News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurtlives

Yes they all join up anyways.

Here's the thing though. Why use a mechanical part as ground point, hell why use two?

The jacks are put under a lot of stress (compared to other components). They see a lot of movement with cables going in and out, wiggled around, step on. Over time that jack is going to loosen and your ground connection will be compromised. So rather than worry about both ground points becoming loose just use one.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

eniacmike

dr. boogie

houston oilers themed ocd clone

mesa boogie channel switcher

zendrive

solaris inspired ocd clone with a cool black bezel.

Barcode80

Quote from: deadastronaut on November 20, 2010, 12:10:16 PM
hmmmm....

i got the idea of that, but, dont all grounds join up anyway ..whether from power or signal?..

or am i being a nooby dooby? again!. :icon_mrgreen:

i feel a slapping of my forehead moment coming on.. :icon_wink:
no. your power ground never touches the chassis, and your in/out jack grounds do. You don't have to ground the jack to the power ground.

Slade

My latest:

Cheers!
Fernando.-

deadastronaut

Quote from: Barcode80 on November 20, 2010, 02:05:51 PM
hmmmm....

i got the idea of that, but, dont all grounds join up anyway ..whether from power or signal?..

or am i being a nooby dooby? again!. :icon_mrgreen:

i feel a slapping of my forehead moment coming on.. :icon_wink:
no. your power ground never touches the chassis, and your in/out jack grounds do. You don't have to ground the jack to the power ground.

hold on i think i need to slap myself a bit more on this sorry guys....but what about the ground on the pcb...i dont see the difference...
where would the pcb ground on this go to then?..or just leave it off?..i feel a head slap approaching...a hard one ha ha.. :icon_mrgreen:
are signal ground and power ground 2 entirely different entities?..
we dont have seperate grounds on pcbs do we.....sorry for being a dumbass ..but its just seems weird..
and its strange when you see conflicting answers... :icon_wink:

when i breadboard i ground my out on the same rail as my -9v..is this wrong then?

ps lovely work as usual slade...nice.
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Barcode80

all you do is wire PCB ground to the ground lug of the 9V jack... the audio jacks don't enter into it....

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question?

deadastronaut

Quote from: Barcode80 on November 20, 2010, 03:24:34 PM
all you do is wire PCB ground to the ground lug of the 9V jack... the audio jacks don't enter into it....

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question?

mmmm ok,  i'll slap myself now...really hard.. :icon_wink:

think im just getting confused with boxing up and breading as when i breadboard  all grounds are together..in/out/-9v...
just me being thick ok... :P cheers.

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Steve Mavronis

Sorry for a little non-picture deversion. Hmm, this is interesting because it makes me look back at a previous build of mine. I have the DC jack pin 1 (negative tip) ground wired to the output jack sleeve to chassis ground. The 3PDT footswitch ground path (grounding the PCB input when bypassed) also goes to the output jack sleeve. The PCB ground is wired to the input jack sleeve to chassis ground.

Are you saying I should only be grounding the PCB ground to the DC jack pin 1 (negative tip) ground only? Or should all the grounds connect together at one point?
Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

John Lyons

Fantastic Fernando!!
I love the fade/burst color and knob/switch placement.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

deadastronaut

Quote from: Steve Mavronis on November 20, 2010, 04:20:35 PM

Are you saying I should only be grounding the PCB ground to the DC jack pin 1 (negative tip) ground only? Or should all the grounds connect together at one point?

glad its not just me then... :icon_redface:

richon

Quote from: Slade on November 20, 2010, 03:02:53 PM
My latest:

Cheers!
Fernando.-

UUUUUUUTAAAAA que quedo lindo!!!   el rojo esta de moda!!! :icon_mrgreen:
Richon - Ricardo
Viña del Mar
Chile
www.richon.cl

I like Grunge

@ Slade: Nice Work as always (didn't you heard this a 1000 times?)

@ all:

My Phaser:

I think it shouldn't be compared with Slade's work, I'm still 14...

Barcode80

Quote from: Steve Mavronis on November 20, 2010, 04:20:35 PM

Sorry for a little non-picture deversion. Hmm, this is interesting because it makes me look back at a previous build of mine. I have the DC jack pin 1 (negative tip) ground wired to the output jack sleeve to chassis ground. The 3PDT footswitch ground path (grounding the PCB input when bypassed) also goes to the output jack sleeve. The PCB ground is wired to the input jack sleeve to chassis ground.

It's not a matter of "should" it's just a matter of preference. If your pedal works fine and is quiet, don't mess with it! :)

Leaving the unnecessary wire off the jack sleeves just helps reduce the chance of 9v buzz, ticking, and various other noise annoyances that come from a common ground between signal and power. THere is nothing wrong with the way you are wiring per se, as long as the thing works!

nomorebetts

HIDROSIS FUZZZZZZZ!!!
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=50984.0

This was my first (and maybe last) perf build.  My guts are getting cleaner but there's still room for improvement.

I like Big Muffs! and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny...

G. Hoffman

Yes, they do.  BUT, if you allow more than one connection between the two, you can end up making a ground loop, which causes hum.  If we has super conductors to use for all out ground paths, it wouldn't matter because the whole track would be at the same potential, but because copper has some resistance you will have a bit of voltage between any two points (hopefully in the micro or millivolt range) , which Will allow some current to flow, which causes hum.

Now, the power and signal grounds will not necessarily join up in the pedal.  It may happen in your amp, or in some other pedal, but they will meet somewhere.  Ideally, they meet in only one place, though depending on the specific situation you can get away with more than one.

Gabriel

Güero

Curing the infection one bullet at a time.

azrael

Very nice!
How are the labels put on?
Any chance of gutshots? I'm interested in seeing how you crammed it all in. :D

eniacmike

big muff. the switch changes c10 between 4.7nF and 10nF for scooped mids or flat mids.

tasos

Quote from: Güero on November 21, 2010, 12:51:29 AM
A modified TS9

hmmmm!that's great!it ooks so pro!i can't say more! :icon_biggrin:

darron

new layout for my GE boost....

Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!