Turkey Day SHOOTOUT Competition

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, September 15, 2012, 02:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Jdansti

Quote from: aron on September 19, 2012, 03:50:15 PM
Make sure you send me your forum name if you have entered. Some of the orders don't have a username.

John Danna=Jdansti   Thx!
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Beo

Make sure you send me your forum name if you have entered. Some of the orders don't have a username.

Travis Pike - Beo

haveyouseenhim

Mike Scheurer= haveyouseenhim
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

defaced

Quote8]   This competition is for through-hole analog builds only. No DSP, SMD, or Tube builds. This makes the competition accessible and win-able to everyone!
I haven't decided if I'm in or not but I have a question for your consideration.  I have a concept that could be made much simpler using a MCU for some basic logic work - the MCU would not be in the signal path at all.  Since this rule loosely implies "no programming", I wanted to get clarification before I go much further on brainstorming the idea. 
-Mike

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: defaced on September 19, 2012, 10:18:04 PM
Quote8]   This competition is for through-hole analog builds only. No DSP, SMD, or Tube builds. This makes the competition accessible and win-able to everyone!
I haven't decided if I'm in or not but I have a question for your consideration.  I have a concept that could be made much simpler using a MCU for some basic logic work - the MCU would not be in the signal path at all.  Since this rule loosely implies "no programming", I wanted to get clarification before I go much further on brainstorming the idea. 

No DSP at all on this go round  ;D

Keeping it all through hole analog builds.

Hope you still enter. Good luck!
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

defaced

MCU /= DSP. DSP is Digital Signal Processing and is completely different than using a MCU (Microcontroller) for logic (not in the signal chain at all).  A DSP is used to take a signal, run it through analog to digital converters, manipulate it, run it through digital to analog converters then spit it out the output jack.  Here the DSP is in the signal path, further the code in the DSP IS the effect.  An MCU used for logic would be doing things like generating a LFO signal, a clock signal or turning on/off relays that manipulate the signal chain.  I can do what I'm planning on doing with stock CMOS and TTL chips but it's much easier to do it with an MCU. But that brings about another question....

Could please define "analog"?  Many of the circuits we play with are not analog, so "analog only" is rather ambiguous given what's common in the pedal genre historically and right now.  For example, a 4049 is not an analog chip, but is used in many distortion circuits.  For that matter neither are the charge pumps used, or the PT2399, or any of the BBD chips and clocks and...  you see where this is going.  If what you really mean is "no software programmable chips" then that wording would be better suited to what you're after than "analog only". 
-Mike

slacker

Guys guys stop asking for rule clarifications. One of the fun things with the Tone God's old FX-X competitions was stretching the definitions of the rules or interpreting them creatively. If we tie down every last detail there will be no opportunity for shenanigans :)

I'm in by the way.

Govmnt_Lacky

My initial thought is to say NO to any software programmable chips.

I will however, go with the majority ruling by the rest of the judges.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

nascarbean_97

I don't know if it has already been asked, but what about ptp builds? The basic entry fee? Would I have to put like, one component on a board?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: nascarbean_97 on September 20, 2012, 10:33:44 AM
I don't know if it has already been asked, but what about ptp builds? The basic entry fee? Would I have to put like, one component on a board?

Point to point builds are welcome to enter.

One entry fee for the build as long as it is one circuit in accordance with the rules and the MANY, MANY clarifications on this thread.  ;D

deadastronaut

can i put a picture of my cat on a pedal then call myself barbara whilst banging a box of cornflakes on my head and shouting obscene words?.....if so i'm in... ;D

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

pinkjimiphoton

sorry guys, but greg, dino and i discussed this at length...

this competition is ANALOG, THRU HOLE COMPONENTS ONLY.

molesting a cmos chip or whatever? fine... but no digital, period. sorry, but maybe in the future if we do this again, we can allow that.

but in this case,the rules are the rules, and are written in stone.

no arduinos, no logic circuits, no DSP or MCU etc... if it isn't being used in an analog fashion, fuhgeddaboubit.

gotta be analog bro.

and rob.... no extra points for calling yourself barbara. ;)

guys...the rules are the rules. read 'em and weep, but that's just the way it f'n is this time out. ;)

next time, we'll do hardware VST hosts or something... ;) lol
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

defaced

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 20, 2012, 11:35:06 AM
sorry guys, but greg, dino and i discussed this at length...

this competition is ANALOG, THRU HOLE COMPONENTS ONLY.

molesting a cmos chip or whatever? fine... but no digital, period. sorry, but maybe in the future if we do this again, we can allow that.

but in this case,the rules are the rules, and are written in stone.

no arduinos, no logic circuits, no DSP or MCU etc... if it isn't being used in an analog fashion, fuhgeddaboubit.

gotta be analog bro.

and rob.... no extra points for calling yourself barbara. ;)

guys...the rules are the rules. read 'em and weep, but that's just the way it f'n is this time out. ;)

next time, we'll do hardware VST hosts or something... ;) lol
What's with the attitude - and not just you, everyone being condescending about me asking this question?  I'm simply asking questions so I don't do alot of work for nothing.  
-Mike

Jdansti

Quote from: deadastronaut on September 20, 2012, 10:56:43 AM
can i put a picture of my cat on a pedal then call myself barbara whilst banging a box of cornflakes on my head and shouting obscene words?.....if so i'm in... ;D

Only if you provide a video, Barbara. ;)
  • SUPPORTER

Govmnt_Lacky

@defaced

Sorry if you feel there is attitude behind the responses. I cannot speak for jimi but I had no such intentions. If there was implied attitude from other responses you can probably chalk it up to the many times that people have tried to "interpret" the rules and how many times they have needed to be clarified. We welcome any questions about whether or not your build will fall under the competition rules. We only ask that you familiarize yourselves with the rules that are already posted AND that you look through the thread to see if your question has already been answered.

We want a good competition, open to all, that will inspire other builds or builders AND help the forum. These basic goals are what inspired the rules. I really hope you come up with something great for your build. This time around though... It will need to be absent of your MCU idea.

Good Luck  ;D

@Rob

Feel free to enter whatever you like as long as you have paid to enter  ;D please just try to keep it somewhat decent  :icon_lol:

Jdansti

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 20, 2012, 12:19:04 PM

@Rob.  @BARBARA!

Feel free to enter whatever you like as long as you have paid to enter  ;D please just try to keep it somewhat decent  :icon_lol:

• SUPPORTER

garcho

Quotetry to keep it somewhat decent

yeah, no weenies!!!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Perrow

Quote from: garcho on September 20, 2012, 12:54:47 PM
Quotetry to keep it somewhat decent

yeah, no weenies!!!

That's gonna hamper Barbara a lot ;D
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

defaced

QuoteSorry if you feel there is attitude behind the responses. I cannot speak for jimi but I had no such intentions. If there was implied attitude from other responses you can probably chalk it up to the many times that people have tried to "interpret" the rules and how many times they have needed to be clarified. We welcome any questions about whether or not your build will fall under the competition rules. We only ask that you familiarize yourselves with the rules that are already posted AND that you look through the thread to see if your question has already been answered.

We want a good competition, open to all, that will inspire other builds or builders AND help the forum. These basic goals are what inspired the rules. I really hope you come up with something great for your build. This time around though... It will need to be absent of your MCU idea.
Thank you.  Absent of the MCU is fine, I understand the spirit of the competition (everyone can compete) and think it's a good idea.  I will be frank, my submission, if I can swing it (time is a premium), will include cookbook logic circuits and off the shelf parts to control signal routing; the signal path will be all analog.  Here's my point of confusion, that is digital by the definition of digital (but so are alot of other things that show up on common pedals, see my post above), but I do not think it violates the intent of what you're trying to achieve (off the shelf parts and circuits that everyone has access to and can compete with).  Fundamentally, that's why I'm asking the question - by definition I can't tell if it's not allowed, by intent, it looks like this is cool.  If that's not allowed, that's cool no hard feeling and good job on putting together a level competition, but at this time I'll abstain from entering because for my personal goals, I'd like to do this concept to this extent and doing less is kinda fruitless for me because it doesn't really do what I want it to do.  If it is allowed, awesome, I'll kick ass and if I can get a chunk of this knocked out before the entry deadline closes, then I'll pay my fee and compete. I think you may want to consider amending the rules to "no software programmed chips" because I am getting the feeling that more wholly communicates what you mean. I guess more succinctly put, "digital" in the pedal vernacular is different than "digital" in the technology world, and that's causing my confusion.
-Mike