DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: ianmgull on November 28, 2008, 12:18:25 AM
Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before but I can't figure out how to render a PNP image. I'm using 2.0.1 beta on a MacBook Pro. On the old windows version there was a render PNP option but now I can only export the image with components and text on. I'm I missing something obvious?

Thanks,
Ian

Here's what I do:

Draw the layout complete with copper traces and components. 
Use the "lock layers" function to lock either the pads/traces or components. 
Drag the components off, or the pads out from under, or copy-paste the pads/traces and move them to another location.  Basically you just want to get the copper traces separate from the rest of the layout or schematic.
Then, with the "blank board" tool, make a box around the pads and traces. 
The box is green by default, so change its color to white. 
Then you can export the image, crop so that just the box with the copper traces image is visible, resize (if necessary) and print.

svstee

This is a great program!
Is it possible to have multiple boards in the same layout? I couldn't find anything on that.

bassmasta17

Quote from: bancika on May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM
Hi,
I'm thinking about making piece of software for speeding up drawing perfboard and vero layouts. It would have library with components and user would drag&drop them over board. Also, it would have it's own format and ability to save to gif/jpg.
And of course, it would be freeware :)
Would this be useful, should I waste my time on this?
Thanks,
Branislav
where would we be with out that???
i play bass.
www.freekbass.com

DavidRavenMoon

I just downloaded this program... seems very cool.  I downloaded the java version as I'm on a Mac.  However I can't open any of the layouts I downloaded.  The Mac adds a .txt ending to the files, so I remove that and leave them with the .diy ending, but the software tells me they are an unrecognized file format.  I notice when opening them in a test editor that they are formatted differently from the ones I create.

The answer might be in this very long thread somewhere, but I haven't read much of it.

SGD Lutherie
Hand wound pickups, and electronics.
www.sgd-lutherie.com
www.myspace.com/davidschwab

~arph

bancika

The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

DavidRavenMoon

Ok, I figured it was something like that.  I'll have to look for the converter.

Thanks!
SGD Lutherie
Hand wound pickups, and electronics.
www.sgd-lutherie.com
www.myspace.com/davidschwab

lazerphea

Thanks a lot for this great software, Bancika! It is very useful and user-friendly!

~arph

Yes,

I've coded that converter... Have to look for it though. has been a long time. I'm just  too busy lately

cloudscapes

I've started using this a little this week for the first time in over a year, and last time I was only doing stripboards, not PCBs.

one feature I think would be nice is the ability to load a background image to the grid as a guide. especially useful if you're using many PCB-mounted pots that sort of follow a design. or LEDs or anything else that's PCB mount that has to do with the look.

I've also found a bug. ;) undoing will revert the page dimensiosn to the default.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

irnmadn88

I just downloaded the program and only fiddled with it briefly...

My hope is to take the DOD FX 90 REV A schematic that is available here: http://www.schematicheaven.com/effects/dodfx90_delay.pdf and take my REV H pedal and make a comparison schematic as part of the learning curve...

First question, please forgive the NOOB nature...

When drawing the circuit on the PCB, is there a way to flip the image? I ask because the strip side is obviously opposite the component side, and my first thought is that I would render the strip side in the program then place the components on the board... but I forsee having to do it in mirror form?

I have already listed what components are present on the REV A schematic on a separate paper, and will try and do the same for the REV H...

Barcode80

Quote from: irnmadn88 on January 13, 2009, 12:39:00 PM
I just downloaded the program and only fiddled with it briefly...

My hope is to take the DOD FX 90 REV A schematic that is available here: http://www.schematicheaven.com/effects/dodfx90_delay.pdf and take my REV H pedal and make a comparison schematic as part of the learning curve...

First question, please forgive the NOOB nature...

When drawing the circuit on the PCB, is there a way to flip the image? I ask because the strip side is obviously opposite the component side, and my first thought is that I would render the strip side in the program then place the components on the board... but I forsee having to do it in mirror form?

I have already listed what components are present on the REV A schematic on a separate paper, and will try and do the same for the REV H...
you wouldn't render in mirror. since you are viewing the pcb from the top in the program, you are actually looking at the reverse image already.

irnmadn88

Thanks... it make sense now that I have started rendering with the program.

Trying to get the strip side "graphed" is very time consuming...

scratch

anybody find that converter yet? to allow the V1 layouts to be opened in the beta version ...
Denis,
Nothing witty yet ...

Captainobvious99

73 pages  :o

Can we get a link to the program DL on the first page or OP ?

scratch

on any of Bancika's replies click on the "DIY Fever" banner at the bottom the reply to take you to his site ... You'll find the software and layouts there
Denis,
Nothing witty yet ...

mth5044

I don't think I can stomach going through 73 pages to find this answer, so I thought I'd venture out and ask  :icon_razz:

Is there a way to make 'ground planes'? I found out how to enlarge the traces, but that would make it big on both sides, not doing what I want  :icon_mad:

heh thanks  :)

Barcode80

Quote from: mth5044 on February 09, 2009, 09:50:10 PM
I don't think I can stomach going through 73 pages to find this answer, so I thought I'd venture out and ask  :icon_razz:

Is there a way to make 'ground planes'? I found out how to enlarge the traces, but that would make it big on both sides, not doing what I want  :icon_mad:

heh thanks  :)

To do this, i usually outline the ground plane with normal small traces, then once i have rendered the image i open it in photoshop and fill in the plane.

mth5044