News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Etched enclosures

Started by Johnny Lemonhead, July 15, 2010, 10:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pettol

Quote from: John Lyons on March 18, 2013, 11:51:55 PM
One way you can keep etchant in the right place is by dabbing it on the areas you want to etch rather than submerging the whole top. Use a Q tip/earbud soaked in etchant and after a few retouches wash away the spent etchant and dab on more may take a bit more time but it's highly more accurate in localizing your etch areas and cutting down on surface area where pin holes may hide.

+1

If you're using NaOH, you need to find some alkali resistant paint for masking (enamel doesn't work).

radio

I hope my question is not too off-topic ,but it s related to etchings some 250 years ago.

I was last weekend in the Rembrandt house/Amsterdam ,and he did some remarquable

etchings in those days, but mainly on copper to transfer pictures on paper.

Wouldn't that be a method for us today a bit like silkscreening?

Unfortunatly , no info about the acids.

Thoughts???

Regards JM
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

ch1naski

On the subject of printers....
You think 600x600 dpi is too low of a resolution for etching boxes?
More importantly, pcb's ?
Mockingbird wish me luck.

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: radio on March 19, 2013, 07:57:12 AM
I hope my question is not too off-topic ,but it s related to etchings some 250 years ago.

I was last weekend in the Rembrandt house/Amsterdam ,and he did some remarquable

etchings in those days, but mainly on copper to transfer pictures on paper.

Wouldn't that be a method for us today a bit like silkscreening?

Unfortunatly , no info about the acids.

Thoughts???

Regards JM

What they did is coat a sheet of copper with a thin layer of wax and use a fine needle to draw in the wax. by doing this the copper would be exposed where they drew. they would then dip it in an acid to etch where the copper is exposed leaving the drawn image in the copper. Then they take off the wax and cover it with ink and press it to paper.
So its not really like silkscreening. It's more like pressings.

I hope that explains what you were asking about.
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

radio

Thanks for your explanation, Mike !

Regards JM
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

defaced

Quote from: ch1naski on March 19, 2013, 09:24:38 AM
That's fine.  Most artwork isn't even that high resolution. 
-Mike

Perrow

Quote from: defaced on March 19, 2013, 03:04:24 PM
Quote from: ch1naski on March 19, 2013, 09:24:38 AM
That's fine.  Most artwork isn't even that high resolution.  

I use a 300x300 inkjet for PCBs (photo sensitive boards) and they're every bit as detailed as you need for through hole components.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

ch1naski

I've learned from a couple mistakes, had some great input from you guys, and came close to to a good etch.
I'm really excited to try another. Unfortunately, 11 hour workdays don't leave much time for anything. Hopefully this weekend.

guitarmageddon

Codtone Expandra, (Bixonic Expandora)

Hexjibber

Quote from: guitarmageddon on March 20, 2013, 07:10:48 AM
Codtone Expandra, (Bixonic Expandora)

Nice etch and great choice of graphic for the pedal!

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

graylensman

A question about irons: how harmful to the iron is it to use in the transfer process?

Or, to phrase it in another way: will my housemate know that I've borrowed his iron to make etching transfers, or is it wiser to buy a used on off Craigslist?

ch1naski

If you use paper or cloth over the transfer (like I didn't at first), should be ok. Do NOT iron photo paper without something between it and the iron.  Or suffer the consequences, like I did...:)

My girl is going to be pissed. :o

roseblood11

Quote from: ch1naski on March 20, 2013, 05:09:10 PMMy girl is going to be pissed.

How did you guess the title of my autobiographie?

electrosonic

Between 275 and 325 F, the toner transfers to the enclosure / pcb. 

At something like 375 F the press n peel backing melts, sticking to the iron.

A piece of paper between the iron and the press n peel is cheap insurance.

Andrew.
  • SUPPORTER

ch1naski

I have another question.
What's the consensus on toner in the etched area, do you leave it on the final finished product? paint over it? remove it and then paint?

Discuss!

Jdansti

Quote from: graylensman on March 20, 2013, 04:17:07 PM
A question about irons: how harmful to the iron is it to use in the transfer process?

Or, to phrase it in another way: will my housemate know that I've borrowed his iron to make etching transfers, or is it wiser to buy a used on off Craigslist?

If you do happen to get some schmutz on the iron, just make a thick paste out of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and water, and use a paper towel or cloth to scrub the iron with this paste.  Just keep it "pasty" and not too liquid.  When finished, just wipe clean with a damp cloth.  It will leave the iron with a beautiful shiny finish. BTW, this also works well on a lot of other surfaces.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Mustachio

Nice tip John! You always have great info man! Gonna check the fridge for some baking soda and try this on a box soon!

Nice Etch on that Expandora! looks great.

Thanks for the info on temps Electro! Will come in handy and good stuff to know!
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

guitarmageddon

Thanks!
Here's a ROG English Channel

ch1naski

Mmmm, British boobs.

Nice etch.