New Zvex Distortion

Started by WGTP, August 21, 2006, 05:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary vex

we've got the recording chain all set up now, and Erik will be available again tomorrow night.  it's amazing how long it takes to get everything wired up to do something like this.

Mark Hammer

1) That's one right pretty-lookin amp.  That grill cloth looks spectacular, like it just came from the laundry all ironed and neatly folded.  Can you smell the jealousy from where you're sitting?

2) How will we know what is the sound of the amp and what is the sound of the pedal?  More importantly, how will we know what the pedal does to the amp that the amp can't do itself when pushed hard with its arm twisted behind its back?  That's not a snipe at the pedal.  In fact, even if it mimicked what the amp does on all knobs set to 11, that would be a good thing.  But given that the stated purpose of the pedal IS to sort of mimic such things, are you going to do any A/B-ing of the amp cranked vs the uncranked amp with pedal on?  I guess the question is "If you're going to be USING that amp with the pedal, in what ways will the demo video let the potential customer know what the amp does and differentiate it from what the pedal does?"

One final thing.  You've avoided it long enough, my friend.  Time to step up to the plate, bite the bullet, and do something with phasing. :icon_wink: :icon_eek:

Dave_B

Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 23, 2006, 02:28:47 PM
One final thing.  You've avoided it long enough, my friend.  Time to step up to the plate, bite the bullet, and do something with phasing. :icon_wink: :icon_eek:
Indeed. It's not like he doesn't have the optos.   :)
Help build our Wiki!

zachary vex

1]  i loaned both those amps to my friend Dan Wilson when he played his last SemiSonic show here.  it was an outdoor show, about 7000 people, and they really sounded nice.  there's five of them in Minneapolis... i have two, my friend Ed has one, my friend Chris has one... and one is still for sale, in the box, at Twin Town Guitars: 612-822-3334.  pony up the dough, and it's yours.  8^)

2] we'll be recording the amp with everything on 10, as well as the clean setting we're using to demo the pedal.  you will easily be able to compare textures.  8^)

step up to the plate?  bite the bullet?  dude, i own the team, and... make love, not war.  8^D

here's my phaser:

scaesic

i like how zvex refuses to make chorus and phaser pedals.

they sound cheesey!

Mark Hammer

Wait.  You're suggesting that the cheesiness of everyone else's one and 2-knob phasers and choruses would override what the V-brain could imagine? :icon_rolleyes: I don't think so.

In grade 5, we used straight pens with nibs (yeah, I'm THAT old) and ink wells in the corner of our desks.  There was this....girl.....(I didn't know the B-word in grade 5) who sat behind me and would just poke her pen into my back through the slats in the chair all throuh class.  One day, I had enough.  She had jabbed me half a dozen times during French class, so I surreptitiously dipped my pen deeply into the ink well, making sure it got loaded up with as much ink as it could hold.  I held the base of the pen with one hand and pulled back on the nib as far as I could safely do, like Robin Hood pulling his bowstring, then turned around and let fly.  Shaeffer's pea%^&* blue never looked so good as it did all over her shocked face.  Revenge was never so sweet, nor so polka-dotted.

I'm gonna continue to pester Mr. V about doing something with phasing, the same way that gal poked me in the back.  Why?  Because I know at some point, he will eventually respond in creatively explosive manner, the way I did, and its gonna be the Jackson Pollock of phasing. And we will all have sly grins on our faces, the same way the French teacher did that afternoon.  :icon_biggrin:

Joe Kramer

Or, this being DIYstompboxes, you could make your own.   :icon_wink:
Solder first, ask questions later.

www.droolbrothers.com

scaesic

i'd like an octave down/organ style effect over a phasor or chorus. I HATE both, even the most expensive units.

i think an octavedown/organ into a johnny octave  (or vice versa) would give pretty intresting results :)

although i may be shocked, i hated wahwahs till i heard the oohwah...

jonathan perez

how about a mellotron in a can...
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

zerohero

really random, but i love how you are using an Mbox, but recording into logic, being a music engineer myself i love that irony, also the fact that i love logic and am not a big fan of pro-tools

WGTP

Does anyone have the schematic for that phaser and does Small Bear have the parts?   I think the stun setting would be particularly useful for the cat and full on my come in handy next time I go to the mall.  Or, I guess you could just run it straight into the input jack.

On a more serious note, can you run the output to the input to sound like a JTM45 driven by a SHO.  :icon_cool: 

Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

phaeton

Quote from: RDV on August 22, 2006, 05:23:58 PM
Cool Vid.

RDV

Absolutely.  Zachary is good at presentation too.  I like the demos on his website, and from those you can tell he's actually a pretty funny guy, too. ;)  Nice to put a face to the name, too.

Stark Raving Mad Scientist

KerryF

Absolutely.  Zachary is good at presentation too.  I like the demos on his website, and from those you can tell he's actually a pretty funny guy, too. ;)  Nice to put a face to the name, too.

[/quote]

Same.  Hes good at these demos.  I can watch them all day.  And I like some of the humor on them too.

zachary vex

well thanks, guys!

8^)

and when i was in 2nd grade i snapped a rubber band at Cheri Capron because i thought she was cute, and it hit her in the eye and she cried tons of crocodile tears and i had to go to the office and when i went home i was punished as well (no tv or something).  but in the end, when we had our 25 year reunion, she was really fat and a total lush.  so i'm glad that didn't work out.  8^)

phaeton

Quote from: zachary vex on August 23, 2006, 07:08:31 PM
well thanks, guys!

8^)

and when i was in 2nd grade i snapped a rubber band at Cheri Capron because i thought she was cute, and it hit her in the eye and she cried tons of crocodile tears and i had to go to the office and when i went home i was punished as well (no tv or something).  but in the end, when we had our 25 year reunion, she was really fat and a total lush.  so i'm glad that didn't work out.  8^)

Didja ever consider that maybe the rubber band impacting the her eye caused swelling and fluid deprivation in her frontal lobe, and in turn set off a minsiculely slow but steady chain reaction that would one day turn her into a fat, smelly lush?   :o
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

jonathan perez

Quote from: phaeton on August 23, 2006, 08:34:03 PM
Quote from: zachary vex on August 23, 2006, 07:08:31 PM
well thanks, guys!

8^)

Didja ever consider that maybe the rubber band impacting the her eye caused swelling and fluid deprivation in her frontal lobe, and in turn set off a minsiculely slow but steady chain reaction that would one day turn her into a fat, smelly lush?   :o

MELLOTRON!  :D
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

zachary vex

Quote from: phaeton on August 23, 2006, 08:34:03 PM

maybe i liked her mom.  her mom was the sexiest woman on our block.  8^)

Cliff Schecht

Quote from: Mark Hammer on August 23, 2006, 03:59:07 PM
Wait.  You're suggesting that the cheesiness of everyone else's one and 2-knob phasers and choruses would override what the V-brain could imagine? :icon_rolleyes: I don't think so.

In grade 5, we used straight pens with nibs (yeah, I'm THAT old) and ink wells in the corner of our desks.  There was this....girl.....(I didn't know the B-word in grade 5) who sat behind me and would just poke her pen into my back through the slats in the chair all throuh class.  One day, I had enough.  She had jabbed me half a dozen times during French class, so I surreptitiously dipped my pen deeply into the ink well, making sure it got loaded up with as much ink as it could hold.  I held the base of the pen with one hand and pulled back on the nib as far as I could safely do, like Robin Hood pulling his bowstring, then turned around and let fly.  Shaeffer's pea%^&* blue never looked so good as it did all over her shocked face.  Revenge was never so sweet, nor so polka-dotted.

I'm gonna continue to pester Mr. V about doing something with phasing, the same way that gal poked me in the back.  Why?  Because I know at some point, he will eventually respond in creatively explosive manner, the way I did, and its gonna be the Jackson Pollock of phasing. And we will all have sly grins on our faces, the same way the French teacher did that afternoon.  :icon_biggrin:

Funny, today my dad gave me a Parker Big Red from the 20's that he used in college. I guess some sort of tradition is getting started here.

Doug_H

Quote from: zachary vex on August 23, 2006, 02:37:22 PM
2] we'll be recording the amp with everything on 10, as well as the clean setting we're using to demo the pedal.  you will easily be able to compare textures.  8^)

Wow! Sounds like a helluva good test! I haven't heard anyone go to that extreme to demo their "amp pedal" before. This should be really interesting. Thanks for going to the trouble for the benefit of stompbox science. :icon_wink:

BTW, I remember squeezing a mustard pack which exploded and ruined a girl's dress when I was in 5th grade. I didn't  get sent the office that particular time...

WGTP

I did the same thing with a rubber band when I supposedly was grown up and had a job, but it slipped off my thumb and hit ME in the eye.  Wonder if workers comp would have covered that.   :icon_rolleyes:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames