pix of Custom built guitar amps/cabs

Started by TimWaldvogel, April 05, 2010, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sajy_ho

Life is too short for being regretful about it.

midwayfair

"Sakura" -- my "woodchipper" modified champ in a cabinet built by my dad (made out of solid cherry!).

Demo:

Here's a blog post:
http://jonpattonmusic.com/2014/06/28/meet-sakura-me-and-my-dad-built-an-amp/

There's a thread floating around the forum for the schematic and info on the circuit.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

tca

Quote from: midwayfair on July 05, 2014, 05:02:12 PM
"Sakura" -- my "woodchipper" modified champ in a cabinet built by my dad (made out of solid cherry!).
I like the metal corners that you used. What are they? Furniture protections?
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Liquitone

Great amp you build there Jon! I like how it's simple, yet versatile. Sounds and looks great too. the Jon P. painting style combined with the wood and corners go well together, makes me want to play it in the shade of an cherry-tree :)
I've build a cupboard once out of cherry-wood and loved the subtle greens and pinks in the wood, and the smell is hard to forget, sort of watery and fresh.

midwayfair

Quote from: tca on July 05, 2014, 06:03:08 PM
I like the metal corners that you used. What are they? Furniture protections?

I wish I knew ... we need four more of them for the bottom!
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

BLACK AUDIO

midwayfair: impressive retro amp! nice work  ;)

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

seedlings

Square corners are my favorite!  This build for a friend^

CHAD

midwayfair

bluebunny

Quote from: seedlings on July 06, 2014, 02:05:40 PM
Square corners are my favorite!  This build for a friend^

Looks great.  Lucky friend!

Quote from: midwayfair on July 05, 2014, 05:02:12 PM
my "woodchipper" modified champ in a cabinet built by my dad

Very nice, Jon.  I wish my Dad did a bit of woodworking.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Victor custom

My "customest" tube amp with strobe and UV leds
Everyone should own at least one VICTOR CUSTOM device during lifetime!

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER

smurfedelic smurfberry

nice disco amp head!

i'm trying to build a cab using mdf without having much of a clue about anything, or reading up about things beforehand :D
the mdf split up in a few places where i put screws, but when i glue it together and use clamps during that process i hope it'll get better

I'm planning to prime it and sand it a bit, and then paint it some darkish color, haven't decided what yet.
no money/skills/patientce for tolex.  grill cloth is some crap i got cheap from aliexpress. it works.

if i'm going to run in to problems, advice is much appreciated.
Hi! My name is Petter and I'm from Sweden. This is my blog: http://ptelectronics.tumblr.com

Jdansti

Don't feel bad. I had oak warp and split a month after I built a cab. Make sure you have adequately sized pilot holes for the screws.

Barrel nuts like this might work.

• SUPPORTER

G. Hoffman

Quote from: smurfedelic smurfberry on August 13, 2014, 01:02:14 PM
nice disco amp head!

i'm trying to build a cab using mdf without having much of a clue about anything, or reading up about things beforehand :D
the mdf split up in a few places where i put screws, but when i glue it together and use clamps during that process i hope it'll get better

I'm planning to prime it and sand it a bit, and then paint it some darkish color, haven't decided what yet.
no money/skills/patientce for tolex.  grill cloth is some crap i got cheap from aliexpress. it works.

if i'm going to run in to problems, advice is much appreciated.

The problem is that the core of a sheet of MDF is extremely soft, and very weak.  The trick to screws in MDF is to drill pilot holes which are fairly oversize, and to flood the area around the hole with cyanoacrylate (super glue, frequently known as CA).  As much CA as you can get it to absorb - though you don't want it to start filling the hole.  For instance, in soft wood a #8 wood screw should have a 5/64" pilot hole, and 7/64" in hard wood.  The nominal diameter of the shaft is .164", which is a bit more than 5/32"  I would drill a pilot hole with either an 1/8" or 9/64" brad point bit, and then dump a bunch of thin CA into the hole and around the perimeter.  Let that soak in for 10-20 seconds, then hit it with a shot or two of accelerator.  Go slowly when you are driving your screws.  You can try using some cauls and clamps to support the hole when you are driving the screws, but it probably won't help. 

After it has cracked, you can try disassembling the piece; then gluing and clamping with either wood glue or CA (make sure you use cauls to spread the force of the clamps, and wax paper to keep the cauls from sticking to anything); and then enlarging the pilot holes and hardening the MDF with CA (if you don't, it will just split again), but there is no guarantee it will work, as the core of MDF doesn't really take glue all that well (it is so porous it just kind of soaks up the glue without really bonding). 

Honestly, though, with out some kind of support (either cross dowels or threaded inserts), MDF is an awful material to try and use with screws.  All the strength of MDF in in the outer skins, and they are so hard that if you try to drive a screw into them with out a very large pilot hole, they just shatter. 

Gabriel

smurfedelic smurfberry

Thanks for the cyanoacrylate tip!  got some at home and definitely going to use it.  yeah, my pilot holes were way too small. oh well, live and learn.
Hi! My name is Petter and I'm from Sweden. This is my blog: http://ptelectronics.tumblr.com

gtudoran

Our latest baby:

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran

Greenmachine

G. Hoffman

Building the turret board for the AC30 I'm making, I decided to play around a bit with some wire work inspired by (but certainly not comprable to!) the lock wire work they do to make sure the bolts on a jet engine don't fall out and foul the works!  It would be a lot easier if I could find my lock wire twisting pliers I got off amazon for like $10, but I can't seem to find them anywhere!!

Gabriel