News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustypinto

Quote from: daverdave on March 02, 2023, 03:15:31 AM
Straight forward shredmaster clone, nothing fancy. Went for simple graphics to suit my simple drawing skills  :P

I really like the simple graphics. How did you get a light color on the black enclosure?

I tried this once with a decal and pure yellow toner, but I could not get this result.
  • SUPPORTER

daverdave

Quote from: rustypinto on March 04, 2023, 09:51:09 AM

I really like the simple graphics. How did you get a light color on the black enclosure?

I tried this once with a decal and pure yellow toner, but I could not get this result.

It's actually UV printed, there's an identical white print under the yellow which has been printed twice to make the colour more pronounced. I'm tempted to try screen printing at some point but it looks like a lot more work!

deadastronaut

finished up 3 'X-FUZZ II's'

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Phend

Cool, can you lift the hood to show off the engine ?
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Phend

Deadastronaut, was wondering if you could show a picture of the inside of that new Fuzz
ie lift the hood.

Anyway,

That is a hard act to follow, here is one I completed this morning.
Laser cut acrylic, four pieces sandwiched together.
It's a SiGe pronounced Sig E.
Simple Muff Fuzz with Aron's Lava Rim 2 Drive 5k drive pot.
Q1 2N3904 Si
Q2 2N1304 Ge
D1 Led strip Si
D2 OAxx Ge
12 volts
Biased and fixed resistors R1T and R2T.

Click Watch on YouTube else it may not play

Add it to the collection  :icon_cool:

• SUPPORTER+

egisseur

First builds are done!! Also pretty happy with the enclosure results. Kept it quite simple but it's not a bad look :icon_mrgreen:

bluebunny

First builds??  Behave...

:)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

egisseur

Quote from: bluebunny on March 11, 2023, 06:24:47 AM
First builds??  Behave...

:)

Go big or go home  8) on the inside you can definately see the learning curve...

Phend

Like those laser etched wood labels.
Plus the rest of course.
  • SUPPORTER+

momo

Just a simple FS5 switch clone.
Used an old film projector part and a vintage slide switch....works great!

"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."

daverdave

BBD based multitap delay using 4 V3205s, needs some tweaks still and sounds pretty filthy, but I like it so far! The bandwidth of the V3205s seems much worse than it says on the datatsheet. I designed the circuit so I could swap the top board so I might try 4 MN3005s instead to see how much of a difference it makes.

ElectricDruid

I tried building a BBD tap tempo delay with V3205's and similarly had problems with noise and bandwidth. I wasn't using any companding though, so it was probably my own fault to at least some extent. I gave up on it in the end. To get out to "tappable" lengths of delay, you need at least 4 delay lines and noise is pretty much a given at that. 800msecs with a clock as low as 10KHz is just depressing!

Looks great though, so I hope you get it sorted. More headroom from MN3005's might hep a bit, and I don't know how Xvive clones compare to Coolaudios, but that'd be worth finding out. Most chip cloners just seem to recycle the original datasheets rather than do any actual testing, so I don't know that I trust the numbers on any of them much - Alfa excepted, their recent datasheets are clearly done from scratch.

daverdave

I'm using companding plus the usual 3kHz filters, but the v3205 outputs start to roll off around 1kHz, whereas the datasheet states 6kHz! It still sounds pretty good, but it definitely has that typical analogue delay sound. I built a DMM clone a while back with xvive 3005s so I might check the bandwidth and see. The MN3005 should be 10kHz if the datasheet can be trusted. The output at the 4th tap is definitely a bit fuzzier! The noise isn't so bad at all though.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: daverdave on March 20, 2023, 05:48:50 PM
The MN3005 should be 10kHz if the datasheet can be trusted.
That's impossible at the longest quoted delay. That implies at a minimum a 20KHz clock rate, and 30KHz is more like it.
It might be analogue, but it's still a sampling system and you can't escape the Nyquist limit.

bean

Quote from: daverdave on March 20, 2023, 04:49:33 PM
BBD based multitap delay using 4 V3205s, needs some tweaks still and sounds pretty filthy, but I like it so far! The bandwidth of the V3205s seems much worse than it says on the datatsheet. I designed the circuit so I could swap the top board so I might try 4 MN3005s instead to see how much of a difference it makes.

That's friggin awesome! Can you tell me about the illuminated switches you used?

You could modify the BBD PCB with just a few tweaks to accept v3205 or MN3005. You only need to use jumpers to change two or three different voltages and a small modification in values on the compander and it should work perfectly. It might save some hassle in having two different PCBs FWIW.

daverdave

Quote from: ElectricDruid on March 20, 2023, 07:24:31 PM
That's impossible at the longest quoted delay. That implies at a minimum a 20KHz clock rate, and 30KHz is more like it.
It might be analogue, but it's still a sampling system and you can't escape the Nyquist limit.

Yes, for the anti-aliasing filters, but the BBD input bandwidth itself should ideally be much higher than the nyquist frequency of the lowest sample rate. The MN3005 datasheet states 10 kHz when clocked at 40 kHz, the MN3007 states 12 with the same rate. I'd still have a 3 kHz cutoff but I'd like to improve on the 1 kHz bandwidth I'm getting from the V3205s, which should be 6 kHz. That 1 kHz is measured at the BBD output, not the filter output.

Quote from: bean on March 20, 2023, 07:57:09 PM
That's friggin awesome! Can you tell me about the illuminated switches you used?

You could modify the BBD PCB with just a few tweaks to accept v3205 or MN3005. You only need to use jumpers to change two or three different voltages and a small modification in values on the compander and it should work perfectly. It might save some hassle in having two different PCBs FWIW.

They're E-Switch LP4EE1PXC (X is the colour, R, B, G etc) and they cost more than I'd usually like to spend, but they do look nice. Mouser only had red and blue in stock, but I'm happy I went with those now!

I thought about doing a board that could use both, but I wanted to run the MN3005s at 15 V, and fitting the SMPS would have been a bit more work, so I left it as is for the 3205s. I think I'll have to change a few things anyway so I might do that for the next board.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: daverdave on March 21, 2023, 04:14:18 AM
Yes, for the anti-aliasing filters, but the BBD input bandwidth itself should ideally be much higher than the nyquist frequency of the lowest sample rate. The MN3005 datasheet states 10 kHz when clocked at 40 kHz, the MN3007 states 12 with the same rate. I'd still have a 3 kHz cutoff but I'd like to improve on the 1 kHz bandwidth I'm getting from the V3205s, which should be 6 kHz. That 1 kHz is measured at the BBD output, not the filter output.
Ok, I see, thanks. That does sound unusually poor. 3KHz isn't a lot to ask, after all!

amptramp

Just out of curiosity, what is the control voltage swing you are using for these delays?  If the voltage is too small, each stage in the bucket brigade will take longer to transfer its charge to the next stage.  Maybe higher voltages would extend the frequency response.

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'