Show me your 1590A enclosures/pedals...

Started by andrew_k, January 29, 2008, 09:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rankot

Quote from: stallik on February 29, 2020, 05:18:12 PM
SHO no crackle, trim adjusts for clean or gritty boost in the normal way.

Do I understand this well - you use the multiturn trim instead of a regular pot for source resistor, and no DC cracking? Interesting.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

mtk

The Ripley II - Bazz Fuss with a pulsating LED. This was my 3rd ever pedal.

Clip of the LED pulse. https://i.imgur.com/Y1pq99R.mp4

Pacman - Shoe Pixel - This is the most stuff I've been able to cram into a 1590A so far.

Lean on me.

bluebunny

Quote from: mtk on March 01, 2020, 09:23:49 AM
This was my 3rd ever pedal.

If you're gonna shame us with such wonders after only a few attempts, what are the rest of us mere mortals supposed to do??  ???

Nice builds.  ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

stallik

Quote from: rankot on March 01, 2020, 09:06:38 AM

Do I understand this well - you use the multiturn trim instead of a regular pot for source resistor, and no DC cracking? Interesting.
Yes. The trim pot still crackles but not too much probably because the adjustment is so slow. There's no crackle from the new volume pot which is effectively hanging off the output, draining to ground.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

mtk

Quote from: bluebunny on March 01, 2020, 09:55:33 AM
Quote from: mtk on March 01, 2020, 09:23:49 AM
This was my 3rd ever pedal.

If you're gonna shame us with such wonders after only a few attempts, what are the rest of us mere mortals supposed to do??  ???

Nice builds.  ;)

Ha! I'm just reliving the glory days. Like Al Bundy, I peaked early.

EBK

Quote from: bluebunny on March 01, 2020, 06:57:20 AM
Extra points for the trim adjustment hole.
And for labeling it "Screw".   :icon_lol:
(At least that is what I see when I squint through the pixels.)

Is there writing on the lower edge of the left side of the box?  I think we need a higher resolution pic, Kevin.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

stallik

Here's an SVG file of the graphic I used. You should be able to zoom right in. Text is printed using white ink on clear vinyl, the red line is a cut path. The whole thing wraps round the top of the enclosure. It was a mistake to make the little circles for the corners of the box. It would have been better to leave them square. I'm intending to make such templates for different size boxes and share them here
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

rankot

EQD Bellows, made for 1590A. Works like a charm! Still need to box it, but I suppose it wouldn't be a problem.

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

stallik

Been playing with a JAN 6946 (6112WA) in a Valvecaster and it sounds as good as any valvy I've built but is completely hiss free even at full tilt. Love the look of these tiny tubes so looking to shove it into a 1590A. Anyone done that yet? looking for design ideas...

vigilante397

Quote from: stallik on March 31, 2020, 09:57:17 AM
Been playing with a JAN 6946 (6112WA) in a Valvecaster and it sounds as good as any valvy I've built but is completely hiss free even at full tilt. Love the look of these tiny tubes so looking to shove it into a 1590A. Anyone done that yet? looking for design ideas...

I haven't done it myself, but I seem to recall someone having done it, and I fully support you doing it 8)

EDIT: Found this picture from this thread over 5 years ago. If he can make it work with a full-size tube I have full confidence it can be easily done with a submini ;)

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

stallik

Been checking it out and I think I can fit a twin caster in there  :icon_twisted:

davent

I may be crazy, or just old... i recall people doing amps with output transformers in very small enclosures. Perhaps not on this site.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

vigilante397

Quote from: davent on March 31, 2020, 07:36:40 PM
I may be crazy, or just old... i recall people doing amps with an output transformers in very small enclosures. Perhaps not on this site.

I think it was on here, I remember seeing someone do a 1W submini amp with transformer in a 1590A. I want to say it was Perrow, but I'm not positive.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

bluebunny

You might be right, Nathan.  I think it may have been one of Rick's (Superfly or Murder One), which he'd originally put in a 1590B.
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

I've seen some submini 1590a builds with the tubes and/or trannys on the outside but I want everything inside..

Marcos - Munky

I did both a valvecaster with a full sized tube and a rick's superfly:

There are others that made other amps in a 1590a, like Perrow and Thomas.

If you want everything inside (which is probably the best idea for a stompbox), a submini valvecaster could be easily done if you put the pots on one side of the box and the tube on the other side, something like this:

I'd cut some slots or drill some holes on the box to show the tube and for ventilation purposes. Those little things gets very hot, and inside a small closed box that may be an issue with parts around it. That's why I'd stick with a single tube inside a 1590a.

bluebunny

A fully-internal submini valvecaster looks like a great idea, Marcos (I may have to try it).  But for the crazy people (i.e. Kevin) it doesn't involve an OT.  :icon_twisted:  Nice builds, btw!
  • SUPPORTER

Marcos - Munky

Thanks, Marc!

I can't try a fully-internal submini valvecaster because I'm out of 1590A and 3PDT, but I'm sure it's doable. You can do a main poard that fits on the back of the pots and is connected by wires to a secondary board that holds the tube. Or probably can do everything in one board. For my fully sized build, I had to use a dual layer board because of the tube pinout, but submini pinout is different, it may be possible with a single layer board.

rankot

Quote from: rankot on March 25, 2020, 09:21:58 AM
EQD Bellows, made for 1590A. Works like a charm! Still need to box it, but I suppose it wouldn't be a problem.

Finally put it into the enclosure, but it seems to be a little bit noisy. Not sure if it's a wiring problem, or I f*ck*d up something else, but now I'm to tired to fix it, it will have to wait till Saturday.

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

rankot

OK, I admit, I'm sometimes stupid! I forgot to solder ground from the PCB to the input jacks, and this thing worked somehow, but was very noisy! Now when another wire is in place (the brown one going from PCB to the jack), everything's fine, no noise at all, just pure DISTORTION! Love it!

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!