mid-fi clai(not) schematic!

Started by doug deeper, February 16, 2009, 02:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rousejeremy

I just breadboarded the 386 section of the circuit and it can stand on its own as a great fuzz.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

doc_drop

Hmmm, it might be worth putting a pot between pins 1 and 8 to control the amount of fuzz...Or would that kill the volume?

rousejeremy

A gain pot between pins one and eight would effect the volume, but it's pretty damn loud anyway :icon_eek:. I guess a volume pot on pin 5 and the gain pot together could balance it out. Some schematics for 386 effects have a volume pot on the input though.

I wonder if this is the basis for Doug Deepers other 386 based fuzz effects?

doc_drop

Since you have it on your breadboard, maybe it is worth a shot. I built a highly simplified Noisy Cricket recently. I didn't connect 1 and 8 on the 386 because I wanted it as clean as possible, so it seems like this might be worth trying. If you give it a shot, let us know your results.

jefe

Quote from: doc_drop on April 21, 2009, 11:26:07 AM
Hmmm, it might be worth putting a pot between pins 1 and 8 to control the amount of fuzz...Or would that kill the volume?

Check out runoffgroove's Ruby:

http://runoffgroove.com/ruby.html

The 386 is somewhat unique (I think) as far as battery powered audio amps go, in that it has a variable gain. That's part of what makes it so fun in distortion designs, as well as mini-amps.

rousejeremy

Quote from: doc_drop on April 21, 2009, 12:02:53 PM
Since you have it on your breadboard, maybe it is worth a shot. I built a highly simplified Noisy Cricket recently. I didn't connect 1 and 8 on the 386 because I wanted it as clean as possible, so it seems like this might be worth trying. If you give it a shot, let us know your results.
I tried a pot between pins 1 and 8 It does control the gain, but it gets pretty farty sounding at lower gains.

doc_drop

Oh well. Some people like farty sounding, though... :icon_wink:

frequencycentral

Quote from: doc_drop on April 21, 2009, 12:46:15 PM
Oh well. Some people like farty sounding, though... :icon_wink:

Woah! This thing can do gated farty sounds too? Cooooooool !!  :icon_biggrin:
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

bluesdevil

Forgot to mention I got this thing put together on a pcb and got some real cool sounds out of it. Not exactly like the sound clips at the Pro Gear site, maybe because of the vactrol I'm using.... in fact, making the threshold pot a 2k instead of the specified 1k gave me a wider range of wackiness or control for some reason. Some of my favorite settings get me the Emerson, Lake and Palmer synth sound... so outrageous it makes me laugh out loud when playing through it!! :icon_lol:
    If Tim Escobedo would've messed around with that delay chip, this is probably something like he would've come up with. His "Ugly Face" and "PWM" circuits go hand in hand with this. If you like those creations you'll definitely dig this one too.
   Hey Doug, let's see the "Pitch Pirate" schematic.... PLEASE!! :icon_twisted:
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

frequencycentral

frequencycentral

Here's the layout I used, the pots took a bit of figuring out, initially some worked backwards.

rousejeremy

That's one good lookin' layout.

frequencycentral

Has anyone figured out a 'fuzz lift' mod for this yet? So you can get the same effects but clean? I'm just in the process of doing a few mods, I've just breadboarded an LFO to pulse the LED in place of the output of the 386. Nice vibrato as well as some extreme sounds, and you can still get that 'worn out tape echo' effect.

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: frequencycentral on May 06, 2009, 03:00:15 PM
Has anyone figured out a 'fuzz lift' mod for this yet? So you can get the same effects but clean? I'm just in the process of doing a few mods, I've just breadboarded an LFO to pulse the LED in place of the output of the 386. Nice vibrato as well as some extreme sounds, and you can still get that 'worn out tape echo' effect.

I think the 386 gain is controlled by pins 1 and 5.  If they are jumpered like that, you get maximum gain.  Adding a pot between the pins would enable you to  decrease the gain.

I think in the app notes there is something about a cap and a resistor, for a gain control also.
Try a little tenderness.

frequencycentral

Quote from: tiges_ tendres on May 06, 2009, 03:33:45 PM

I think the 386 gain is controlled by pins 1 and 5.  If they are jumpered like that, you get maximum gain.  Adding a pot between the pins would enable you to  decrease the gain.

I think in the app notes there is something about a cap and a resistor, for a gain control also.

Ah yes, but pins 1 and 8, I'll try breaking that jumper and see what happens, thanks Steve!

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: frequencycentral on May 06, 2009, 03:45:57 PM
Quote from: tiges_ tendres on May 06, 2009, 03:33:45 PM

Ah yes, but pins 1 and 8, I'll try breaking that jumper and see what happens, thanks Steve!
Sorry, 1 and 8.  I always get that mixed up.
Try a little tenderness.

doug deeper

yep, remove the jumper and the cap resistor that goes to ground from the same pins.
the envelope settings will be quite different though.

frequencycentral

Quote from: doug deeper on May 06, 2009, 08:32:56 PM
yep, remove the jumper and the cap resistor that goes to ground from the same pins.
the envelope settings will be quite different though.

Thanks Doug, I've actually removed the envelope connection to the LED and added an LFO to modulate the LED/LDR instead. Sounds pretty cool, and a little more 'predictable'. It can do some real cool chorus - very Cocteau Twins. With more extreme depth settings it's into synthy type heavy modulation. The LFO I added goes into the audio range, so some weird clangy FM type sounds are also available. Slower LFO speed do that old tape echo sound really well. It's certainly fun to tinker with, and very rewarding, it's got me inspired in all sorts of ways.

doug deeper

thats very close to the pitch pirate!

frequencycentral

Quote from: doug deeper on May 06, 2009, 08:50:46 PM
thats very close to the pitch pirate!

Har Jim Lad!!

You want to see what I've go planned next, a new project but definately an offshoot of this one. Delayed modulation, like the old analogue synths, where the modulation fades in only on longer sustained notes. Here's a block diagram: