pix of Custom built guitar amps/cabs

Started by TimWaldvogel, April 05, 2010, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubelectron

Hey Guys...

I've been out of DIYStomboxes for a while, and in the meantime you've worked on a lot on unseen, funny, classy, oddball, surprising... Well, amazing amp releases that I discover now ! (I distributed a bunch of likes, of course).

Fortunately my job and my health issues have finally left me some time to resume and nearly achieve the construction of my big amp project The Serial Tone Killer  :icon_biggrin: ... Started nearly 3 years ago  :icon_redface:

Sorry if there's no resizing of the big pictures...   :icon_confused:  I deleted them and reposted them in a more convenient size a bit further !

I still have to build the footswitch and make the final tests  :icon_rolleyes: :icon_wink:

A+!

I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

rankot

Incredbile! Looks like nothing's left uninstalled on your workbench :)
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

tubelectron

I apologize for these useless gigantic pics, a pain to watch  :icon_mad:... Here is a set of pics in resized version, more easy to look at :

Quote from: rankot on August 20, 2018, 02:10:11 PM
Incredbile! Looks like nothing's left uninstalled on your workbench :)

Well, I cleaned the bench for the pictures, you guess it rankot...  :icon_wink:

A+!

Marcos - Munky

That's an amazing build!

For pics size, you can use postimage (there's an "add image to post" right under the reply text box). It's free, requires no registration and yu get a code for a thumbnail pic with a link to the big sized one.

hoi

Wow, that's cool! Does it stay up pretty well?

rankot

This amp looks so beautiful and great it's almost unbelievable it's real! I can only hope I will make something at least half as good! Still looking and enjoying those pictures!
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

tubelectron

Thanks you Guys !

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on August 20, 2018, 06:24:14 PM
That's an amazing build!

For pics size, you can use postimage (there's an "add image to post" right under the reply text box). It's free, requires no registration and yu get a code for a thumbnail pic with a link to the big sized one.

Yes, righ Marcos - Munky t. I use Lightpics that offers the same functionalities about resizing, but I only forgot to use them...  :icon_redface:

Quote from: hoi on August 20, 2018, 07:57:11 PM
Wow, that's cool! Does it stay up pretty well?

For the moment, I made preliminary tests with instruments (DMM, signal generator, oscilloscope, dummy load...) and debugged some little mistakes of wiring  :icon_rolleyes:

These preliminary tests gives the following results, on sine wave, 440hz, 8 ohms load, onset of clipping (see scope screen) :
75W RMS in stage/full mode.
22W RMS in stage/half mode.
1W RMS in home mode.

I still have to decide which speaker to install in it...  :icon_neutral:

Quote from: rankot on August 21, 2018, 12:34:36 AM
This amp looks so beautiful and great it's almost unbelievable it's real! I can only hope I will make something at least half as good! Still looking and enjoying those pictures!

On another forum where I will not post anymore, I have been treated as a good photoshopper among other uglynesses that their "dogmatic guru experts" 's jealousy only find to comment...  :icon_cool:

"Les cons, ça ose tout. C'est d'ailleurs à cela qu'on les reconnaît"  :icon_lol: - by Michel Audiard, one of the most famed dialogue writers of the French cinema of the 60's.

Some additional pics (that I may have already posted  :icon_redface:) to prove that yes, I am a "N°1 in Photoshop" user  :icon_lol: :

The wood in the trunk of my car, coming from the DIY supermarket :

Cabs assembled (the one on sublect here is the big one) :

Cabs Tolexed and Grillcloth-ed :

Laser-engraved face plates, designed in vectorial Inkscape drawing :

Chassis preparation :

OK... You guess the rest, I think.  :icon_wink:

But I don't forget that the DIYstompboxes members are truly skilled artists - namely for building, and moreover painting and decorating stompboxes  :icon_surprised: :icon_eek: :icon_cool:, a job that I'm in pain to do...  :icon_sad:

A+!

davent

Delightful as always Bruno! Beautiful design, impeccable execution.  Good to see you're well, look forward to seeing many more of your amps.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

stallik

Sir, as always, your builds have class!
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

tubelectron

Thanks Dave & Stallik !

I pleasantly see that many members are jumping (or are still) in the bandwagon of building unseen, funky and classy amps, and that's cool  8) 8) 8).

In fact, DYIstompboxers are much more inspired, versatile and able of anything than those cork sniffers, self-called "tube amp experts", who know everything without ever having learned anything but tell-tale stories...  :icon_lol:

First simplified tone test today : the Serial Tone Killer amps works as expected, but still needs some little debugging : there's an insulting remaining little hum, probably due to an unwanted GND loop somewhere, that I must "Seek and Destroy" !  :icon_twisted:  :icon_wink:

A+!

tubelectron

Well... The debugging and fine-tuning comes to its end... A tiny buzzz to remove, some little clicks on switching to eradicate...

I'll try to make samples with my pro friends playing when the Serial Tone Killer will be ready !  ;)

Sorry, no pics this time  :-\.

A+!

vigilante397

I'd been thinking about doing this for a while and finally got around to it. This is the 4th amp that has been in this cabinet (an old Epiphone Valve Jr. head) and the 3rd finish on the box, and I think this is finally how it will stay. It's now a slightly modded Matchless Lightning clone with matching 1x12 cab, and I dig it. I pulled the tolex off the front of the cabinets and spraypainted underneath, then added my own logo, which of course lights up on the head, because if it's going to be like a Matchless it may as well be like a Matchless. But I think more than anything I'm really proud of how well the logo plates and the faceplate turned out. I tried a new method for these on this build and I really like how they turned out, so I'm going to continue doing it this way ;D

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

vigilante397

Me again :P this is another one I did recently, it's a Marshall TMB 18W clone with reverb. The cab was built buy a gentleman I met online, which I stained and lacquered. It didn't turn out perfect, but it was a neat learning experience, and it sounds good 8)

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

thermionix

Gutshots?  C'mon man, you know we like it hardcore around here!

vigilante397

Quote from: thermionix on October 02, 2018, 03:31:11 AM
Gutshots?  C'mon man, you know we like it hardcore around here!

Gutshots were omitted intentionally :P I said they sounded good, I didn't say they were pretty inside. But I guess I can get some gutshots ::)
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

thermionix

All tube amps are beautiful, in the Lord's eyes.

vigilante397

Alright, here's your gutshots. Lightning on top, 18W TMB (slightly before completion) on bottom. Both followed Ceriatone layouts with the exception of solid-state rectifier and omission of a filter choke.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

thermionix

They look damn good to me, don't see why you'd be hesitant to post those.  You should see my amp (you won't), it's had 4 or more completely different circuits in the chassis, countless mods and experiments, buncha extra holes and solder tags...quite a mess!

Marcos - Munky

Yeah, they look nice to me too. Way better than my Hi Octane :icon_redface: :icon_lol:

vigilante397

Well this is embarrassing. Just looked at the pictures closer and that's the wrong 18W gutshot. That was one I built around the same time, but that one was two channel without reverb, whereas the amp I posted is single channel with reverb. I'll have to see if I can find those guts (I drilled the mounting holes a little off so I would love to not open and re-close the amp just for a gutshot).
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com