mid-fi clai(not) schematic!

Started by doug deeper, February 16, 2009, 02:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doug deeper

Quote from: John Lyons on August 10, 2010, 11:42:11 AM
Warning, board spamming in progress.

If anyone wants a board for the Clarinot Cubed I can make them for $13 shipped US.
For overseas $14. basicaudiowv AT yahoo dot com
Rick, I assume this is ok with you. If not then lemme know.  ;)

John

what about asking me????;)

jdub

Quote...layout on page 12 of this thread? If so, is everything working as expected? And can we call it verified?

Finally found the problem with mine- microscopic solder bridge, of course, that took forever to find.  Also, I was trying to use a blue superbright LED- switched it back to the pink one I used before & everything is hunky dory (forward voltage requirement of blue too high? Hmmmm...) Anyway, Rick, I call yer layout verified because I am now achieving mucho groovy weirdness.  Kudos, man.
A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim

DDD

Fantastic device, wonderful sounds, ingenious design!
Has anybody tried it with 12 or 15 or 18 Volts power supply to get more headroom for clean sound ?
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

joer0952

Hello, I was looking at this layout for this pedal and was wondering what the bent line with the arrow means on all the pots, is that just the symbol thats being used for a pot or does it mean something?  Sorry im new to this and ive never seen it before.

quackenbush

yeah, that's one of the symbols for potentiometers. electrical engineers are just as bad as classical guitarists are with developing multiple redundant notations for things.

also, first post, Hi everybody.

DDD

Hi men,
Has somebody tried expression pedal with 100 kOhm pot in place of internal 100 kOhm "Delay" pot?
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

El Heisenberg

Hey, after all the talk a few years ago about the fuzz lift switch...

The LED didnt light cos the signal was too weak. But couldnt you just tweak the values around the led/ldr to make it work?
"Your meth is good, Jesse. As good as mine."

trjones1

Quote from: DDD on January 22, 2011, 05:42:08 AM
Hi men,
Has somebody tried expression pedal with 100 kOhm pot in place of internal 100 kOhm "Delay" pot?

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but I did in fact put an expression pedal on the delay pot and it is awesome.  Highly recommended.

Quote from: El Heisenberg on March 18, 2011, 10:31:09 AM
Hey, after all the talk a few years ago about the fuzz lift switch...

The LED didnt light cos the signal was too weak. But couldnt you just tweak the values around the led/ldr to make it work?

I used a 2k pot for tracking and never had a problem with the fuzz lift canceling out the tracking effect.  If you don't have a 2k pot you could try increasing the value of R8 and see if that does the trick.  BTW, I was using a VTL5C2 as the LED/LDR, which will affect the response.

doug deeper

Or you could add a buffer at the beginning of the circuit, split the signal, one half goes to the delay chip, one half goes to the 386/led.
:icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :D

Ry

QuoteOr you could add a buffer at the beginning of the circuit, split the signal, one half goes to the delay chip, one half goes to the 386/led.

I may have heard this a version that does this recently.  :icon_wink:

El Heisenberg

Whats up with all the winky faces? Lemme in on the joke

doug deeper

I have a new version of the clari(not) that is fuzzless.
That's how you do it!  :icon_wink:

El Heisenberg

Um is there a schem out?

How is the LED lightig up if youre bypassinf the 386/LDR?

anchovie

Quote from: El Heisenberg on March 19, 2011, 09:46:15 PM
Um is there a schem out?

Doug builds these and other pedals to make a living. Don't expect him to reveal his new design immediately!

Quote from: El Heisenberg on March 19, 2011, 09:46:15 PMHow is the LED lightig up if youre bypassinf the 386/LDR?

From two posts above yours, with no mention of bypassing:
Quote from: doug deeper on March 18, 2011, 05:58:15 PM
Or you could add a buffer at the beginning of the circuit, split the signal, one half goes to the delay chip, one half goes to the 386/led.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

El Heisenberg

Oh jeez i didnt notice i was talking to the designer!

I guess ill just haff ta breadboard it and mess around.

p_wats

Is it weird then that my build works really well with the fuzz-lift as is? I rarely ever use the fuzz at all and still get all the weirdness I want.

frequencycentral

^^^

Probably depends on the brightness of your LED and the sensitivity of your LDR.

But I'm guessing Doug's new design still uses a 386 to active the LED, it's just not used in the audio path.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

p_wats

Quote from: frequencycentral on March 23, 2011, 09:22:40 PM
^^^

But I'm guessing Doug's new design still uses a 386 to active the LED, it's just not used in the audio path.

Thanks. I don't recall being too picky about the vactrol I used, so I guess I got lucky! Ha.

doug deeper

Quote from: frequencycentral on March 23, 2011, 09:22:40 PM
^^^

Yep!
The buffer is a jfet, 10k resistor, and 2 10uf caps n the output.
The audio side goes through a 15k resistor to the junction on the 10k and 22k that feed the delay chip.
The other half goes from the second 10uf to the input of the 386, everthing is the same there except the .01ufcap and the 100k resistor are no longer there (so the fuzz doesn't get to the delay chip).

El Heisenberg

JEEZ!

I was going to experiment! I was looking forward to doing it wrong lol!

I sorta made a wild guess that you used an op amp and I was gunna be all clever and use a JFET. Blah. Can't beleive you just give away the idea. Nodody better be selling clones da*^it