If I told you how to build this fuzz....

Started by Dragonfly, February 20, 2008, 11:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDD

The next step should be "How to build this fuzz from the nearest drugstore components". Waiting for the clips... ;-)
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

John Lyons

Andy sure like to build suspense huh?

Everything he builds turns to (fuzzy) gold.

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Marcos - Munky

DBDbadreligion

im definately in.  it sounds great and it would be fun.
Nick Landt

DBDbadreligion@gmail.com

Austin73

Well we might not have Rat Shack here in the UK but we do have the mighty MAPLIN!

Now make with the vero!

Cheers

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

soggybag

Post your stuff and I'll swing by the RS on my lunch break.

Dragonfly

Quote from: soggybag on February 21, 2008, 12:48:00 PM
Post your stuff and I'll swing by the RS on my lunch break.

its gonna take me a couple days to put together the schematic, parts list, layout, and instructions...

But if you want to pick up some stuff, I'll post the "preliminary" parts list for you....I think its all there, but I still need to double check everything. You'll also need a SHORT #6 machine screw and nut to attach the battery holder.

MikeH

Very cool idea!  When I first started building my biggest apprehension was the difficulty (at least I thought so then) of getting parts.  To know you could go somewhere and ACTUALLY SEE the component you're buying and make sure it's correct would make that first hump a lot easier to get over.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

DBDbadreligion

Nick Landt

DBDbadreligion@gmail.com

drewl

That's too much work.....
How about if I just stroll 10ft over to racks of parts in the lab at work and build instead? ;D
Sorry, I had to be jerk,
keep up the good work.

soggybag

You don't have a PCB of any type listed. Will this be a point to point project...

Dragonfly

Quote from: soggybag on February 21, 2008, 06:08:02 PM
You don't have a PCB of any type listed. Will this be a point to point project...

7th item on the list. ;)

brett

Mr Fly - What's with that second item? Fifteen transistors.  How many are in this thing?
Please, please show it soon. 
(Any chance of showing it at a link?  My work's web filtering system takes some of the images out of this forum's discussions. Arggh.)
Thanks for the great fuzzy work.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

zeppelinchld

i doubt that there are 15 transistors in this fuzz
its just that RS sells packs of 15 2n2222 2n3904 and 2n4401
personally i think its not a bad deal especially for a beginner, i also support getting the packs of resistors

drewl

Agreed, I always buy a bunch of stuff, because sooner or later I'll need it, and you usually get price breaks when ordering 10 or more items.

Dragonfly

Quote from: zeppelinchld on February 21, 2008, 07:33:11 PM
i doubt that there are 15 transistors in this fuzz
its just that RS sells packs of 15 2n2222 2n3904 and 2n4401
personally i think its not a bad deal especially for a beginner, i also support getting the packs of resistors

Exactly.

This is an EASY build that also "sets up" the builder with parts to continue in the hobby.

I'm trying to make things as simple as possible, including making the perf layout "look like" the schematic so its easier for the beginner to follow. It would be easy to make a smaller layout, but my primary concern is having a new builder be able to "easily" complete the build and have a great sounding fuzz pedal. The "15 transistor pack" also allows people to "experiment" and check out what each combo sounds like.

brett

Guys and girls - I was just kidding around about the number of transistors. 

Given what Dragonfly can achieve with 2 transistors and maybe a diode, I expect this would contain about 2.5 transistors.

Maybe its a weird Australian humour thing.  Or maybe too much lead and solder fumes and tiny schematics.  :icon_wink:
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Dragonfly

I knew what you were saying Brett... ;)

I just didnt want anyone to get scared off !  :P

Seriously though...this circuit is not far off from a FF...nothing groundbreaking at all...but has tremendous sustain, and pretty much is just a really great sounding fuzz.

gutsofgold

Hey Dragonfly, did you get a chance to check to your stock for the transistors for the swirly fuzz?

I think if I cant source the trans for that build I'll just give this one a try.

12milluz

Sounds great! This will be the first build on my breadboard when it comes in a few days. :icon_lol:
Quote from: Processaurus
You need a glade plug-in, in on a footswitch.  Kick on the big muff, then hit the air freshener pedal.

Visit my site: http://www.freewebs.com/12milluzmusic