Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ummagumma

PlexiTone (madbean)

Frances Rhodes

Quote from: John Lyons on May 29, 2012, 09:02:06 PM

Octave down into a Tri/Ram muff with a feedback loop.

looks amazing, sir lyons, as always!
i have a question about the feedback loop added, did you just add it to make 3 effects in one box (feeding the output of the fuzz back into the input of the octave) or did you take the signal from a specific point of the circuit to an other?
sorry if i'm not clear, i try my best!! i'd understand if you wanted to keep it silent if the circuit is patented or else.

best regards
"If it's too loud, you're not too old, it's Alancka Effectors."

https://www.facebook.com/alancka.effectors?sk=info

Electric Warrior

Quote from: KrazyKarl on May 30, 2012, 12:22:25 PM
@Electric Warrior

Also very nice! Where did you get your bc183s?

musikding.de

roseblood11

Quote from: KrazyKarl on May 30, 2012, 12:21:04 PM
Looks great! What is it?

http://ustomp.com/?p=5

The original had a foot pedal for the fuzz control, like a Wah. Basically it's a simplified Univox Superfuzz.
Listen to the first few seconds of U2's "Elevation". Or to the song "Orange Kay" by Daniel Lanois.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkPH4aVCdYA&feature=fvwrel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnKxu4bpA9Q

KrazyKarl

kaycee

Quote from: deadastronaut on May 28, 2012, 04:52:05 AM
^ great robot assistant too....i collect robots!.. :icon_cool:

:icon_redface: I've got a couple too, and a nice little Thunderbird 2 on display in my 'den' as the Yanks would say.

John Lyons

Quote from: Frances Rhodes on May 30, 2012, 01:22:10 PM
looks amazing, sir lyons, as always!
i have a question about the feedback loop added, did you just add it to make 3 effects in one box
(feeding the output of the fuzz back into the input of the octave) or did you take the signal from a
specific point of the circuit to an other?
best regards

Yes, I just took the output into the octave.
So it goes Octave > muff > Octave input (beahwaheeeeuuuurrrr!) Then the level control
is just resistance in series with the loop to get lower or higher frequency oscillation etc.
Thanks for the kind words!

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

midwayfair

The Baby Bactrian:

How much fun was it to call the last picture "baby bactrian guts?"   ;D

It's "almost a Red Llama" - I had to sub a 120pf cap for the 100pf cap because I ran out of 100s. I'm not entirely convinced it was an okay substitution. This one sounds a little harsher than the other llama I built, even though I'm almost certain it should have reduced the highs.

The case sure came out better than last time! (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=4327.0) But still not perfectly by any means. It was ridiculously humid here the last couple days and the paint just wouldn't dry properly, so there's some dirt and finger marks and touch ups.

And the Engineer's Thumb:

It's one of MerlinB's designs (check out the thread here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=97123.0). This was by far the most complicated thing I've tackled on perfboard. I think I did okay with the layout - MerlinB's etch layout was actually a little more complicated (it had more jumpers, though it was a little smaller). Sabro also did a vero layout, but it won't fit in a 1590B and I hate working with vero most of the time because it's so wasteful of space. (I also didn't feel like decoding and reversing the millenium bypass used on the Vero).
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Jdansti

Very nice Jon!

Well here's my contribution to moving this thread closure to dooms day. I've been chasing wires, pots and switches too long. I decided to permanently install my breadboard in a small rig that has power and places for pots and switches. I made the "pot holders" so that I can slip them the pots into place and tighten the nut without having to remove the nut and washer. I mounted a ground bus that runs along two sides. The power supply jack automatically disengages the battery as in a pedal. There's a separate on/off switch and LED power indicator. I mounted a DPDT switch that I can attach to with alligator clips. I still want to install a fuse holder to protect against shorts.

The wood work is pretty sloppy, but the utility is good. I started off with two slide switches I had laying around for the power and spare switch. I decided to hot glue them in place since I didn't have any teensy screws. I learned that hot glue and slide switches are a bad combination. I didn't notice the glue going inside the switches and they ended up being glued into one position. I had to use my heat gun to unglue them from the wood and chunk them.   :(

Here're some photos:

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Govmnt_Lacky

MXR micro twins!!  :o

Micro Flanger and Micro Chorus in the same BB enclosure. TB + either/or switching. Bi-color LED to indicate which effect is on. LED is off in TB.

**Special thanks for Fender3D for the board layout and tech assistance**

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Fender3D

Great job, Greg  :icon_smile:
I would've never thought of a 2 in-a-box setup  :icon_redface:

Nice and beautiful graphic layout too

Thank you, you made it (them) alive...
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

Slade

^^^
Very cool idea, and nice work!

midwayfair

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on May 31, 2012, 09:57:20 PM
MXR micro twins!!  :o

Micro Flanger and Micro Chorus in the same BB enclosure. TB + either/or switching. Bi-color LED to indicate which effect is on. LED is off in TB.

**Special thanks for Fender3D for the board layout and tech assistance**

This is great! And a pretty rare chip set ...
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Colonel Angus

Are those your garbage-scored ICs? Looks awesome!! Great Work!
Quote from: frequencycentral on June 16, 2012, 12:59:15 PM
Why should you not have 90o angles? Do the electrons bunch up in the corners?

Govmnt_Lacky

Thank you for the praise gents  :icon_redface:

I really need to give a ton of credit to Fender3D. He was instrumental in getting this project to come alive!

@colonel: Yes... Those are some of the "garbage score" ICs.

The chorus is very sweet. Has a little static at higher volumes but this can be quashed with a noise gate. The flanger needs a bit more work as I am getting a bit of cracking static and AM radio whining with the LFO. Need to try a low current op amp in the LFO section (hence my post to trade for TL061s in the For Sale thread)

Anybody have any available?  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

Thomeeque

How do controls work? Are those dual pots?

Edit: sorry, I probably got it - chorus has only the RATE pot, flanger has SPEED and REGEN pots, right? I should have checked the original Micro Chorus and Micro Flager controls first :)
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Govmnt_Lacky

@Thom

Yes. Separate controls for each effect.  ;D

Thomeeque

Btw. I have found that using dual-color LED this way may give you hard-times in the real gig conditions - with some strong color lights used on the stage you may not be able to distinguish what color actually does LED light at the moment :) Here it would not be that critical but I have used RED/GREEN for the CLEAN/OVERDRIVE and it was pretty pathetic when I have dramatically started some solo requiring heavy distortion with the thin bridge-pickup clean sound :icon_mrgreen:

Knowledge I have gained from this: if you don't see some simple cool feature used already on the professional stompboxes you should spend some time thinking if there's not some drawback :)

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!