mid-fi clai(not) schematic!

Started by doug deeper, February 16, 2009, 02:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegadrian

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

trjones1

Quote from: edd101 on March 01, 2010, 05:04:22 AM
hi there!
its been a while since I built myself ClariNOT3. I like it VERY much, but I came across one problem that bothers me. When I use my guitar with hot pickups my Clari (in fuzz lift mod) distorts. So, lets say, I use clari as chorus and hit string hard I get some distortion!

Need some help here ::) Is it possible to solve this ???

thnx

Ed

That's just the way the 386 works in this circuit.  It never truly gets clean.  If your pickups are hot you just need to turn down the guitar volume a bit to clean it up.

frequencycentral

I noticed this last week. My daughter came round to jam, she has a Gibson Les Paul Studio (bought for her by daddy), the humbuckers are much hotter than the humbuckers in my Squier Telecaster Custom - they really drove the Clari into distortion, much more so than my Tele.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Ry

I finished my perf build with a fuzz lift and lfo/env switch yesterday and noticed the same thing.  I was somewhat surprised that my Jazzmaster drove it hard enough to distort with the fuzz lift.  I'm thinking about putting a simple gain control in front of the thing (maybe an op amp volume knob type thing).

edd101

Quote from: Renegadrian on March 01, 2010, 06:12:49 AM
Change guitar - easy!  :icon_smile:

yeah! but this baby is my latest passion ;D and it's blonde :P ::) ;D
...it is always funny until someone gets hurt!!!

alexanest

I built a clari with fuzz lift. Now all my friends want one. I have 2 questions:
Can I build 5-10 of these pedals and sell them to folks around Ann Arbor? I will gladly pay a license fee to the designers.
Would someone be willing to make and sell me some boards for the ultimate cubed version? The one I built was on perfboard, but I would love to try for the version with a switch between LFO and ENV.
Thanks!

Hides-His-Eyes

I doubt anyone involved will want your money, so you might like to donate a proportion of the proceeds to the site itself to keep this place running for other budding entrepreneurs like yourself :) ...

alexanest

That would work for me too. I just don't want to be selling a pedal that is a variation on an original design by mid-fi without permission. It's one thing to sell fuzz variants and germanium boosts since the original companies are all gone.

MikeH

Quote from: alexanest on March 29, 2010, 11:01:25 AM
I built a clari with fuzz lift. Now all my friends want one. I have 2 questions:
Can I build 5-10 of these pedals and sell them to folks around Ann Arbor?

The old Ace-Deuce eh?
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Mugshot

guys, just a Q: how do i bring up LED brightness? i breadboarded one stock and used an LDR/LED, but the super bright LED just wont light up, except when i break the connection to pins 1 and 8 of the LM386 IC, but output is low and LED barely lights up. with connection to pins 1 and 8 lifted, i needed to whack the strings real hard to light up the LED and hear the effect. im pretty sure all other parts function well, and that there are no bad parts other than the 386 i used (im sure, i had a "bad" bunch of them 386, grrr!).

the circuit works: there is fuzz, blend knob works, no repeats but only one delayed signal, depth pot controls intensity of effect but lowers delay time, delay pot adjusts delay time. but im quite certain the 386 aint putting out enough juice to light up the LED. any tips to make LED light up more? the LDR works by the way.

???
i am what i am, so are you.

glops

Wow, this thing is FUN!  It's on breadboard now.  Ran a Scrambler into it earlier tonight.  Sonic bliss!

SS_KoRn89

I tried the layout on page 12, The cubed version  deluxe.  I got the effect working to an extent.  My first problem:

- The depth knob is controlling the delay time and the delay knob really isn't doing anything

Second problem:

- The LFO doesnt seem to be working.  I did swap a TL072 instead of a TL062.  Could that be the problem?

Third problem:

-  I'm getting some weird really low noises after the delays.  Sounds almost like someone passing gas :icon_biggrin:

I know its hard to debug my problems without any other info, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has ran into these problems and fixed them?

frequencycentral

^^^

Did you thouroughly check the layout first? I didn't ever build it, only layed it out for the benefit of mankind. I'll have another look over it in the areas where you've got issues and get back to you.

doug deeper

Quote from: alexanest on March 29, 2010, 11:01:25 AM
Can I build 5-10 of these pedals and sell them to folks around Ann Arbor? I will gladly pay a license fee to the designers.
Would someone be willing to make and sell me some boards for the ultimate cubed version? The one I built was on perfboard, but I would love to try for the version with a switch between LFO and ENV.
Thanks!

not sure,
but i may be the person to ask.

SS_KoRn89

Quote from: frequencycentral on May 03, 2010, 05:04:22 PM
^^^

Did you thouroughly check the layout first? I didn't ever build it, only layed it out for the benefit of mankind. I'll have another look over it in the areas where you've got issues and get back to you.

Any luck with the layout?  I looked it over and can't find anything wrong with it, but then again I'm not the BEST at comparing schematics and layouts.

frequencycentral

Quote from: SS_KoRn89 on May 03, 2010, 02:34:28 PM
Second problem:

- The LFO doesnt seem to be working.  I did swap a TL072 instead of a TL062.  Could that be the problem?

A guy on another forum found an error in the Cubed Deluxe layout. There is a trace under R13 that goes to ground - it shouldn't be there. Cutting that trace will get the LFO working. I'll remove that erroneous trace and reload the layout.

wintery

Newbie question, but first off,  humble thanks to D.Deeper!!!!!, freq'central and all who are making this possible. Where do I send the beer money???

I've bread boarded the pre-cube Clari(not) ... all seems well with the Clari but I'm testing over a loud and clear radio station. I got into it at first but now I'm beggin' for just the guitar and Clari(not) if possible.  Any ideas?

dave

frequencycentral

Quote from: wintery on June 24, 2010, 02:27:37 PM
....................................bread boarded.............................................radio station.......................................

Probably it's the fact that it's breadboarded. An enclosure forms a Faraday Cage and (in most cases) will cut out the radio signal.

p_wats

I built my Clari(not) stock aside from the fuzz-lift switch and it sounds great and is a never-ending source of entertainment (some great damaged tape sounds can be had), but now I want to build the deluxe version! That LFO/ENV switch makes my mouth water...

SS_KoRn89

Quote from: frequencycentral on June 24, 2010, 11:39:40 AM
Quote from: SS_KoRn89 on May 03, 2010, 02:34:28 PM
Second problem:

A guy on another forum found an error in the Cubed Deluxe layout. There is a trace under R13 that goes to ground - it shouldn't be there. Cutting that trace will get the LFO working. I'll remove that erroneous trace and reload the layout.

Thanks alot!!  I've been trying to debug this thing for awhile.  Maybe that will fix my problems.