A/DA Flanger does TZF?

Started by Dave_B, September 29, 2006, 05:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

The other day, I was walking home from the bus stop, and a plane passed over head.  Must have been the cold air or something, but it was the single most striking doppler effect I've ever heard.  Rich, chock full of harmonics and deep deep comb filtering.  Ironically, my first thought, was "Man, that sounds as good as a pedal!".  Life imitates art, eh? :icon_wink:

Bluesdevil, that clip is real sweet.  The most striking aspect of it, and characteristic of the A/DA, is that you find yourself thinking "Okay, it's over now, and moment, right?", and it just keeps going and going...and going.  That sweep is amazing.

StephenGiles

Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 29, 2007, 02:32:26 PM
The other day, I was walking home from the bus stop, and a plane passed over head.  Must have been the cold air or something, but it was the single most striking doppler effect I've ever heard.  Rich, chock full of harmonics and deep deep comb filtering.  Ironically, my first thought, was "Man, that sounds as good as a pedal!".  Life imitates art, eh? :icon_wink:

Bluesdevil, that clip is real sweet.  The most striking aspect of it, and characteristic of the A/DA, is that you find yourself thinking "Okay, it's over now, and moment, right?", and it just keeps going and going...and going.  That sweep is amazing.

Mark, if you crouch down and stand up a few times whilst the plane is passing overhead, assuming you havn't passed out with the blood rushing to your head, the doppler effect is quiet extraordinary! - I just dug out my old AMS 100 Flanger to see if it still works, and sadly it no longer does. It has a bounce circuit which was quite good I remember.  I'm hoping it's just the 4739s and not the SAD 1024.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Mark Hammer

You're assuming I can bend my knees as well as I bend my notes, brother! :icon_lol:

StephenGiles

I'll be going outside soon and there's bound to be a plane or 2 passing over as we live under the stacking path for both London Gatwick and London Heathrow!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

StephenGiles

Not even a murmour of a plane outside! I tested the SA 1024 from my defective AMS 100 in the ADA Flanger and mercifully it works. Of course the bias trim was not correctly set and was just in the distortion range, but it still flanged, and my ears heard almost TZF. I don't like changing over SAD 1024s, too much chance of the pins being bent, especially if the IC sockets are different which in this case they were, one being 25 years older than the other.

BMF Effects

I noticed that the A/DA manual uses a scope for final calibration. What if you don't have one? Can the trimpots be tuned "by ear" or do I jeopardize damaging something? Sorry if the question seems foolish, but I really don't know the answer and I'd hate to fry something after all the work I've put into this.

puretube

Quote from: StephenGiles on January 29, 2007, 05:22:35 PM
Not even a murmour of a plane outside! ... but it still flanged, and my ears heard almost TZF.

that little fuzz-box over there
does the "TZV" (@ ~ 00:16) (1st clip in 1st post) with 1 clock...

bluesdevil

Quote from: joelap on January 28, 2007, 11:03:55 PM
Nice!  Would it be too much trouble for a clean sample?  If you've got time.  Just to emphasize the Flanger alone?

You really need the distortion on the guitar for the big jet swoosh..... not too impressive without it. I can't record quality "clean" clips yet, maybe later when I build the ROG Condor I'll throw some things up demonstrating the nicer phase/chorus type sounds you can get with it.

Quote from: moosapotamus on January 28, 2007, 11:13:03 PM
Holy frigging s#!+, bluesdevil! :icon_eek: Nice clip! :icon_twisted:
Quote from: StephenGiles on January 29, 2007, 02:23:32 PM
That's the one - wonderful!
Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 29, 2007, 02:32:26 PM

Thanks guys!! With those responses I know I must've done something right!!! I have to clear off my breadboard to start messing with the Bounce circuit. I'll check back in later with results and probably pleas for help.
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

StephenGiles

...but I've got some duff 4739s....heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!

jmasciswannabe

Hey guys, just sharing a problem I ran into. Last night was going to be the initial sound test, but before I plugged the sad1024 in I checked voltages one last time. To my surprise it read 3.7 at the in and out of the regulator. WTF!!!! Just that morning it read 118 on the in and 15 on the out. I was using a dc brick 18v out to power it. Anyway, after going on an insane rampage I sat down and started debugging. I was REALLY worried a component went out somewhere on the board. I fist pulled up one end of the diode and was getting 18v readings on both sides, but when connected back to the circuit went back down to 3.7. I lifted the 220cap. Didn't fix it.  Finally, the voltage regulator. I ended up cutting the legs cause i didn't want to damage the traces on the board. Luckily there was plenty ofleg room. Anyway, tested it out on its own,  and it seems to have bit the dust. It was only outputting 3.7. So, I am assuming it was just a faulty regulator, but could there be any reason for its early demise that you all could think of?

Thanks,
ian

off to radio shack.....
....the staircase had one too many steps

oldschoolanalog

Maybe the reg was bad to begin with; maybe it got overheated while soldering(?). Either way, you diagnosed the problem :icon_cool:.
off to RS... Sometimes a necessary evil...
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

jmasciswannabe

well, it wasn't bad to begin with cause I got the right readings before hand and hadn't soldered it anymore. I am hoping for a random failure.

RS doesn't carry the 15v regulators. DOH!!! They do, however, have the lm317 adjustable regulator. It looks like I could use a 100/1100 resistor combo to get 15v.......I am going to have to make a separate board cause I don't want to run the risk of screwing up the traces. Anybody have anything to comment on using the lm317?

Thanks,
Ian
....the staircase had one too many steps

StephenGiles

2 used PP3 batteries are good for me!

oldschoolanalog

Ian, Why not make a small adjustable Vreg with the 317 on a piece of perf (trimpot adjustable). You can then tack/clip it on to the PCB, and get the flanger up and running. When you get the right part, disconnect the board, and you will have a nice adjustable Vreg that can be used for testing future projects. Just a thought...

Build report: Finally got in loaded up, offboard parts in place, R check, V check, continuity check, SAD installed, bias "tweaked"(whew!), and... It fired right up! I don't have an freq counter, so I calibrated it by ear, doing the a/b thing w/my 3010 reissue. It sounds *sublime*, a sonic "dead heat" compared to the A/DA. It has the potential to sound even better. Once I get it over to my friends scope and freq counter (cost: one 6 pk of beer ;D), I'll really get to see whats going on. Till then, it sounds just fine. Now, I need a favor. Can anyone who used a freq counter, and the timing components R68-47R, R69-2M2, C29-39pf take two V readings for me? Heres what I am looking for. Both readings taken w/range full CCW (LFO off), taken at IC3c/Pin 8, relative to true gnd. What V reading do you get with Manual fully CW, and with Manual fully CCW? Oh, and what hi/lo f's did you set the clock to?  I'm interested in these 'cause I'm curious to know how close my ears came. Thanks to anybody who is willing to help!
I changed a few component values, nothing "earth moving", but, if you're interested...
C1-.22u   C2-1uNP  C4-33u  C7-.22  C28-.47u  R5-475k  R13-4K7  R40-51k  P5-250kC
Now its mods time. But, I think I'll take the day off and and play some guitar...
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

StephenGiles

As I have said before, in a band situation, I doubt whether it would sound any better than a Standard Electric Mistress when used from the floor on stage. My reason for saying that is, once again, the really flash almost TZF bit of the flange sweep is at such a reduced volume that it wouldn't be heard above the other instruments. If however it was used at the mixing desk, well - that could be something else because the sound man could compensate for the reduced volume.

powerplayj

Does anyone have an updated bill of materials that includes Mouser part numbers?  (Other than a few specialty items from Small Bear, I'll go the Mouser route just because I want metal film resistors in addition to some of the items that Steve may not stock.)  I've seen Charlie's b.o.m. revisions at  www.moosapotamus.net, but have not seen a complete list with part numbers other than the scant suggestions that are scattered throughout this thread.

If there isn't one floating around I may try to compile one.  In the meantime,  if anyone is willing to copy and paste their Mouser project list even if it is a partial order, I would be greatful.  I probably can't contribute too much technically to this thread but will be glad to provide legwork to get together a list with part numbers if others are willing to verify. 

Thanks,

Jason
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: StephenGiles on January 31, 2007, 11:53:51 AM
If however it was used at the mixing desk, well - that could be something else because the sound man could compensate for the reduced volume.

I couldnt think of a better reason (excuse to Wife ;)) to make a second one. Thanx Stephen!

puretube

Quote from: StephenGiles on January 31, 2007, 11:53:51 AM
As I have said before, in a band situation, I doubt whether it would sound any better than a Standard Electric Mistress when used from the floor on stage. My reason for saying that is, once again, the really flash almost TZF bit of the flange sweep is at such a reduced volume that it wouldn't be heard above the other instruments. If however it was used at the mixing desk, well - that could be something else because the sound man could compensate for the reduced volume.

(some-)one could arrange a VCA after the clone,
synched to the LFO...

StephenGiles

I know Ton, I have suggested just that in the past ;) ;)

oldschoolanalog

Upward compression? Somewhere?