DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~arph

Roobin

Did you save it? What I find it does sometimes is slow down after a while. So save! Then close the program. Then re open it and ope your file, and it should be running much faster (unless you've got like a gazzilion components on there).

~arph

Yes I have found that too, after doing a reasonably large layout the app slows down and can't handle your commands properly anymore. If you delete a component it deletes an arbitrary component. After that it will keep throwing errors at you and you can't save anymore. So saving often and restarting the app might help (even though if your layout is that big, restarting won't help either) . That's why we need the source so we can develop the next version quickly!  ;D

guilds100

Has anyone run into issues with the check continuity feature of DIY creator? It seems I was getting an error when I check for continuity. I reinstalled the program and tried a new layout with 1 resistor and it worked. Then I tryed to add a couple components and it started saying there were items in the chain that arent even there, R10, J1, C3 with only 2 resistors on the layout. It still errors on layouts i made before the reinstallation. Any advice?

Im running windows XP

frank_p

I don't know why I did not try this software before.
WOW ! 
EXTRAORDINARY WORK !
:icon_eek:

lontano

Renegadrian

Quote from: bancika on June 12, 2008, 04:41:43 AM
do you have java 1.5 installed?

I had, but I had to configure it as default
sudo update-alternatives --config java

Now it runs. Maybe it's only a first impression, but for now let me tell you I prefer the older version...Dont like that one, I know it's a beta but it looks "simpler" and worse than the other version I use on Win2k.
Or maybe it's just how it looks on Linux...
I used the beta you posted 3-4 pages before.

I look forward to use a definitive version.
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

bancika

Hi guys!
I'm back from the vacation (Greece) and have some news for ya. I had time to think about this app and I will probably have to write it down from scratch again. This was my first java app ever, in the meantime I learned a lot about java so I'm sure I'll write it better this time. Also, I'll have to change component engine once more. Unfortunately, this means you won't be able to open files made with this beta, but there are many advantages of this approach:

• component files will be java source files so it will be easier for others to write them
  • it should be faster than beta version
  • memory leaks will be solved
  • code will be cleaner so once I share it, it's gonna be easier for people to contribute

Thanks for understanding, I hope you won't hate me (or the app) for constant changing, but it's all for good cause :)

Cheers,
Bane
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

~arph

Sounds good!

The current beta version for me was indeed just a beta, for getting a feel of the new thing, but not usable for actual layout creating.
I'd just like to let you know that I'm still here to support you and/or speed up developement if needed. So feel free to ask me questions or bug me with bugs I'll  be happy to help out. I have about 10 years of java ( plus swing ) experience so there is not much I can't solve.

Regards,

Arnoud

bancika

Cool, thanks ;)

I'll explain what I'm trying to do here. Instead of interpreting XML files for components, which is slow and not very flexible (limited only to XML tags I defined), I plan to make every component inherit a base abstract component class. Components would be compiled in the runtime which eliminates need for parsing math expressions like it does now. It will also allow drawing anything that java can draw, not only stuff I made. Unfortunately, this will require JRE 1.6 to work, but I don't think that should be a problem. I'm in a rush these days (coming to USA again this weekend) but I plan to start working on it in a week or so. I'll contact you to discuss some ideas and maybe you can give me your feedback.

Cheers,
Bane

SirElwood

Nice to hear there is a progress! :)

To me, this beta has been really good tool. Well, it's slow, takes all available memory and so on, but I'm not in a hurry. And this program works in mac for free (there are alot less free programs for mac than windows)!

bancika, keep up the good work!

And if this will be an open source, maybe I can translate it to finnish? Will it be possible? Would be kinda cool.

bancika

I never use localized software so I never think in that direction. Is there any java library that makes localization easier?
Cheers

~arph

~arph

I'll set that up by the time..

the classes idea is a good one.. just drop in a jar library and the app will find the classes (as long as they are in a specified package)

Renegadrian

I'd like to see a v.2 closer to the v.1 appearance...I like it better...
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Barcode80

Quote from: Renegadrian on July 28, 2008, 06:25:46 PM
I'd like to see a v.2 closer to the v.1 appearance...I like it better...
i am actually cool with the appearance, but it doesn't seem to have the usability the old one does. however, i think that is just remedied by some development time. looking forward to the rewrite bancika!

bancika

Quote from: ~arph on July 28, 2008, 03:46:32 PM
the classes idea is a good one.. just drop in a jar library and the app will find the classes (as long as they are in a specified package)

thanks!
Actually, I plan to leave component files as uncompiled .java files and compile them at startup for usage. That will allow user modifications if needed and can serve as a reference for developers. If compilation takes too long (for more than 50 files) I'll switch to .class files instead.
Cheers

~arph

I feel packaged classes are the way to go. If you have the source publicly available a user that would like to modify it, can grab the source and build/modify on that. (extend existing components or build new ones from interfaces).  If a user knows Java it also knows how to compile it and make a jar. This will remove the need for run time compiling and makes it easier to do updates or extension libraries as they are just one file. (oh and checkout the substance look and feel)

bancika

Good point, I could make it scan "components" folder for jars and load them all at startup. That way users can add their component packs...What do you think?
Cheers

~arph