News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rankot

Quote from: temol on January 08, 2021, 09:50:57 AM
Something heavy and big - reactive load.

Interesting - I'm currently waiting for a choke and power resistors to complete parts for the same thing :)
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

peterc

QuoteTemol:
Not exactly. Rather similar to Aiken reactive load. I do not use transformer for the line out, no fan, a bit different schematic.

Thanks 

temol

Quote from: rankot
Interesting - I'm currently waiting for a choke and power resistors to complete parts for the same thing :)

What a coincidence :)
Actually, I've built two reactive loads. The other one is a bit smaller (in size and wattage) but has additional feature  - attenuator.

rankot

Quote from: temol on January 08, 2021, 07:31:02 PM
Actually, I've built two reactive loads. The other one is a bit smaller (in size and wattage) but has additional feature  - attenuator.

I see you used some 10 or 20W resistors. I'm going to use 50 & 100W, but I'm not sure how to size the heatsink for them.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

rankot

Quote from: temol on January 08, 2021, 07:31:02 PM
Quote from: rankot

Where do you buy such a nice boxes? Also, is it necessary for attenuator to have metal box, or I can use wooden one? I presume I can, since all the speakers are unshielded.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

temol

Quote from: rankot on January 24, 2021, 09:26:16 AM
Where do you buy such a nice boxes? Also, is it necessary for attenuator to have metal box, or I can use wooden one? I presume I can, since all the speakers are unshielded.

I don't buy them. I design, build and paint them myself. All the jacks are isolated from the box. So I'm not sure if metal box is necessary here.

rankot

Amazing! I'd love to know how to make those boxes, they are actually the main problem here. :(
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

temol

I think I have some photos that I took while making one of the previous enclosures. I'll try to make a simple illustrated guide.

slashandburn

iainpunk got me hooked on tremolo a while back (cheers btw Iain!) and after playing with a few finally settled on Culturejam's Shoot the Moon and have been happy as a pig in shit ever since.

Fast forward a few months and I stumbled upon this great piece of art by Wes Talbott, who is not only incredibly talented but was kind enough to allow me to use his work for this:

Had to whittle it down from the four knob version to avoid obscuring too much of the art but I think it turned out pretty nice.

vigilante397

I'm not going to post everything I build because you would get sick of me really quick, but I still like to post every now and then so you know I'm still alive :P Here's a couple from this month's batch:

Particle Accelerator X - F-2B preamp with 12AX7 tube, UV print over raw enclosure w/ sparkly clear powdercoat
Dr. Wattson - HiWatt Dr103 preamp with 6N21B tubes, UV print over raw enclosure w/ clear powdercoat
Slampegg Bee Pre X - Ampeg B-15N preamp with 12AX7 (which I guess makes it closer to B-25?), UV print over raw enclosure w/ sparkly clear powdercoat

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

stallik

Really nice Nathan, you seem to have really got the measure of that UV printer. Are the inks lasting as well as you expected?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

vigilante397

Quote from: stallik on January 31, 2021, 02:44:55 AM
Really nice Nathan, you seem to have really got the measure of that UV printer. Are the inks lasting as well as you expected?

Thanks :) They absolutely are. They'll rub off when printed on a bare enclosure, which is why I do a clear powdercoat over these ones, but I can print them straight onto a powdercoat and they seem to bond with the powdercoat and come out really nice. Acetone won't even take them off.

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

11-90-an

Quote from: vigilante397 on January 31, 2021, 02:36:13 AM
I'm not going to post everything I build because you would get sick of me really quick,

Bah! We won't get annoyed (or me, at least) with your nice builds!  :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:
flip flop flip flop flip

vigilante397

Quote from: 11-90-an on January 31, 2021, 04:52:36 AM
Bah! We won't get annoyed (or me, at least) with your nice builds!  :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

You say that, but I build 40 boxes a month and there are only 6 or 7 different models, so looooooots of repeats :P
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

amptramp

I think you have found the magic solution for a paint replacement if acetone does not remove it.  The enclosures and artwork look excellent.

vigilante397

Quote from: amptramp on February 01, 2021, 04:20:10 PM
I think you have found the magic solution for a paint replacement if acetone does not remove it.  The enclosures and artwork look excellent.

Thanks :) I'm pretty clumsy and I got tired of my spraypainted finished chipping and flaking every time I dropped a pedal, so my switch to powdercoating was long overdue. Once you get the initial setup (gun, booth to spray in, curing oven - $80 or so if you go cheap and small) the powder itself is probably about the same price as a can of paint for how many boxes you can do and there are some really neat finishes out there that you can't really get with spraypaint.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

Toy Sun

Pretty new to DIY stomps (both the forum and the entire process) but this is about 70% of what I've done in my first year or so. Just throwing this photo up, I'll definitely get a more detailed post up with what these are and some of the decoration methods.

Marcos - Munky

Very awesome for a pretty new to stompboxes! Your boxes looks very cool. I'm interested on those faceplate-like finishes.

dfx_pedalpcbs

Nice builds, finally got around to making my smaller electric mistress

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"