News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADR

That has got to be one of the coolest looking stompboxes I've seen!

Nice work!!!  :icon_cool:

How did you do the graphics on it? It looks like silkscreen.

Quote from: jonasx26 on July 01, 2010, 08:18:55 PM

Sorry about the bad photos! / Jonas, Sweden

John Lyons

Summer fuzzies.

SPOOKY TOOTH

ZIPPY FUZZ

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

jonasx26

haha, thanks! great to hear positive feedback! (pun intended(?))
i bent the enclosure to shape from a piece of sheet aluminum, the black finish is not paint but some kind of vinyl selfadhesive film, similar to the stuff you wrap up schoolbooks in to protect them..

the graphics is regular paper. i used clearcoat to 'glue' it to the enclosure.
kind of a rough approach but it made it easier to align the graphics to the holes.
i then applied insane amounts of clearcoat over everything.

i'm really trying to make sense here, sorry about my crappy english.

all the best! / Jonas

Quote from: ADR on July 02, 2010, 10:42:43 PM
That has got to be one of the coolest looking stompboxes I've seen!

Nice work!!!  :icon_cool:

How did you do the graphics on it? It looks like silkscreen.

Quote from: jonasx26 on July 01, 2010, 08:18:55 PM

Sorry about the bad photos! / Jonas, Sweden

tubelectron

Hi BoxOfSnoo,

QuoteI'm interested in your "upside-down" board.  Are you using top-soldered vero or are you just using it like bare perfboard?  If top-mounted, then do you find an advantage?

I am not sure to understand what you mean by "top-soldered" vero, but the veroboard plate I use is standard. I just use it "reverse", that is to say I mount and sold the components on the same side : the copper side.

The advantage is that do not have to work "in the mirror" : the vero remains flat on the table, and I see all what I do. I reduce the risk of mistakes, the drop of components when soldering. But it may needs a little more precision in the work, and then it is probably slower, as you have to work point-to-point. Moreover, if you have made a mistake, or want to modify a value in fine, you can work directy in the stompbox, as the vero underneath is flat and double-face taped on the back of the pots...

A+!
I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

studiostud

Here's a new project I just finished for one of the guitarists in the band I'm in.  It's called the Crunchy Creme.

3 gain stage distortion = Fulltone OCD (crunch), TS-808 (creme), MXR Microamp (boost).

diode switch for TS-808 for switching between 4 different diode pairs. also has fat boost switch mod

volume knobs separate from gain and tone controls but matched with graphic color scheme. also includes dying battery simulator above.

aux hole for later use (was a hole I just didn't end up using so I labeled it to make it look a little more purposeful. 

IC buffer switch toggles between buffer and true bypass.

guts shot #1

guts shot #2

There were a lot of first for me on this project.  This isn't the first pedal I've done with multiple circuits in it, but it is the first one I've done with all the circuits designed onto one PCB with shared +9v and ground paths.  As it is probably obvious to most of you, this is also my first attempt at using a 2-part epoxy as a clear coat finish.  It was definitely a learning experience as it was quite a bear to work with.  It's definitely almost bulletproof, but I dunno if it's really worth the hassle and expense in the long run.  Plus, I don't have a good drying area and so I just covered it with a cardboard box and, as you can see in the 2nd photo, a brave but stupid little bug decided to check out the graphics and got stuck.  It was too late to get him out when I found it in the morning.  I still have 6-7 pedals worth of the stuff so I'll give it another couple go's and see what happens after doing it a few times.  Lastly, this was my first pedal to use the dying battery simulator and it worked out really well.  This is a really easy way to get a huge range of tonal colors from fuzz and overdrive circuits.  I'm going to be incorporating this into many of my future builds I'm sure.  The way I did it was cool cause I ran the main power jack right to the DBS pot and then to the PCB and switch LEDs.  I didn't mind the fact that all the circuits are affected by it since they are all high gain circuits and a bonus benefit was that when you lower the voltage, the LEDs get dimmer. 

In case you were wondering, there are three millennium bypass circuits on the PCB.  I was originally going to use those with DPDT switches, but wasn't able to get them to work and just opted to use 3PDTs instead to save hassle and brain stress. 
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

Taylor

Very, very nice.

You can think of the bug in a paleontological perspective, like a mosquito stuck in amber. One day your pedal will be an ancient artifact and that little bug will be used to clone the dinosaurs of the 2000's (co.cker spaniels?). So really what you've done there is preserve future history.

But anyway, that unit is nice inside and out.

luko-man

^ I love that anaylasis. may kudos for Taylor and that pedal :)
cant think of anything funny to put here

adf

Quote from: studiostud on July 03, 2010, 09:30:58 PM
Here's a new project I just finished for one of the guitarists in the band I'm in.  It's called the Crunchy Creme.

3 gain stage distortion = Fulltone OCD (crunch), TS-808 (creme), MXR Microamp (boost).

Looks good! - I like the marble/granite look. Epoxy was def well worth it too. It's on my list of things to try...
Also like the dying battery pot for fuzzes. - I used one on a Jordan Bosstone, works well, lots of strange but useful tones.

Magnus

Hello together,
really awesome pedals again, especially the Moog-Style-Pedal, the Fuzzy-Pedals from John,
the beautyfull etched enclosure from Slade and the Crunchy Cream (extreme Guts - WOW!)...
The other ones are also very nice, I like them all!

Greetings
Magnus
AMZ Booster, Dist. +, DOD 250,
Dr. Boogey, Fuzz Face's, JCM800-Emu, LPB1,
May Booster, Obsidian, Orange T/B-Booster,
Pentaboost, Prof. Tweed, Rangemaster's,
SansAmp GT2, Superfly (Amp), Guv'nor,
Tone Bender MKI/MKII/MKIII, TS 808

trad3mark

omfg. Nearly nearly finished my 666 entry. URGH i want to show it off so bad!!!

igerup

Here's my three first pedal builds. All built this week.  :o

First one, Green Ringer. Lots of shrinkt-tubing in there but I felt it was necessary due to the small box-size.

Here's a pic of it completed:

Number two is  the LPB-1, this is from the final testing:

Woohoo, it worked! Just like that, no debugging necessary.

And in a smallish box before shortening the wires:

And finally, the third pedal; a Big Muff:

I haven't decided on what nobs to use. The two extra switches are for toggling between different diodes.
It's really loud as hell, next up is a compressor.

JKowalski

Quote from: igerup on July 04, 2010, 01:33:42 PM

THAT is what I would call point-to-point wiring.  

I assume that the big muff was made differently.... RIGHT? If you say no then my brain may well explode. :icon_lol:

fuzzo

Quote from: John Lyons on July 03, 2010, 12:21:49 AM
Summer fuzzies.

SPOOKY TOOTH

What is that ?

a personal circuit ? 

John Lyons

Quote from: fuzzo on July 04, 2010, 03:16:52 PM
Quote from: John Lyons on July 03, 2010, 12:21:49 AM

SPOOKY TOOTH

What is that ?
a personal circuit ? 

Yes, it's a circuit I came up with and sell.
Here's a video of what it sounds like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7YHTiTdwDs
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

igerup

Quote from: JKowalski on July 04, 2010, 03:10:22 PM

THAT is what I would call point-to-point wiring.  

I assume that the big muff was made differently.... RIGHT? If you say no then my brain may well explode. :icon_lol:

Nope, that one is point to point as well. :icon_lol: Pics of the internals coming tomorrow; I need to replace one of the bottom screws with a longer one (threads in plastic boxes have a tendency to vanish for some reason) so I'll take a pic or two at the same time.

Oh, who am I kidding? Couldn't resist the temptation so here's a few pics of the Big Muff guts.

bean

John, your building AND photography chops are so perfect I wanna barf. Do you get these shots with natural light? Maybe I'm just to used to ghetto digital cameras!

John Lyons

Do you get these shots with natural light?
Maybe I'm just to used to ghetto digital cameras!

I have a Cannon Digital rebel. V1.
But you can get by with much less.
All my pics above are natural light.
It's all about learning to use what you have.
I adjust some light via photoshop if needed.
Mostly for white balance though.
I have spent a lot of time fooling with
photography. Practice makes perfect. Or in my case
good enough.
One thing I almost always use is a light
difuser (homemade naturally). Just some tissue
paper and a cardboard frame. This makes the light
more diffuse/ softer.
Thanks for the kind words.
If barfing is a good thing.  ;D
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

jkokura

New one! It's been a long time since I've even been on the site... Life has been very tumultuous to say the least.

Today, I finally finished up something I've been working on a long time. It was perhaps one of the most frustrating builds, but it's done and it fired up and worked first try!

I present... (dun dun duhhh) The Aristocrat! You can check out the project at http://madbeanpedals.com/projects/index.html

And the Guts

Thanks for looking! I hope I'm around more these days. Now I have to go and look through the backlog of stuff I've missed that's happened around here...

jacob

elfito

my Tim Escobedo T.M.K

with a RAD look  ;D

Taylor

That is a rad look, good sir. If you get any hum make sure you pull the opamp out of its socket and blow on it.