Building the Meat Sphere

Started by Taylor, July 27, 2011, 03:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicago_mike

5532 works fine.

I'm keeping the VTL's in there for now.

But I am going to mess with the freq range caps. The pedal is cool. but just a little thin sounding.

LaceSensor

Try the green led and the right ldr.... Makes a difference!

chicago_mike

Even in the low end of the signal?

I'll give it a go...( gosh darn stubborn fella gotta keep tellin me to switch this and switch that....Harumph Harumph! )  :icon_mrgreen:

FuzzAldrin

Ok ... so rotary postions

up/down is 2 positions
bandwidth is 3
range is 4
High,band and lowpass is 3 positions

Correct?

Taylor

FuzzAldrin

Thanks.
Well, I finished it up and I get only a clean signal when effect is on. Bypass works. The LED comes on and pulses depending on how I move some knobs. I don't appear to have any wet signal. Adjusting the knobs doesn't appear to do anything with the exception of the "blend" knob. When full CCW, its at about unity gain but the volume goes down as I turn it CW, and the volume dies off at about all the way dimed.
Used Tayda LM1458 chip too. Any thoughts?

Taylor

I would audio probe through the audio section of the circuit and see where the signal is shorting or not making contact.

LaceSensor

Quote from: FuzzAldrin on November 07, 2013, 03:16:44 PM
Thanks.
Well, I finished it up and I get only a clean signal when effect is on. Bypass works. The LED comes on and pulses depending on how I move some knobs. I don't appear to have any wet signal. Adjusting the knobs doesn't appear to do anything with the exception of the "blend" knob. When full CCW, its at about unity gain but the volume goes down as I turn it CW, and the volume dies off at about all the way dimed.
Used Tayda LM1458 chip too. Any thoughts?

ITs the tayda chip id bet money on it
try a 5532 or any other dual op amp and see if you get envelope...

mthibeau

Quote from: LaceSensor on November 07, 2013, 05:07:17 PM
ITs the tayda chip id bet money on it
try a 5532 or any other dual op amp and see if you get envelope...

I have to 2nd that, all 3 of the LM1458 I got from them did not envelope. A spare 5532 I had worked, then I bought a MC1458 (NOS) on Ebay and it worked fine.

alanp

Got some LM1458 chips straight from Mouser (not tayda). Worked first pop.

FuzzAldrin

Thanks guys, I will try another chip and report back.  :icon_cool:

MickeyP73

Aargh, I think I made a terrible mistake. :'( I've soldered three rotary switches on the wrong side of the board.

Can I just continue and put the fourth on the same side as the three are now, or will the circuit not work? ??? Desoldering them will be difficult. Removing by any other means as well (any tips?  :))

Any help is appreciated. I guess I learned to never solder when you're tired. :-\

Govmnt_Lacky

Better invest in a desolder pump bro!  :-\
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

MickeyP73

Thanks, yup, that was what I was afraid of. Desoldering a 15 pin switch is a pain, if at all practically possible. I'll try to cut the switches off some how and I can desolder the pins. Seems the best option, even though I will ruin the switches.

Psychopath

Quote from: MickeyP73 on January 13, 2014, 04:10:27 PM
Aargh, I think I made a terrible mistake. :'( I've soldered three rotary switches on the wrong side of the board.

Can I just continue and put the fourth on the same side as the three are now, or will the circuit not work? ??? Desoldering them will be difficult. Removing by any other means as well (any tips?  :))

Any help is appreciated. I guess I learned to never solder when you're tired. :-\
Quote from: sgmezei on May 19, 2012, 05:50:03 PM
Put this one in my "fail" box for the past couple months as it was not working. A bunch of questions but the most important is:

Will this work with the switches mounted "wrong" on the component side?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Quote from: Taylor on May 19, 2012, 06:11:15 PM
Yes, since that type of switch has contacts that are symmetrical, it will work the same with the switches on the wrong side, except of course that the positions will all be backwards.

MickeyP73

:icon_biggrin: Whooohoooo, backwards positions, I can live with that. Thank you so much for digging that up, I didn't catch that!

njkmonty

can someone advise where exactly i place the locking tabs into the rotary switches?

i cant get my head around it!!!

bcalla

You need to place the tab in each switch so that the number of positions is limited as follows:
Bandwidth - 3
Range - 4
Up/Down - 2
Filter - 3
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."
       -- Mark Twain

njkmonty

i noticed that in comparison to Taylor's picture on the first page, I didnt insert the alpha switches in the exact orientation as he did, should that be a problem?

bcalla

Quote from: njkmonty on February 06, 2014, 05:51:26 PM
i noticed that in comparison to Taylor's picture on the first page, I didnt insert the alpha switches in the exact orientation as he did, should that be a problem?
No, that won't matter.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."
       -- Mark Twain