: J0K3RX on March 16, 2012, 10:46:09 PM

Have you received the bigger box? I have ordered a new enclosure, this will be my build No.2.  A friend of mine had heard my GTFO and now.....I must build one for him.   8)

Yeah I have the new box but now I just need to find some time to make another one... I have built 2 now and this will be the 3rd... I know what you mean about the friend wanting one.. ha ha  ;)

forsakenrider

Very cool! I want to build one of these!  :icon_evil: