News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slacker

Quote from: G. Hoffman on November 21, 2010, 12:07:32 AM
Now, the power and signal grounds will not necessarily join up in the pedal.  It may happen in your amp, or in some other pedal, but they will meet somewhere.  Ideally, they meet in only one place, though depending on the specific situation you can get away with more than one.

The problem with that is you can't guarantee that they will be connected somewhere else in the chain, if they do then everything's cool if they don't then your pedal won't work.

Güero

Quote from: tasos on November 21, 2010, 03:20:04 AM
Quote from: Güero on November 21, 2010, 12:51:29 AM
A modified TS9

hmmmm!that's great!it ooks so pro!i can't say more! :icon_biggrin:

A simple DPDT with center off.
1/2 for the LEDS and other 1/2 for the resistors in paralel with actual 4K7.
In center position the resistors are disabled.

Curing the infection one bullet at a time.

Güero

Quote from: azrael on November 21, 2010, 01:36:36 AM
Very nice!
How are the labels put on?
Any chance of gutshots? I'm interested in seeing how you crammed it all in. :D

I just print the labels in a transparency adhesive, clear coat and that's it.
I send the pedal to the customer yesterday, so I don't have internal shots.
Curing the infection one bullet at a time.

ayayay!

QuoteI just print the labels in a transparency adhesive, clear coat and that's it.

Can you elaborate?  Those look great.   What product do you use?

Thanks. 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

kupfer_m

Slade

Quote from: John Lyons on November 21, 2010, 10:17:57 AM
Zippy

Those guts doesn't seem to be on the same black enclosure... what is this about? Trying to trick us? Are you tired of showing your beautiful wirings? We're not! :icon_lol:

John Lyons

Same guts different box. Can't fool you guys.
Didn't take a pic of the black boxes guts.

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Greenmachine

John,

Your enclosures are beautiful.  Textured, warm tones, and you don't clutter them up with decals/labels.  Very classy.
:icon_cool:

mattthegamer463

John, out of curiosity, and sorry if you've answered this before in this 700 page thread, but do you sell these personally to your consumers or do you sell these to a music store or some other distributor? The rate you churn these pedals out is incredible.

John Lyons

I sell to one distributor right now (Prymaxe Vintage) and sell direct otherwise.
I actually make a lot more pedals than I post here.  :icon_biggrin:
Thanks for the kind words!
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Perrow

My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

ayayay!

Quote from: Perrow on November 21, 2010, 04:33:48 PM
Quote from: John Lyons on November 21, 2010, 02:39:01 PM
I actually make a lot more pedals than I post here.  :icon_biggrin:
:icon_eek:

I figured as much.  Anyone who can shoot 'em out like John is not solely doing it for DIY pleasure.   ...Unless he's a trust fund baby.  John please tell me you're not...   :icon_mad:

Another great build John.  You still doing PCB runs for folks? 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Barcode80

Quote from: slacker on November 21, 2010, 07:14:29 AM
Now, the power and signal grounds will not necessarily join up in the pedal.  It may happen in your amp, or in some other pedal, but they will meet somewhere.  Ideally, they meet in only one place, though depending on the specific situation you can get away with more than one.

The problem with that is you can't guarantee that they will be connected somewhere else in the chain, if they do then everything's cool if they don't then your pedal won't work.
This doesn't make any sense. If your signal isn't grounded in a spot in your chain, you'll have no signal anyhow...

slacker

This doesn't make any sense. If your signal isn't grounded in a spot in your chain, you'll have no signal anyhow...

Yes it does :) No one was talking about breaking signal ground, unless I've misunderstood the discussion.

I was referring to this statement "the power and signal grounds will not necessarily join up in the pedal". At some point for each power supply you're using there has to be a connection between the DC jack negative (assuming negative ground) and signal ground, if you don't make this in a particular pedal you're relying on the fact that some other pedal in the chain makes this connection. If all your pedals had no connection between the DC jack and signal ground they wouldn't work, but providing there's no breaks in signal ground they'd pass sound when bypassed.

G. Hoffman

Quote from: slacker on November 21, 2010, 07:14:29 AM

Yeah, if your going to do that you need to have a signal ground lift switch.  Personally, I'd rather just have a transformer isolated power supply (and, come to think of it, I do), but you can also defeat ground loops by breaking a signal ground somewhere.  For instance, in professional audio (the real thing, not what they sell at Banjo Mart), we all carry around XLR barrels and 1/4" TRS cables that have no ground connections.  If we have a ground loop in our system somewhere, we will throw one of those in line to break the signal ground.  Both units still have the same ground reference through the power supply, but the cable shield is only a shield, and not a ground reference.

Another example would be, in my amps I have a switch which will disconnect the signal ground from the chassis.  If there is a ground loop between several pieces of gear in my signal chain, I can usually break it by flipping the ground switch on my amp.  (This has no relation to the death cap ground switch you find in older amps.)

In practice, I don't know that I have ever seen a pedal that does this kind of thing, though.  Still, using a patch cord with the sleeve disconnected to break a signal ground would be much safer than using a 3-to-2 ground lift on your amp's power cable!  (Which you should NEVER EVER do, of course.)

Gabriel

Mugshot

about grounding and avoiding ground loops, i tried drawing an illustration of how i plan to wire mine pedals, of course, subject to approval of DIYSB kind folks :-)

pardon the horrible MS Paint job  :icon_lol:
i am what i am, so are you.

electrosonic

Minimal LM386 amp
Jfet buffer into a lm386 with gain of 20
No tone or volume controls
1590BB from Smallbear (factory 2nd powdercoat)

Andrew
  • SUPPORTER

deadastronaut

mmmm conflicting answers again....(and a bit of hijacking too)..

guys, might i suggest we move this to a 'to ground or not to ground thread'? or some such title....
its very interesting and informative in its own right for dumbasses like me..
im sure folks just want to see pretty pics in here. ;)..

here ya go i made a link for this..'to ground or not to ground'

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=88302.new#new
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//