mid-fi clai(not) schematic!

Started by doug deeper, February 16, 2009, 02:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Heisenberg

why would I think you used a freakin IC when you made this thing so simple in the first place...
"Your meth is good, Jesse. As good as mine."

El Heisenberg

Built the pedal in about 5 hours. Used rick holts first perf layout.

I already have echo base so didnt wanna try the cubed version.

Only thing i changed is added the jfet to do clean. It worked perfect. I used a 10k instead of 15k to the PT2399 input cos 15k gave too much volume drop. Then i added switch to toggle in fuzz mode with the .01 and 100k.

The clean version works great except that with the blend at 50% the volume is dropped even with the volume maxed.

Awesome pedal

I fit it in a 1590B and used a super brite yellow LED and a radioshack LDR.

El Heisenberg

Eh i kinda wish id built the pitch pirate instead. Didnt even think about clari cubed since it just seems like an inferior (no offense!) pitch pirate with more parts.

I guess now ill have both pitch pirate and clarinot. But honestly this effect is cool but nowhere near musical.

EDIT: after some time with the mary j the pedal is real fun to play with. I guess it was worth while even if it is a toy

Skruffyhound

Details of the pitch pirate weren't know when the Clari cubed was developed, it's kind of what outed the pitch pirate AFAIK

El Heisenberg

Ey should i place a buffer before the volume control? It gets quiet when both signals are blended.

??

Edit: i just put an LPB after the volume control to bring up the volume. As a bonus it got rid of a problem i had that there was alot of noise when the delay time was set long in clean mode. Now its only as noisy as it was in fuzz mode.

So yea the new clean clarinot is awesome!!

trat rödenback

ooohh.... this is all so exciting. i was thinking about doing an mn3007 version of an envelope modulated vibrato. but with the pt2399 it's so much simpler. thanks so much to doug!!!

tomfoy

I like what you did with the depth and delay controls.

trat rödenback

Doug I love you :) thanks for the hint with the buffer. Makes perfect sense. I suppose it should look something like this:

I breadboarded the whole thing and it works like charme - allthough i dont have the right pot values at hand. thats the only annoying thing.

trat rödenback

Hello!

I made a perf-layout with the buffer (clean clari(not)). It's a bit tight - sorry.
The only thing not on the board is the 100n output cap and the delay pot. Both can be directly wired. Allthough there would be enough space for the cap...
except for the filtering caps (c10 & c11) i used electros and ceramics - on the breadboard that is.
Does anyone care to take a look at it? Should be right though...
PCB layout with mounted pots comming soon.

A question: If I want the pitch changes to be a bit smoother (slower), would it be enough to cut the high frequencies off of the 386 fuzz? Would that be with a cap to ground on the 386 output?

El Heisenberg

doug deeper

Don't forget the 1m Resistor to ground on the input!

trat rödenback

I just built the the perfboard version and it works fine - without the 1M resistor to ground.  i'm fairly new to electronics... would that be a pulldown resistor?
You might wanna rearrange some parts, depending on how big your electros are.

dam28

So, after some tinkering I got this bad boy to work. Now I have a mod question! Is it possible to do some feedback? I.e. feed the output back into the input? I've had a quick go and it works, however, the blend pot stops working because I guess the dry is mixed with the wet and so and so on. Any ideas how to get a nice clean input mixed to the crazy feedback effect? Cheers!

runmikeyrun

I haven't built this and I don't really understand most of the theory, but I don't see why you couldn't do a feedback loop... maybe put a pot in it so you can adjust it?  Stuff like this can get pretty insane with a feedback loop.  You could even just clip a lead in between the output and input just to try it really quick.  Be prepared for a super loud output though!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

louisquinn

hey everyone.. this will probably be a pretty vague question
i've built a stock clari using a modified frequency central's layout but as usual i plug it in and nothing happens..
ive checked and re checked the layout, my soldering etc...
is there anything i could be missing? does anyone have any basic error checking tips?

heres the layout
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh627/louisquinn/render.gif

some gut shots
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh627/louisquinn/Photoon2012-05-21at2342.jpg
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh627/louisquinn/Photoon2012-05-21at23432.jpg

anchovie

Quote from: louisquinn on May 21, 2012, 09:48:10 AM
does anyone have any basic error checking tips?

There's a clue in the name of the "DEBUGGING - What to do when it doesn't work" sticky thread.  :icon_surprised:
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

Colonel Angus

Did you test it before doing the full wiring harness? Does it pass audio in Bypass?

DMM and an audio probe is the next step. Also having a paper copy of the schemo is very helpful. DMM= is the power getting to where it needs to be? Audio Probe = How far does your input signal go. Also check your soldering again for bridges and cold joints, from the look of the pics cold joints are probably not an issue, but I have had a lot of solder bridges working on perf.

Also, yes the sticky Debug thread is pretty useful.
Quote from: frequencycentral on June 16, 2012, 12:59:15 PM
Why should you not have 90o angles? Do the electrons bunch up in the corners?

louisquinn

yeahh i had it going on a breadboard so i guess the layout is all good..it does pass audio in bypass mode so definitely something with my wiring   
i actually did find that one side of the yellow jumper wasnt connecting up with the other (this all goes to ground) but i crocodile clipped that up and no difference. ill check all my wire links too
but yeah that audio probe sounds like a good idea.. find exactly where the fault is
this has been very helpful thanks ill defs check that forum too!

gulnare69

Hi all.

Just finished putting this together, amazing pedal!
I tried adding the J201 buffer to the standard Clari(not) but had a massive volume drop and it sucked the tone out, made it sound very flat.
Could this be due to faulty/dodgy chinese J201s?
I've since reverted back to the standard with fuzz lift, it's more than loud enough and in clean mode the envelope works fine, so it's fine, just curious.

I also added a feedback pot (1MA) between lug 3 of the blend pot and pin 16 of the PT2399.
It seems to work ok, I get delay tails coming through nicely, if a little quieter than the original delay.
It goes into oscillation about with the pot at about 2/3 (which is great) then past that it craps out to silence and turning it down gets the delay happening again.

Should I have something else inline with the 1M pot to either stop it from overloading or to protect the IC?
Maybe a resistor in series like the main input? And would it be worth linking it to pin 15 as well via another resistor?

I appreciate any input.

KNA

I'm not getting this thing to work and I can't find out why. Is there anyone kind enough to have a look at my voltage readings? I used the layout from tagboardeffects (http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.se/2012/02/mid-fi-electronics-clarinot.html) and posted my results there as well. The led lights up quickly when the power is connected but there are no flashing. Also the pin on the regulator reads 5.6 volts but I have tried three different with both batteries and wall warts and they all give the same reading, so I think my multimeter is the issue. Anyway, the pt2399:
1. 5,6
2. 2,7
3. 0
4. 0
5. 3,4
6. 2,7
7. 5,1
8. 0
9. 0
10. 0
11. 0,7
12. 2,7