DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perrow

While I remember (on the phone), a keyboard shortcut to a color picker type tool, that can pick the type of component to create. I.e. I'm moving stuff around and want to add a resistor, I press space and click a resistor and I'm in creation mode creating a copy of the selected resistor.

And another one for fast(er) value entry, with a component selected, just start typing the value (0-9 keys), optional page up down to change the range part (R, k, m or pf, nf, uf or similar).
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

bancika

Can someone with Mac give the new version a test drive? It should perform faster but more importantly, it shouldn't crash after 3min, at least I hope so.

Here's the link http://diy-layout-creator.googlecode.com/files/diylc-3.10.0-beta.zip

Besides performance/reliability update, there are some usability improvements

[New Feature] Move selected components with arrow keys (and ctrl/shift)
[Improvement] Right-click in the toolbar to select all components of the same type
[Improvement] Click on a component in the toolbar sometimes doesn't register
[Improvement] Remove junk from BOM (eyelets, wires, traces)
[Improvement] Improved "Recently Used" toolbox, doesn't jump as you click
[Improvement] Control number of "Recently Used" items from config.properties
[Improvement] Faster component placement, auto-focus on "Value" box
[Improvement] Transistors can show name or value
[Improvement] UNICODE font export to PDF files
[Improvement] More intuitive unsaved file warning message

Thanks
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

fluke

Quote from: bancika on August 20, 2012, 09:55:56 AM
Can someone with Mac give the new version a test drive? It should perform faster but more importantly, it shouldn't crash after 3min, at least I hope so.

Here's the link http://diy-layout-creator.googlecode.com/files/diylc-3.10.0-beta.zip

I gave it a brief try on my Mac Mini (Mac OS X 10.6.8, Java 1.6.0_33) and it didn't crash.

You're missing this line from the top of run.sh:

#!/bin/sh

Other than that, it's looking great.

Is is possible to add the ability to use an image as the board?  The existing images float above the components.  It would be awesome when heavily modifying a kit if i could just stick the PCB on the scanner then load it into DIYLC to re-layout the components.

bancika

Hmm, I tried it on mac mini and run.sh worked. How do you start it? I used terminal and typed ./run.sh

As for the images, yes, I plan to do that, I found it annoying too.

Perrow

Quote from: bancika on August 21, 2012, 04:18:36 AM
Hmm, I tried it on mac mini and run.sh worked. How do you start it? I used terminal and typed ./run.sh

As for the images, yes, I plan to do that, I found it annoying too.

When I briefly had the development environment (sort of) running I managed to modify the existing image class to be drawn on another "layer". I don't know if you could modify it so that the layer could be an attribute that the user could change at will. That would be perfect, then you can use images as everything from enclosures to components.

Does the image object support transparent (gif/png) images? That would be awesome.

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

bancika

I think it does support transparency. As for layers, I'll make layers more flexible than now, so you can move the image below or above components

fluke

Quote from: bancika on August 21, 2012, 04:18:36 AM

That does  work, but technically a shell script is supposed to start with #! and then the name of the interpreter (usually /bin/sh).  As is, run.sh works on Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) too.

bancika

artifus

no longer beta! now with ground fill! multi layer pcb! various other bug fixes and improvements! thank you bancika!  :)

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Perrow

I like the pace things are moving at right now. I'm getting mails every day about bugs I've reported that's gotten fixed :) I know I've reported a lot of things but others have too and I'm guessing it's not only mine that gets done, so the pace of progress is more than likely even higher than what I'm seeing. Way to go Bancika.

madias

Little howto for osx user (start commando):
rename run.sh to run.command
open with text editor run.command, clean it and fill in those lines:

#!/bin/bash
cd "/Users/madias/Desktop/diylc-3.15.0/"
java -Xms512m -Xmx2048m -Dorg.diylc.scriptRun=true -cp diylc.jar:lib org.diylc.DIYLCStarter

where "/User/madias/Desktop/...." is the folder string of your diylc folder.
now you can start the program with double click "run.command"

@bancika:
in your update log you implement the "templates" for components, but HOW we can make templates and WHERE is the config.properties file to get the checkboxes back?

Thank you

Matthias

madias

ok, found it out under windows:
you can create templates with the right mouse button!
BUT: under osx the "right mouse button" doesn´t work, so there is no menu for "templates"
java log:

23:34:01,964 DEBUG [AWT-EventQueue-0] Presenter - mouseClicked(java.awt.Point[x=1026,y=816], 1, false, false, false)
23:34:03,533 DEBUG [AWT-EventQueue-0] Presenter - mouseClicked(java.awt.Point[x=1040,y=823], 3, false, false, false)

so on osx the left mouse button is "1" and the right mouse button is "3" BUT i tried it out with a 3 button mouse, where button "3" is shown as:
23:34:03,533 DEBUG [AWT-EventQueue-0] Presenter - mouseClicked(java.awt.Point[x=1040,y=823], 2, false, false, false)

but NO secondary mouse menu...., so please add the "templates" in the "edit" menu on the top bar...

thank you
matthias

artifus

with previous versions it was possible to associate diylc project files with the program by right clicking, selecting open with..., navigating to and selecting diylc so that you could open the program by double clicking a project file. just tried this with 3.15 and it has associated to adobe reader. any ideas anyone? win7 64 latest java.

bancika

just run associations.bat and it will do everything you need

re: config.properties, just create a file with one line

org.diylc.swing.gui.editor.PropertyEditorDialog.SHOW_DEFAULT_BOXES=true

artifus

Quote from: bancika on September 03, 2012, 04:34:52 AM

no joy. stuck with adobe. is some registry voodoo required?

Perrow

Quote from: artifus on September 03, 2012, 04:49:44 AM
Quote from: bancika on September 03, 2012, 04:34:52 AM

no joy. stuck with adobe. is some registry voodoo required?

Right click, select "Open with...", tick "Always use this program...", should do it.

artifus

no it does not. regedit doesn't help nor any other windows options either. uninstalled adobe reader. association gone. had a clean up, downloaded and reinstalled adobe reader. diylc files are associated with adobe reader again automagically.

???

*edit* i do have a recent restore point to return to, just confused about this behaviour as i've not experienced anything like it before and thought others should be alerted.

*ok* had another go - this time i right clicked and open with.../always use...'ed  to notepad which got rid of the pdf reader association and was then able to associate to diylc via the same right click method. oddness.

Quote from: bancika on September 03, 2012, 04:34:52 AMre: config.properties, just create a file with one line

org.diylc.swing.gui.editor.PropertyEditorDialog.SHOW_DEFAULT_BOXES=true

no joy here. also, theme, recently used and templates are not retained.

bancika

did you name the file exactly config.properties and put it next to diylc.jar? Can you post the latest log file from logs dir?

deafbutpicky

Hi Bancika,

I tried the new version and the BOM works fine now, but I can't create templates either (running on Ubuntu).
Another small bug I noticed is with the alpha of some capacitors (film, ceramic or electrolytic) wich seems
to be around 20% on some of them at loading a project. When I check the values it shows 100%. Setting it back
a click makes them full visible, but when dragging the slider back to full right position they're transparent again.