News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

FXCore coming soon?

Started by potul, March 27, 2020, 04:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ice-9

Yeah the specs are all at the Experimental Noize website, the link to the docs is in the very first post in this thread. Lots of reading. :)
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

niektb

Hahaha I hoped that somebody might have already created a short comparison (so I didn't have to read so much haha  :icon_mrgreen:)

GaryInThailand

FXCore has more of everything. Except delay memory.. :icon_neutral:

potul

Quote from: niektb on June 10, 2020, 10:06:42 AM
Hahaha I hoped that somebody might have already created a short comparison (so I didn't have to read so much haha  :icon_mrgreen:)

at a first glance what I see is:

-FX Core has internal program memory. No need for external EEPROM
-FX Core has the same delay memory
-FX Core has more LFOs
-FX Core has more POTs
-FX Core has buttons
-FX Core does NOT have ADC/DAC integrated

I didn't dig into the assembler language, so probably there are other relevant differences on what you can do with it.

GaryInThailand

Quote from: potul on June 20, 2020, 03:48:44 AM
Quote from: niektb on June 10, 2020, 10:06:42 AM

at a first glance what I see is:

-FX Core has internal program memory. No need for external EEPROM
-FX Core has the same delay memory
-FX Core has more LFOs
-FX Core has more POTs
-FX Core has buttons
-FX Core does NOT have ADC/DAC integrated

I didn't dig into the assembler language, so probably there are other relevant differences on what you can do with it.

to add on...
- FX Core supports 4 channels in and 4 out. As noted, this is via external ADC/DAC
- FX Core has an easy-to-use Tap Temp input

octfrank

Adding a little more;
- 2 output pins controlled by user program
- Larger instruction set
- Both saturating and non-saturating math functions
- Can generate or sync to a word clock
- Faster execution, up to 1024 instructions per sample period
- Variable clocks per instruction
- 32-bit x 32-bit multiplier
- 32-bit and 64-bit accumulators
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize

vigilante397

I got my devboard a week ago and have yet to plug it in, super excited about it though 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Ice-9

Quote from: vigilante397 on June 20, 2020, 02:42:16 PM
I got my devboard a week ago and have yet to plug it in, super excited about it though 8)

Got my Dev board as well, had a little try out of the programs already installed and managed to write a basic delay program. Sound quality is very good with the Dev board.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

vigilante397

I finally got around to plugging in my dev board and playing around with the default programs. On a quick play-through I didn't feel like it was a huge step-up from the FV-1 on things like reverb, delay, and other modulation effects. I need to play with the compander a bit more to develop an opinion on that. The distortion isn't as bad as I expected, but isn't what I would consider a useful dirt tone either. The nano-looper only seems to loop about a second, unless I'm doing something wrong?

I will say the pitch shifter works better than the ones I've tried on FV-1. It tracks very well and the generated harmonies (I pretty much just did -1 and +1 octave) sounded excellent, very smooth and natural sound.

Definitely excited to play with this more :)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Ice-9

Quote from: vigilante397 on June 30, 2020, 05:44:14 PM
I finally got around to plugging in my dev board and playing around with the default programs. On a quick play-through I didn't feel like it was a huge step-up from the FV-1 on things like reverb, delay, and other modulation effects. I need to play with the compander a bit more to develop an opinion on that. The distortion isn't as bad as I expected, but isn't what I would consider a useful dirt tone either. The nano-looper only seems to loop about a second, unless I'm doing something wrong?

I will say the pitch shifter works better than the ones I've tried on FV-1. It tracks very well and the generated harmonies (I pretty much just did -1 and +1 octave) sounded excellent, very smooth and natural sound.

Definitely excited to play with this more :)

With 32k of delay memory and 32kHz clock then a maximum of 1 second Nano looper time is correct.
Sound quality is superior with the external codecs.
The Compander installed program is really good once you get the hang of how to control it, that one alone was very impressive.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

MetalGuy

I'm sorry to hijack it but whatever happened with those DREAM Sound Synthesis DSP chips like SAM5504B for example? Those looked like a HUGE step up from the FV-1 and the new FXcore. Or maybe they are too complicated for DIY projects?

Digital Larry

Quote from: MetalGuy on July 01, 2020, 03:13:53 PM
I'm sorry to hijack it but whatever happened with those DREAM Sound Synthesis DSP chips like SAM5504B for example? Those looked like a HUGE step up from the FV-1 and the new FXcore. Or maybe they are too complicated for DIY projects?
https://www.profusionplc.com/parts/sam5504-ek
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

Ice-9

Aren't these more like a synth chip for keyboards than an effects DSP?
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Digital Larry

Quote from: Ice-9 on July 02, 2020, 05:44:41 AM
Aren't these more like a synth chip for keyboards than an effects DSP?
Sure looks like it, although I think Keeley uses "some" Dream chip on recent DSP pedals.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

MetalGuy

Quotehttps://www.profusionplc.com/parts/sam5504-ek

I know they are available from Profusion. What I meant was why we don't see it used in DIY projects. The thing has 4 DSP cores and tons of features. It looks like they have a guitar effects firmware as well:

https://www.dream.fr/pdf/Serie5000/Firmwares/Firm5504GTFX.pdf

knutolai

Where do you buy the FXCore development board? I can't find it on the Experimental Noize website  :icon_question:

vigilante397

Quote from: knutolai on July 10, 2020, 01:48:24 PM
Where do you buy the FXCore development board? I can't find it on the Experimental Noize website  :icon_question:

Send them an email, they'll send you the quote, you pay the quote, they'll ship it to you absurdly fast. That was my experience anyway.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

Ice-9

Quote from: knutolai on July 10, 2020, 01:48:24 PM

As your in Norway you will need to buy from the EU spplier. they have these in stock
https://www.profusionplc.com/type/development-board?mnf=exp%20noize
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

knutolai

Quote from: octfrank on June 20, 2020, 02:33:20 PM
Adding a little more;
- 2 output pins controlled by user program
- Larger instruction set
- Both saturating and non-saturating math functions
- Can generate or sync to a word clock
- Faster execution, up to 1024 instructions per sample period
- Variable clocks per instruction
- 32-bit x 32-bit multiplier
- 32-bit and 64-bit accumulators

Am I reading this correctly that it's possible to adjust the system clock via code, similarly to inputting a variable clock frequency to the crystal clock pin on the FV1?

octfrank

Quote from: knutolai on July 22, 2020, 06:14:24 PM
Am I reading this correctly that it's possible to adjust the system clock via code, similarly to inputting a variable clock frequency to the crystal clock pin on the FV1?

No, it is not.
Frank Thomson
Experimental Noize