DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zpyder

bancika-

I would suggest that when you add a new component and the screen pops up so that you can fill in it's value (resistors, capacitors, etc), that you allow more flexibility over the value entered:

Don't REQUIRE a suffix (K, R, M, u, p, n, etc.).  Still have the dropdown for suffixes, but have it default on a blank suffix.  That way I can enter "2k7" (which is what I prefer) instead of "2.7K", and anyone can still use suffixes if they wish.  If I enter "2k7" now, it comes out as "2k7R".  Since the default suffixes tend NOT to be the most commonly used for our applications, I don't believe this would cramp anyone's style.

cheers,
zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

bancika

The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

Dragonfly

Quote from: zpyder on November 03, 2006, 01:13:33 PM
bancika-

I would suggest that when you add a new component and the screen pops up so that you can fill in it's value (resistors, capacitors, etc), that you allow more flexibility over the value entered:

Don't REQUIRE a suffix (K, R, M, u, p, n, etc.).  Still have the dropdown for suffixes, but have it default on a blank suffix.  That way I can enter "2k7" (which is what I prefer) instead of "2.7K", and anyone can still use suffixes if they wish.  If I enter "2k7" now, it comes out as "2k7R".  Since the default suffixes tend NOT to be the most commonly used for our applications, I don't believe this would cramp anyone's style.

cheers,
zpyder

if you enter it as 2.7k on the table, then you can click on the component twice, enter "change value", and enter 2k7 ...only takes a second or two more...

AC

zpyder

Quote from: Dragonfly on November 03, 2006, 07:01:31 PM
if you enter it as 2.7k on the table, then you can click on the component twice, enter "change value", and enter 2k7 ...only takes a second or two more...

Though it's true that you can change the value later, I would say it's highliy inconvienient, and unfortunately takes quite a bit more than a second or two to do... As others have voiced, any projects with a good number of components start to lag pretty heavily.  bancika's talked about things to do about this.  In the meantime, dbl-right clicking and waiting for the window to pop up may only take a few seconds, but unfortunately the redraw that is necessary after you click "OK" can take upwards of 30 seconds.  For a project with, say, 20 resistors, that could be 20 x 33 sec worst case... or 660 seconds :: 11 minutes.  Even if it was half that much - even a quarter that much I guess, I'd still say that's quite a headache...

zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

pyrop

Quote from: bancika on October 31, 2006, 05:05:00 PM
By the way, it's been a while since someone recommended feature/component. C'mon guys  :icon_mrgreen:

Ok here is a nice easy one.

A nice little "Ground symbol" like above instead of routing wires back to the board from off board components.
It can get a bit messy when you have a pot or three on the other side of the board from where your ground connections are.

Once again thanks for a great program!

pyrop ;D

pyrop

Quote from: zpyder on November 03, 2006, 07:13:55 PM
Quote from: Dragonfly on November 03, 2006, 07:01:31 PM

Though it's true that you can change the value later, I would say it's highliy inconvienient, and unfortunately takes quite a bit more than a second or two to do... As others have voiced, any projects with a good number of components start to lag pretty heavily.  bancika's talked about things to do about this.  In the meantime, dbl-right clicking and waiting for the window to pop up may only take a few seconds, but unfortunately the redraw that is necessary after you click "OK" can take upwards of 30 seconds.  For a project with, say, 20 resistors, that could be 20 x 33 sec worst case... or 660 seconds :: 11 minutes.  Even if it was half that much - even a quarter that much I guess, I'd still say that's quite a headache...

zpyder

Better still, leave it blank and type in the symbol when you type in the value when you first place the component.
Having drop down lists with all the component values would slow things down even more than it is.

pyrop ;D

markm

coreybox

Quote from: MikeH on November 03, 2006, 12:33:31 PM
Something that occurred to me:  It would be nice to have a ruler option for rendering pcb images, so that you could make sure the scale is correct.

This is something i would like too.

(also, thanks for doing the program at all for us!)

pyrop

joelap

Really awesome program!  Used it two nights ago for a board layout, and I cant wait to test the layout in the real world.  Quick suggestion: when I did the layout, I started from the bottom left corner, and left myself tons of space just in case.  When I went to shrink it down, it started shrinking from the bottom, is there a way to size it so I can lower the board dimensions from the top instead of bottom?  Sorry if there is, it was my first go with it two days ago, just curious if theres a way?
- witty sig -

MikeH

Quote from: joelap on November 10, 2006, 01:00:29 PM
Really awesome program!  Used it two nights ago for a board layout, and I cant wait to test the layout in the real world.  Quick suggestion: when I did the layout, I started from the bottom left corner, and left myself tons of space just in case.  When I went to shrink it down, it started shrinking from the bottom, is there a way to size it so I can lower the board dimensions from the top instead of bottom?  Sorry if there is, it was my first go with it two days ago, just curious if theres a way?

You can just select all with cntl-A (or is it alt-A?) and move everything up to the upper left corner.  Then resize the board.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

bancika

choklitlove

hey bancika!

i don't know if this has been talked about (don't feel like going through the behemoth thread here), but i found something that i thought might be better.

when you close, it brings up the box with the "Continue without saving?" YES, NO.
in my opinion, i think it would be better, and closer to other programs that we're used to, if it was something like "Would you like to save?"

i've just accidentally clicked NO a few times because it's what i'm accustomed to.  what do you think, everyone?
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

bancika

RLBJR65

Bancika, I only have 1 inductor right now it's a Dunlop ECB-156.
Also a couple of photocouplers (I think someone mentioned them ???) 1 is a Vactec VTL5C2 the other is a Clairex CLM6000.
Look at the bottom of this pic for the sizes http://aronnelson.com/gallery/Richard-Boop-RLBJR65/VERO_TOOLS?full=1
Not enough info to mess with unless someone else chimes in I guess.

Quote from: coreybox on November 06, 2006, 12:35:24 AM
Something that occurred to me:  It would be nice to have a ruler option for rendering pcb images, so that you could make sure the scale is correct.

Me too!

Richard

Richard Boop

bancika

Quote from: RLBJR65 on November 11, 2006, 09:53:50 PM
Bancika, I only have 1 inductor right now it's a Dunlop ECB-156.
Also a couple of photocouplers (I think someone mentioned them ???) 1 is a Vactec VTL5C2 the other is a Clairex CLM6000.
Look at the bottom of this pic for the sizes http://aronnelson.com/gallery/Richard-Boop-RLBJR65/VERO_TOOLS?full=1
Not enough info to mess with unless someone else chimes in I guess.

Quote from: coreybox on November 06, 2006, 12:35:24 AM

Me too!

Richard

Pic would be enough, tnx :icon_mrgreen:
Ok for ruler!
Bye

markm

Oh Yes indeed.....the ruler would be very cool  8)
I get PM's up the wazoo about scaling my PCB's in my gallery.
Great Idea!!

RLBJR65

The older Halo and stacked type wah inductors have a bigger footprint because they have a square base. It's been a while but I think they would take up the whole 6X6 area with the pins at the corners. The Fasel inductors are different too they sit on their side.
Cool bunch of wah inductor pics. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castledine/greenfuz/inductor.html There is a nice mods section and project page there as well.

How hard would it be to create a misc circle and misc square / rectangel? Then you could select the right size and add pads where you need them. That would be usefull for oddball stuff like wah inductors, photo couplers, ldrs, huge caps, cooling fins, transformers, etc. etc.

Thanks,
Richard
Richard Boop

keko

What about the confirm dialog that shows when closing an unsaved document?

The standard behaviour is to ask wethere the user would like to save the document, and that gets the "yes" button preselected. Here is the other way around.

Changing this would work nicely with the Save As option/dialog,  because you could close an unsaved document, get the option to save it first, and use a different name if you want to.
.::keko::.
www.qpd.cl // desahógate ahora!
www.basa.cl // Digital « Design » Atelier

choklitlove

Quote from: keko on November 15, 2006, 11:34:34 AM
What about the confirm dialog that shows when closing an unsaved document?

The standard behaviour is to ask wethere the user would like to save the document, and that gets the "yes" button preselected. Here is the other way around.

Changing this would work nicely with the Save As option/dialog,  because you could close an unsaved document, get the option to save it first, and use a different name if you want to.
he said he would change that already, couple posts up.  he says "no problem"
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.