News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Etched enclosures

Started by Johnny Lemonhead, July 15, 2010, 10:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hexjibber

Quote from: ch1naski on July 22, 2013, 08:49:09 AM
I will never understand how you guys get such clean etches.

I did a little photo guide if you're interested man..

http://diy-guitar-effects.tumblr.com/etching

guitarmageddon

pickdropper

Quote from: guitarmageddon on July 24, 2013, 08:23:41 AM
^+1 That's super cool.

+2.  Almost makes me want to give chemical etching a go.

deadastronaut

+1: 8)

parcel tape is a f....g nightmare imo though..

i use nail varnish on the edges, then tape sides with electrical tape...then i cover the electrical tape with parcel tape.(nothing is getting through there) .otherwise the parcel tape goop is a f....r to get off the ally....

just my experience...

i'll have to try that caustic lark one day...when i finally run out of ferric. :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Mustachio

Nice Picture tut!

I agree NaHo seems to give a cleaner etch. I did about the same thing rob when I used the NaHo caustic goobly gob. I actually used a pre mixed positive photo developer from MG Chemicals which is NaHo. Nail polish and tape cause the NaHo washes away inks and paints pretty fast.

Lately I have been just using steel wool to clean off the toner after an etch some how it seems faster. Then ill wipe it down with some acetone.

Your etches look great, really clean ! Love em!
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

Hexjibber

Thanks guys, hopefully it will be useful to anyone that's interested in etching :)

@Rob I know what you mean about parcel tape, I've found that just rubbing it with acetone removes all the annoying sticky residue pretty easily. One drawback with NaOH is things like nail enamel don't work, they just get eaten through in seconds, fortunately the paper I use rarely leaves any holes in the mask so I don't have to touch it up.

garcho

I use the steel brush dremel attachment to clean etched enclosures. It takes about 30 seconds and they're sparkling.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Hexjibber

Quote from: Slade on August 02, 2013, 08:57:28 AM

Thought you'd gone a bit quiet! :) That's quality man, great detailing!

haveyouseenhim

How do you ever find the time to do such nice etches? ::)
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

Slade

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on August 02, 2013, 09:07:00 AM
How do you ever find the time to do such nice etches? ::)
Did you asked me the same on youtube? Why are you so worried about my time? Please let me know, is it for the prize of the competition? Maybe you should write me a MP if you want to talk about it.

I don't have much time now, I made this one after many not so detailed etches this months.
Cheers!
Fernando.-

guitarmageddon

I don't give a shit about personal politics, I know a great etch when I see one! :icon_cool:

asatbluesboy

Great details and awesome pot/LED choice/positioning. I'd tap that even without knowing what's under the hood.
...collectors together and emitter to base? You're such a darling...

ton.

TG Flatline

I've been quiet for a while... so here's a few etches :)

These two are the same, Big Muff derivative for bass with relay true bypass, Mids knob, and filtered clean blend. The clean blend is filtered at just over 2.4kHz, it's very subtle but I just prefer how the clean and fuzz mix after doing so.

Guts:

This is another Big Muff derivative, two in one box and for a stereo rig, with a Depth switch to change the caps in series with the clipping diodes, and rotary switches to move the corner frequencies of the LPF and HPF in the tone stack. Makes for a hugely versatile Muff and lots of fun. The depth switch is an on-off-on DPDT with the caps in series, one from each outer lug to the middle lug (repeated on each side to accommodate both stages) and I used 47n and 100n as they were the values that best complemented the rotary switches. The rotary switches switch the caps in the LPF and HPF of the tone stack.

Hexjibber

TG Flatline

Quote from: Hexjibber on August 06, 2013, 04:53:19 AM
Awesome work man! Is it really for Dweezil Zappa?! Respect! :)

Aye for Dweezil! Cheers dude!! :)

ch1naski

It must sound really good, d.zappa  is pretty keen about his tone.
Mockingbird wish me luck.

guitarmageddon

Quote from: TG Flatline on August 06, 2013, 10:34:14 AM

That's awesome! 8)
How about a Tarkin gut shot?

TG Flatline

Quote from: guitarmageddon on August 06, 2013, 06:33:50 PM
Quote from: TG Flatline on August 06, 2013, 10:34:14 AM

That's awesome! 8)
How about a Tarkin gut shot?

Forgot to take a gut shot, I always do! I'm definitely building another one of these though so guts will be spilled!!