Barber Electronics says happy holidays with a circuit!

Started by David Barber, December 18, 2008, 08:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWBH

Xavier

Just posted a perf layout for this circuit in my gallery, thank you David !!!!!

AL

RickL

QuoteJust posted a perf layout for this circuit in my gallery, thank you David !!!!!

I believe I've found a couple of minor errors on your layout. According to the schematic C5 (cap from 4.5V to ground) should be 47uF not 4.7uF. Junction of R4 (470R) and R3 (13.3k) should connect to 4.5V

Paul Marossy

Cool, nice of Mr. Barber to stop by and contribute something here.  :icon_razz:

I have a friend named Steve who uses the Barber Burn Unit. He really digs it a lot.  :icon_cool:

Evad Nomenclature

awesome dave.
I guess I know what to work on now =D
thanks!
Evad Nomenclature III
Master of Dolphin Technologies

signalpaths

drewl

A very nice gesture, and I hope the good Karma comes round to bring you happiness and success.
Any schmuck could slap together pedals and try to market them, but kudos to all those who take pride in their work and are willing to help out others in these fun activities.

Edit: so, I think I'll build this nice gift from Mr. Barber as a gift to myself.
What does it sound like so I know what to expect?
Thanks.

Ben N

• SUPPORTER

George Giblet

A very generous gesture from Mr Barber! 
You don't see many (any) pedal guys doing that do you!

Happy New Year!

WGTP

The more I study this design, the more impressed I am.  There are several design features I haven't seen before around here.  The EQ from the Presence and RIAA section, along with the tone control should provide a multitude of variations. 

Dave definitely should not be lumped in with boutique-rs that just copy existing designs without any innovation of there own. 

Although I probably won't build this, as with other schematics posted here from big time pedal builders, I appreciate the educational opportunity (secrets) that Dave has provided.  Thanks again and I hope your generosity is returned many times in the coming year.   :icon_cool: 
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Ben N

To be fair, Dave has pretty much openly announced the RIAA post-eq thing right here a long time ago. He left it to us to find our own ways to implement. Since then I have seen exactly one attempt to do so, so now it has been spelled out.
  • SUPPORTER

mikemaddux

This is great, the small fry is a great unit. 

Im hoping I can get through this in the next month.
Completed Builds: A lot...

Ben N

Thought someone interested in this circuit would also be interested in Dave's suggestions for mods, from a previous thread.
  • SUPPORTER

jimma

Just want to say thanks to Mr. Barber! My old 4-knob Burn Unit is one pedal I'll never sell, BTW and FWIW.

Xavier

Barber pedals are my favourite dirt boxes. They sound awesome, build quality is top notch, and they are rock solid.

And, their pricing................well I don't want to start yet another price / features discussion, but frankly speaking some pedal makers out there should be seriously ashamed to charge what they charge for what they offer. Having seen myself an average quality TS clone for almost 300 USD done with perfoard and sloppy wiring, opening any Barber pedal makes you wonder why isn't everybody using a Direct Drive or LTD.

And still you can have an extra board with many more tone shaping options, even a buffer............. a Silver LTD for 99 USD is a steal, for God's sake, that's 73 euro !!!! which boutique pedal costs this? NONE !!! any other TS clone we can buy in Europe is minimum 100 euro.........

So, end of the rant  :icon_rolleyes:.

Barber rules !!!

Zen

Wow.  Glad I stumbled by this.  It is now #2 on my "to build" list.

Very cool.

mattpas

Does anyone know where to get a JRC072 or will a NJM072BD work just as good?

slacker

Check out the other thread http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=73269.0 sounds like pretty much anything will sound good.

I might be wrong but isn't a JRC072 just another name for the good old TL072 anyway?

cpnyc23

It is the same chip although I believe it has slightly better specs (slew rate).  I could be wrong though... 

-chris
"I've traveled the world and never seen a statue of a critic."    -  Leonard Bernstein