SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Show Your Workbench

Started by DougH, November 16, 2009, 08:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose23

Quote from: DougH on May 28, 2010, 07:01:03 AM
Quote from: G. Hoffman on January 18, 2010, 01:34:57 AM

The Tool Rack - this is a modification of the tool racks we have on all our benches at the guitar shop - I'm just so used to having everything laid out in front of me like this, I go nuts if I can't have it.

Gabriel

I really like that idea. I may have to build one for myself. My tools end up on the bench taking up valuable space, and they're not always easy to find.

I use the pull out keyboard drawer under my desk to keep tools on. Probably not as good as the rack but it still keeps my work space clear.

deadastronaut

Quote from: BubbaFet on May 28, 2010, 11:07:34 AM

thats the same as mine....lol...very ergonomic though...lol..
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

G. Hoffman

Quote from: DougH on May 28, 2010, 07:01:03 AM
Quote from: G. Hoffman on January 18, 2010, 01:34:57 AM

The Tool Rack - this is a modification of the tool racks we have on all our benches at the guitar shop - I'm just so used to having everything laid out in front of me like this, I go nuts if I can't have it.

Gabriel

I really like that idea. I may have to build one for myself. My tools end up on the bench taking up valuable space, and they're not always easy to find.

Oh, mine end up all over my bench too, but when I take the time to work clean I actually work faster.  And its always easier to find things the first time, at least.

Gabriel

Brymus

Quote from: frequencycentral on May 03, 2010, 01:01:57 PM
Nice to see your pussy has something big and red to swivel on.  ;)
Laugh forever and a minute on that ,new sig maybe ?
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

Steve Mavronis

Even that has me beat. My so-called workbench is a combination of my living room computer desk and kitchen breakfast bar!
Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

Talon5051

I just moved into a new house.  Here is my new workbench. I think this space alone is worth the price of rent.;D  I haven't completed the set up yet but am getting there.

Brymus

Oh thats BEAUTIFUL  ;D Drool, Drool,
A workspace like that could definetly cause a bad case of G.A.S.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D

G. Hoffman

I decided I wasn't happy with my PnP Blue circuit boards (no surprise, given my personality), but I didn't want to pay for the MG Chemicals UV light - so I made my own!  It cost about $20 in LEDs from China, and all the wood used is scrap from around the shop.  The glass was maybe $3.  So, I believe that I saved money - as long as you don't count my time!  If you count the time I spent, this thing cost me about $1000!

{click pics for bigger versions}

It works REALLY well.  Even with my first couple, where I didn't really know what I was doing, they've come out at least as good as the best I could do with the PnP Blue toner transfer method.  Its also MUCH faster!  I'm liking this system a lot.

The business end.  

It uses 200 UV LEDs, in 40 strings of 5.  The 18V power supply came from someone's lap top (I've no idea whose), and at 2.23A is WAY more than I need.  The LEDs draw about 20mA each, and the 40 resistors are drawing less than 19mA each, so the total rig draws about 800mA.  I briefly thought about just using power direct from the wall, and using the LEDs as the rectifier with maybe a couple caps to reduce the ripple, but I decided that wouldn't be the safest option in the world!

200 LEDs and 40 27ohm resistors, joined with a couple different Western Union Linesman splices.  Why?  Because sometimes I get to be a bit obsessive.

Can you say, WAY more work than it was worth?  I thought you could.

Wiring the LEDs took me about a month (though I took a couple weeks off in the middle, though), and the case for it took me about 15-20 minutes (not counting buying the glass; that was another 10 minutes - I really like having a great hardware store half a block from my shop!

It takes about two minutes to expose the board, about 30-45 seconds to develop it - maybe a minute - and you are ready to go.  Totally cool!  Mind you, if I were to do it again, I would use PnP to make 4 or so circuit boards for the LEDs, instead of making all those linesman splices!  I'm pretty sure it will work forever, though, so I'm not overly bothered by it - now that its done!

By the way, I designed the LED array using THIS SITE.

Gabriel

G. Hoffman

Oooops!  Double post!

Gabriel

eniacmike

my chair is in between two desks and I swivel back and forth between the computer and the workbench

close up of the workbench

parts&supplys are on a window bench

the other side of the room is where I test things out.

Brymus

Nice
I see the Beatles Rock Band in the corner .
Did you get the drum kit too ?
The only thing I like about Guitar Hero/Rock Band is the drums and vocals.
The drums are dead on, on expert level. And makes a great drum trainer (I use it for my 9 yr old daughter before letting her sit at my kit)
Except when I play with the kids, then I play drums, fake guitar is lame IMO
And the vocal pitch indicator is a great voice trainer,again my oldest girl can sing great after playing it awhile.
And to my suprise and enjoyment she prefers playing my Beatles edition over the rock band and guitar hero versions we have.
I too have learned a couple of the more difficult beats/songs by playing rock band then going to my real drum kit and applying what I learned.

FlyingZ

DougH

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Talon5051

QuotePhotoshop much?

Man, rough crowd.   ;D

FlyingZ

OOOOH! That's the facsimile, so sorry  :)

stringsthings

Quote from: G. Hoffman on July 25, 2010, 01:34:34 AM
I decided I wasn't happy with my PnP Blue circuit boards (no surprise, given my personality), but I didn't want to pay for the MG Chemicals UV light - so I made my own!  It cost about $20 in LEDs from China, and all the wood used is scrap from around the shop.  The glass was maybe $3.  So, I believe that I saved money - as long as you don't count my time!  If you count the time I spent, this thing cost me about $1000!

dude  :icon_mrgreen:  that setup is extra sweet ... ( my virtual jaw hit the virtual floor when i saw these pics )

G. Hoffman

Quote from: stringsthings on August 07, 2010, 05:53:13 PM
Quote from: G. Hoffman on July 25, 2010, 01:34:34 AM

dude  :icon_mrgreen:  that setup is extra sweet ... ( my virtual jaw hit the virtual floor when i saw these pics )

I have to say that the more I use this thing, the more I wish I had just started with the photo process for PCB's.  It is just sooooop much better than any of the toner transfer things I've tried.  I still have a few things where I will have to use PnP Blue (etching boxes and such), but for PCBs this really is the way to go!  (Actually, one of my local electronics places has a spray on photo resist - I may have to try that!)

Gabriel

Thomeeque

Hi!

Let's wake up this sleeping thread, one quickie from yesterday:

Btw. I had to add one line yet, in bag from Banzai were nine more 2N5952's then I did ordered and paid for :icon_mrgreen:

So what's going on on *your* benches these days, guys? ;)

Cheers, T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

~arph

Quote from: Thomeeque on December 03, 2010, 09:10:52 AM

Wiring up 60 LED's to illuminate the company logo.  8)

Thomeeque

Quote from: ~arph on December 03, 2010, 09:23:02 AM
Quote from: Thomeeque on December 03, 2010, 09:10:52 AM

Wiring up 60 LED's to illuminate the company logo.  8)

Wow! Well, make your company logo famous - post picture here! ;) T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!