Show me your 1590A enclosures/pedals...

Started by andrew_k, January 29, 2008, 09:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Perrow

Quote from: peterg on May 29, 2015, 09:41:50 AM
lars-musik - the first thing i thought when I saw your tremo was "awesome paint job"

+1 indeed. Impressive build.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

lars-musik

Wow, I even got awarded an "insane" for that one. That means a lot, thanks!
I just posted the layout here for everyone who's in need of a little insanity.

italianguy63

OK.  I finally waded into the 1590A kiddie-pool.  I did my 1st actual 1590A build!

It is a AMZ Mosfet Boost, with light-up clear pot....

And a gut shot--  It looks like there is a lot of room there, but there isn't.  The case barely closes.  Shorter electro's next time would make it way easier...

And lit up in all it's glory!

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

bluebunny

Quote from: italianguy63 on May 30, 2015, 03:58:23 AM

Very nice, Mark.  If you don't have those subminiature electros to hand, looks like you have room to lay them down.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

italianguy63

Quote from: bluebunny on May 30, 2015, 06:00:21 AM
Quote from: italianguy63 on May 30, 2015, 03:58:23 AM

Very nice, Mark.  If you don't have those subminiature electros to hand, looks like you have room to lay them down.

Thank Marc.  I populated the board a long time ago.  I was going to put it in a Wah enclosure... but, had a stroke of inspiration to try a 1590A.  I was too lazy to unsolder them... they barely squeezed in.  If I populated that PCB more "flat" it would have been easier...  Turned out nice though.

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

duck_arse

very nice, itg (he says, pretending he's seen all the pictures). push yourself a like.

still no extractors?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

tca

Quote from: thomasha on April 13, 2015, 11:01:18 PM
Hi,
finished a small ECL84/PCL84 amplifier in one of these boxes. This one uses a PCL, with 15V heaters.
It uses the Max1771 SMPS, and giver around half watt.
Made a vintage etch on both sides.
(...)
Cheers,
Thomas
Lovely little amp!

What's the output transformer?
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

mfunky

Sometimes, you just want something hassle-free in front of a simple amp: This is an AMZ Mini Buffer in a 1590a with battery. Given, that the whole box runs on 1,3 mA (incl. LED this will probably run for days without switching it off...), I did not want to skip the battery option.

The layout has input and output horizontally aligned; I think that it can be used as a generic platform for other projects with one - maybe also two - pots as well - anything with a perf/pcb with up to 3cm lenght and 9 stips height will work, if you solder high components (e.g. big elcos) flat on the board. Therefore, I include the drill template as well.

I will probably add an etch later on (or on the next one - plan to build 2 or 3 as a gift...)

Test Run:

Wired up:

Top View:

Drill Template

peterg

mfunky - you are psychotic! That is a fantastic build!

mfunky

Thanks! BTW: any suggestions for small projects for this platform welcome... I have started a new thread for this: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=111341.0

Groovenut

Here's another Taiseidou reverb I just finished. This one has a new version of the BTDR-3H that I modified to fit (the first version fit just fine but the manufacturer has made the outcase larger)
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

Cozybuilder

Lawrence- you do some incredible builds, very impressive.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

mfunky

What did you have to do to make the brick fit?

midwayfair

My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

mfunky

Yeah, I guess so. With a little more of that,  could you add a battery to the reverb?

Groovenut

Quote from: Cozybuilder on June 25, 2015, 02:11:49 AM
Lawrence- you do some incredible builds, very impressive.
Thanks Russ! Greatly appreciated!

Quote from: mfunky on June 25, 2015, 03:27:59 AM
The original version of the BTDR-3H (hard plastic case) were 38x28x11mm and fit my original design like a glove, no modification to the brick necessary, room to spare. The new version is 38x32x11mm, making it almost 1/8" wider than the original version

The modification involved removing the outcase material from the side opposite the pins. I removed just enough to see the internal pcb and this was enough to fit my design. The new outcase material is soft and cuts pretty easily.

Here's what the original version looks like installed

I did have to modify the enclosure lid a little too

Quote from: midwayfair on June 25, 2015, 09:04:35 AM
Quote from: mfunky on June 25, 2015, 03:27:59 AM

Divine intervention.
All the praying happened during the pcb layout phase..... well, until I received the new bricks... but that was mainly swearing...
At $15-$20 per brick, it isn't worth having to modify them to fit. I'll be buying up all the original version BTDR-3s I can find :)
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

davent

I'm the water, why not just use a 'b', sacrilege?
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Cozybuilder

It must be because theres too much case prep to make a wedgie!  :icon_twisted:
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.