"Little Angel" - Super Simple PT2399 Mini Chorus

Started by frequencycentral, August 09, 2010, 08:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebunny

Quote from: frequencycentral on July 26, 2015, 11:04:36 PM
Wow! 5 years old in a couple of weeks

Never mind "birthday edition", what about a "starting school" edition?  [emoji1]
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Perrow

I didn't build the little one, I built the little big one :)

Only built one, yet.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Elijah-Baley

Excuse me, Little Angel's experts.
I have a some problem with my Little Angel building. I used tagboard vero layout. I built it some months ago, and I had a little background noise when I play (not so loud but I can hear it :(), PT2399 tipical noise, I think. I tried 3 different IC. With 2 I got no changing, and the third didn't work. I tried with another 78L05, too.
Somebody tried to help me in this forum, but I got nothing, yet.  I checked the voltage, those are ok.
I test it out of the box, without footswitch nor led indicator and with a little bit diyng battery at the moment. After boxed and with a psu this circuit could be less noisy or not?
Seems to me some demo on youtube of this pedal play noiseless.
I really don't understand this.

Another thing. I tested the circuit after much time, and just now I notice, when I set speed and, even depth pot, to zero, a quickly detune. It is normal?

Thank you!
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

Cjuried

Chris Juried
Audio Engineering Society (AES) Member 
http://www.juriedengineering.com (Juried Engineering, LLC.)
http://www.tubeequipment.com (Tube Equipment Corporation)
http://www.historyofrecording.com (History of Recording)

Hemmel

Quote from: Cjuried on September 15, 2015, 02:49:08 PM
Quote from: Perrow on August 04, 2015, 01:56:03 PM
I didn't build the little one, I built the little big one :)

Only built one, yet.
Nice job!

^ Agreed!
Question to Perrow: Why is pin 4 on the PT2399 bent up that way? Couldn't it be inside the socket, since the trace on the PCB doesn't go anywhere?
Bââââ.

Perrow

The trace on the posted pcb-layout doesn't go anywhere, on the etched board it goes to ground :)

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Hemmel

Bââââ.

Perrow

The pcb in the build also has a turkey in the upper right corner (almost shines through on the image next to the input jack) as this was a build for the thanksgiving day contest.

It's also worth noting that the labels for the pots are wrong, should've been the other way around  ::)

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER

Perrow

Quote from: bluebunny on September 16, 2015, 03:09:47 AM
I thought it was peeing...   :icon_biggrin:

Someone has suggested it was "giving the finger", it sure is a conversation starter :D

GiovannyS10

I built a little angel, is very nice, but i recommend you to put a volume pot, because this chorus have so much gain and is difficult to use with distortion or drive. I like drive + chorus. xD

I used this layout, worked right for me.

Good work for you!
That's all, Folks!

"Are you on drugs?"
-ARSE, Duck.

www.instagram.com/allecto

avandelay

Just wanted to chime in and say that I just breadboarded a Little Angel, standard edition.  Works great on first breadboard and I'm getting it ready to solder it up.  Thanks Rick!

dabbler

Over 5 years after the original design I have just, today, found the thread & have built the Little Angel (V2) on breadboard. The only change being the use of a 1K resistor on pin 6 of the PT2399. It sounds superb (particularly since it's on breadboard - no noise  8) . Unlike most like most of the people on here I'm no expert (though I have successfully built Reverb (Equinox II), Echo, Fuzz and Tremolo effects). Big thank you to Rick for this great design.

Edit: Just modified to include the pin 6 fix (so that I get 100 Ohm at pin 6 without potential for lock up) and it sounds even better! Also put a 'rate' LED  from Pin 7 of 5532 (yep, I've used opposite configuration of the dual op amp to many). Interestingly, a 3mm red LED added a bit of noise but a 3mm yellow LED is fine  ???

maiko

This is also my primary chorus.    but im wondering if i wish to increase rate and depth what mods should i first start with.   should i change the pots to smaller value?   

Mgt280y

Does anyone have any prefab boards for either the little angel or birthday edition available at the moment?

bluebunny

JMK has a board.  They're in Canada, so I assume the prices are CAD.  Works out at about £8 shipped back to the UK.  Delyk has a board too.  Texas this time: price is around the same.  And of course, closer to home, is Fuzz Dog with their "Cherub" take on the LA: about six quid delivered.
  • SUPPORTER

Mgt280y

Cool thanks for that how does the cherub compare, as fuzz dog are awesome to deal with really fast delivery and sweets :), but all the write ups on the LA both editions sound very promising

roseblood11

Has anyone played the original version and the improved version by Jack Orman (with 6V regulator) side by side?

bluebunny

Quote from: Mgt280y on June 20, 2016, 04:35:25 AM
Cool thanks for that how does the cherub compare, as fuzz dog are awesome to deal with really fast delivery and sweets :), but all the write ups on the LA both editions sound very promising

So far as I know, the Cherub is the LA (Birthday Edition), but with options for mods.  (Not to be confused with Sam's Cherub chorus, btw.)
  • SUPPORTER

jfrabat

Hey guys!  Newbe here reviving  VERY old thread!  Sorry about that, but I need a little help!

I am building my LA, and based mine on the PCB and diagrams below (as found in Page 34 of this thread).

Quote from: frequencycentral on June 29, 2011, 04:08:04 PM
Schematic for the Birthday Edition:

[/quote]

My first question is that it seems that C17 is 47 uF in the schematic, but the diagram has it listed as 10 uF.  I have 10 uF in mine (did not notice this until I was trouble shooting), but what should it be?  10 uF or 47 uF?  Or either one?

Now, back to trouble shooting!  Using my audio probe, I noticed that the signal is coming in strong at the input, and continues strong after C13 (0.1 uF in the schematic), but then becomes muted down after R16 (470K in the schematic). Is this normal?  It is even further muted by R15 (1M in the schematic).  This muted sound makes it all the way to the 2399 pins 14, 15 & 16...  actually, I can hear the muted sound all the way to the output.  I did not continue testing because my cell phone (my source for tones for trouble shooting) ran out of batteries, but I figured I had enough to start asking for help.  So, what do you guys suggest I look at first?  Do you need voltage readouts from the 2399 pins?
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).